PDA

View Full Version : Cross Platform :yingyang:

royL
12-26-2006, 04:14 PM
Hi,

I don't know if somebody else asked this before...

Is it possible to rum modeler on a mac and layout on a pcwin and have the hub to sincronize them? :argue:

Happy Holidays!!

eblu
12-28-2006, 08:19 AM
no.

John the Geek
12-28-2006, 06:36 PM
He's right, it's not a question of cross-platform though, it a lack of network awareness in the hub. The best way to connect a Mac and PC is through the network and the Hub doesn't know to look on the network for your other app.

On top of that, you'd need a second copy of LW to have two dongles to run both at the same time. The R&D is self-defeating, as there isn't enough benefit for the majority of users to do that.

=)

Castius
12-28-2006, 06:49 PM
Might be possible but it's not an easy setup.

http://interialabs.de/lw/tips/hub_redirect/

John the Geek
12-28-2006, 06:53 PM
Interesting way to go about that.

But his Mac doesn't have a Registry to edit. Nice to know it can be done though.

eblu
12-29-2006, 07:22 AM
like I said. no.

John the Geek
12-29-2006, 07:39 AM
like I said. no.

True, but your short, one-word answer offered no reasons why we should believe you over a homeless bum giving the same answer. You failed to offer logical reasons.

Chilton
12-29-2006, 09:09 AM
Hi guys,

The trick here is that the PC version uses TCP/IP to communicate with the hub. At least I think it does, that code isn't something I look at very often. The Mac version uses AppleEvents.

There are advantages and disadvantages to both, and I prefer to use one or the other based on what the situation calls for.

Right now the priority is on making the UB work better, and the hub, aside from general stability issues, isn't going to change much. It's a fairly simple application.

Will we do something more with it? Who knows. But for now, the simple and correct answer is the one offered by Eblu.

( Edit: now that I reread this thread, I see that everyone already knows this, so I'll get back to fixing things now...)

-Chilton

eblu
12-29-2006, 12:28 PM
True, but your short, one-word answer offered no reasons why we should believe you over a homeless bum giving the same answer. You failed to offer logical reasons.

and your slightly longer winded answer offers me any reasons to believe you over a homeless bum? I offered a 1 word answer because the question implies no understanding of the nature of the challenges involved. the question is not logical.

here's the reasons why:
1. the hub does not work as advertised on ANY platform. it tends to eat data, and fails to properly keep layout and modeler updated under normal circumstances. Newtek still suggests that you run without the hub, as a workaround for its "quirkiness".

2. newtek has SIGNIFICANT challenges developing ANY applications that are network aware. does anyone remember the name of the screamernet replacement that came and went before it was released? Have you noticed just how old screamernet is? have you seen what passes for "communication" in screamernet? Has newtek embraced ANY cross platform inter-application communication tools?

3. Currently Lightwave is going through some serious growing pains, there may be a day when Lightwave on macs, can talk directly to Lightwave on Pcs, but the technology isn't readily availible today, Newtek hasn't delivered a Lightwave that could possibly take advantage of such a communications platform (and they are working very hard on that, and it will take some time, and some platform agnostic network aware hub is not even on the list of future features), and it goes against the intentions, and the design of the application.

Anyone who asks if Lightwave Hub can sync the two LW apps between a mac and a pc, does not understand what's going on behind the scenes in the application, and doesn't need a technically deep answer. it can't be done, and chances are it won't be done when it can, for the foreseeable future.

John the Geek
12-29-2006, 01:54 PM
and your slightly longer winded answer offers me any reasons to believe you over a homeless bum? I offered a 1 word answer because the question implies no understanding of the nature of the challenges involved. the question is not logical.

here's the reasons why:
1. the hub does not work as advertised on ANY platform. it tends to eat data, and fails to properly keep layout and modeler updated under normal circumstances. Newtek still suggests that you run without the hub, as a workaround for its "quirkiness".

2. newtek has SIGNIFICANT challenges developing ANY applications that are network aware. does anyone remember the name of the screamernet replacement that came and went before it was released? Have you noticed just how old screamernet is? have you seen what passes for "communication" in screamernet? Has newtek embraced ANY cross platform inter-application communication tools?

3. Currently Lightwave is going through some serious growing pains, there may be a day when Lightwave on macs, can talk directly to Lightwave on Pcs, but the technology isn't readily availible today, Newtek hasn't delivered a Lightwave that could possibly take advantage of such a communications platform (and they are working very hard on that, and it will take some time, and some platform agnostic network aware hub is not even on the list of future features), and it goes against the intentions, and the design of the application.

Anyone who asks if Lightwave Hub can sync the two LW apps between a mac and a pc, does not understand what's going on behind the scenes in the application, and doesn't need a technically deep answer. it can't be done, and chances are it won't be done when it can, for the foreseeable future.

And that was the complete answer I was looking for from you. It's detailed and well informed. Simply telling us no doesn't offer you any credibility, the answer you just gave does.

=)

Chilton
12-29-2006, 02:46 PM
Here's a question: why would anyone want this? (I can think of a few reasons, but I thought I'd ask :devil: )

-Chilton

___mats___
12-29-2006, 09:12 PM
Here's another question, why the reference to the homeless bum? I bet there are "some" at least homeless codewarrior/C++ programmers out there? :D

royL
01-02-2007, 07:28 PM
eblu, I think you were one of those kids that told little kids that santa doesnt exist, but thanks to your answer and combined with your explanation of not using the hub i think I have a workaround (not elegant but I think it will work)

I think I can run modeler on the mac and Layout on the pc both without the hub but sharing the same content directory, its just a gess but I'll give it a try.(hope I wont get those I/O errors I get sometimes with the HUB)

is more than less the same way some people works, make the model, save it nad send the file to the animator.

Thanks guys for your comments and have a happy new year!