PDA

View Full Version : Graphic Cards for Lightwave 9

codyburke610
12-26-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi everyone. I need a little help. I just bought lw9 for my pc. But i need to purchase a graphic card. I did buy the nvidia geforce 7600 gt, but then a realized that that was a pci express x-16. my computer does not have an x-16. or an x-8. My pc has a pci express x-1 and just a PCI. I want to buy a graphic card that will be able to run lw9 real well. But ic ant find any cards that are good that are PCI or PCI express x-1. If anybody could find one online for me could you post the link. im trying not to spend more than 220 dollars. thanks a lot. -cody-

Aubade
12-28-2006, 10:19 AM
I'm using an old AGP nVidea 6600 with no problems .. do you have an AGP slot?

Might be worth a try.. just a thought :)

prospector
12-28-2006, 11:16 AM
My AGP X800 XT works well. If you just got the compy it has to at least have the AGP slot.....well unless you bought it used and only has a P-II.

codyburke610
12-29-2006, 07:40 AM
I only got my computer about a year ago, but it does not have an AGP slot. Really weird, huh? I just went out and got the ATI Radeon X1300. It is an old PCI but seems to be working really well with lightwave on my computer. Thanks for the help though.
-cody-

cdraptor
01-04-2007, 09:52 AM
If you got your computer in the last year or so and it doesn't have AGP, then you probably have PCI Express which is better. I'm running the Nvidia 7950 GX2 which is a single board with 2 processors SLI with 1 Gig Memory (512 per GPU). The new 8 series is out, and if your planning on moving to Vista, I would look into that. If your doing any OpenGL - NVidia is known for having better OpenGL support

Ramon
01-06-2007, 12:17 PM
I'm running the Nvidia 7950 GX2 which is a single board with 2 processors SLI with 1 Gig Memory (512 per GPU).
Wow, nice card, I bet that cost you a pretty penny! 400 to $500 range?

jcaesar
01-06-2007, 06:57 PM
I'm running on the nVidia 8800 GTS (PCI-X16) with 640MB RAM, non-SLI, and it works like a charm.

rwhunt99
01-06-2007, 08:21 PM
I would check around, I believe you might have a regular pci card, a odd sort, I'm not sure what brand of computer/motherboard you have, but I would check with any of the major card makers and see if they have a vid card to fit. Personally, I might pawn the MB off on a friend and get a new board with more up-to-date features.

:devil:

lots
01-07-2007, 08:48 PM
PCI Express x16 is better than AGP 8x. But PCI Express x1 is really only about twice as fast as PCI, which is not useful for 3D.

If your PC has only PCI and one PCI Express x16 slot, no AGP, this probably means it was not designed for 3D in mind. Though a real easy way to figure out which PCI Express you have is to look at the slot. PCI Express x1 slots are only about an inch or two long. (less than a PCI Slot by far). The x16 PCI Express slot is about the same size as AGP.

I kind of doubt how much performance you gain from SLI in LW.... If I had another 7800GT, I'd test the FPS with and without SLI, and we'd really see if its any use. My gut feeling says no though.

DonJMyers
01-09-2007, 11:54 AM
I kind of doubt how much performance you gain from SLI in LW.... If I had another 7800GT, I'd test the FPS

If you got two graphics cards (SLI) like I have you wouldn't notice anything speeding up lightwave in SLI mode. BUT if you turn SLI off you can use up to four monitors with your computer.

That's a big deal! Lightwave and modeler never have enough room. They always want to open more windows. And since everybody uses those two programs with photoshop, another screen hog, there's just no space. Having three monitors, as am lucky enough to have, really helps productivity (and sanity).

1 monitor is like a grade school desk. 2 monitors is like a college dorm desk. 3 monitors is like an office desk.

codyburke610
01-09-2007, 02:51 PM
My pc was not desinged for 3D. Actually it was only designed for Home Office use. When I bought it I was planning on only using it for video editing, not thinking that I would get into 3d later on. My pc does not even have an x-16 slot. It only has one PCI slot, and one PCI X-1 slot. Thats it. I called Nvidia and they only make two cards that are x-1. It is the old ge-force 5200. Which is the minimum requirment to run lightwave, and they make another one that is x-1 but it costs around 400 dollars. I just went to circuit city and bought the ATI Radeon X1300. It is for just my PCI slot, and seems to be working pretty well. The only time it gets slow is when I load in any huge objects into modeler. Like space ships, and robots, and stuff like that. I only have one monitor now. As of right now the computer I have I think is good for me. Evenetually in the future when I start really getting into lightwave I will upgrade to a better computer. Maybe next year? Would you suggest upgrading to a mac or just a better pc?
-cody-

PeteF
01-09-2007, 11:03 PM
I have a quadro fx 1000 128mb AGP 8x on my old workstation, a dual xeon 3gig. My current rig is a Boxx 7400 with Quadro FX 3450, 512mb on SLI. I would say that the newer rig is about 30-40% faster, (and not 2x or 3x as expected). However, a quadro FX card is more realible/stable and renders more accurately. The game cards do push just as much math around, but no one is gonna miss a few messed up/dropped frames in during game play. However, You don't want that for rendering. That's the added margins you get with quadro vs. game cards.

DogBoy
01-11-2007, 05:47 AM
Cody, it sounds like you have the graphics integrated into the motherboard.
if you don't have a PCI-E x16/x8 or AGP slot then the choices you have are very limited 8/ .

Most PCI-E cards need at least a x4 slot to run, and most PCI cards are a waste of money, there just isn't enough bandwidth to get any 3D done.

As for upgrading your PC, it is a matter of how much Mac OS or not. If you can afford a Mac Pro, they are the cheapest xeon box on the market at the moment. This may have changed by the time you want to buy.

If that is out of your range, I'd say buy buy a cheapish PC with non-integrated video.

I'm not really sure why the rest of them are talking about SLI and Quadros for though :D