PDA

View Full Version : 3d controllers?

Verlon
12-25-2006, 07:38 AM
http://www.3dconnexion.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=393#393

This thread from 3D connexion implies that Lightwave does not have native support for 3d controllers. Is this true? If so, can it added?

Here is the company's response to someone asking about LW support (and where they sent me when I asked):

Hi Sutsko,

Thanks for the question. This is a good opportunity to explain.

3Dconnexion does indeed develop custom solutions for some but not all of the applications that support our 3D controllers.
For the vast majority of applications on our list, the implementation is native. In other words, the application itself supports 3D controllers just like it supports, say, the mouse or a camera.

It just works and there is no need to install a plug-in. All that is required for those applications is our device driver, 3DxWare.

We aim to have all applications supporting our devices. There is no doubt about it. To that end, we advise our customers (current and future) to contact the Customer Service of any applications lacking support and letting them know how cool it would to add the feature.

Adding navigation support with 3D controllers is a simple programming task but is best done by -- who else -- the editor of the application.

We also appreciate if customers post here, in this Forum, any information provided by the editors regarding the support plans for 3Dconnexin devices.

DiedonD
12-26-2006, 01:52 AM
And what exactly are 3d controllers?

JML
12-26-2006, 06:49 AM
And what exactly are 3d controllers?
take a look at the link he posted.

yes it would be great if LW had that too...
they have this huge list of 3d programs that supports it and no lightwave...

SplineGod
12-26-2006, 07:34 AM
I think it would be great if LW support 3D controllers. I also think it would be great if LW supported alot of other things too. I guess in the grand scheme of things 3D controller support isnt even in my top 100 things I would like to see LW do or support. Maybe a 3rd party will. :)

Verlon
12-26-2006, 01:25 PM
Watching the demo video, I could see where it would be REALLY useful. Of course, add it to a long list of wishes, but it IS Christmas season, so I am wishing away :)

avkills
12-26-2006, 03:43 PM
Looks cool.

-mark

DiedonD
12-27-2006, 01:47 AM
take a look at the link he posted.

I did bro, but it just takes me to the reply that the member of 3d conexxions replied to him. I didnt saw any video links or something. Thats why I asked in the first place.

Bog
12-27-2006, 06:52 AM
Oooo. Wonder if I could get the Wii Remote working in LW? ;)

cagey5
12-27-2006, 07:36 AM
Link to the video

http://fp.vendaria.com/vpop/VpopV6.html?ct=13&ctname=CT630X556D630X390&fw=630&fh=556&logo=183&fv=8&ap=vnd_3dconnexion_knob_video&purl=MAIN_3dconnexion_knob_video&iid=CCEpFVMzIIuqlLIlmKqLFVMwlluqIJ&bg=FFFFFF&nm=BZOpener&curl=&err=0&title=Vendaria%20Media&pf=t&fr=t&tp=&BV_SessionID=&BV_EngineID=

MiniFireDragon
12-27-2006, 08:23 AM
It is an interesting device, and I would think they would build a device driver like logitech that lets you tell the computer what buttons do what (not sure if this isn't already native to Windows, since I have logitech's controller installed) which should allow you to remap the controls to ones that lightwave uses.

DiedonD
12-28-2006, 02:31 AM
Well now that Ive seen the video, thanks for the link btw, Im not at all surprized that LW doesnt has the drivers for it. It isnt the first high tech idea that LW doesnt supports it unfortunately. For example, these 3D controllers only have to do with viewing your object. While there are even more high tech issues like 3d gloves, and 3d monkey, that could serve both for viewing and animating our models that LW doesnt supports.
With 3D gloves back then I imagined that I could animate the model by hand, if not completely make a new one in Modeler. No matter what anyone says, doing it by hand, adds the feeling of craftsmanship, which has more meaning to me.
WHile the 3D monkey could be rigged and set like a doll, when upon movement your model on your screen would automatically behave the way you moved the doll.
Both of them cool tools, but no support for LW. It wasnt then at least. So this is a cool device, there are better ones, but not surprized at all that LW doesnt supports it :thumbsdow

animotion
12-28-2006, 06:51 AM
There are more important issues to be addressed in LW, I am not interested in this controller at all. :lwicon:

Verlon
12-28-2006, 07:10 AM
3dconnexion is owned by Logitech. You CAN map the buttons how you will. Its the view manipulation while not leaving your model that interests me most. I have all my gaming goop for remapped hotkeys :)

Simply put, if this is something easy to implement, I wouldn't mind having it. If it would prevent other features from being developed, I can live without it.

kmacphail
12-28-2006, 09:48 AM
Since 2003 there have been 20+ threads asking for spaceball/spacepilot support in Lightwave. Just over a year ago someone from 3dconnexion posted that they were talking to Newtek, but there's not been a peep since.

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40324&highlight=spacepilot

I don't care so much if Lightwave supported these products natively, but I would like to see Newtek add the hooks to the API for third party plug-ins to fill the gap.

Cheers,

-Kevin

Jackal5
02-20-2007, 02:18 PM
Well I guess that answers my question about support for this device.

Bog
02-20-2007, 03:05 PM
In Other News!

I have successfully paired my Nintendo Wiimote via a bluetooth dongle with my PC.

Therefore, a six-axis three-dimensional controller for the PC is now less than fifty bucks all in.

Therefore, we'd be absolutely bloody mentalist if we didn't start taking advantage of this ability before the inevitable 3D cursor-drivers for Maya, Max and smegging Blender start shipping.

I think Jay, Jim and Phil are about to get very bored of hearing from me...