PDA

View Full Version : Newtek, this is ridiculous...

hrgiger
12-24-2006, 08:39 AM
How about we do something about the spam problem?

Really.

Titus
12-24-2006, 10:43 AM
Maybe the first 4-5 messages of any new member must be first approved by an admin.

Ivan D. Young
12-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Maybe we could hunt down the culprits, roll them in honey and set them loose on an army ant mound.:thumbsup:

hrgiger
12-24-2006, 12:50 PM
Maybe the first 4-5 messages of any new member must be first approved by an admin.

That's what I've been saying. Volunteers? (raises hand)

hrgiger
12-24-2006, 12:51 PM
Maybe we could hunt down the culprits, roll them in honey and set them loose on an army ant mound.:thumbsup:

No, we shouldn't go easy on them like that.

prospector
12-24-2006, 12:52 PM
isn't there a proggy that lets us set up a return address an sends out a few thousand e-mails a min, so using thier IP address, we can backfeed them out of existance?

tyrot
12-24-2006, 12:56 PM
dear hr..

i knew you would come up with that..The SPAM posts are about to reach your overall Posts number..SO..You are defending your crown...
and I respect that :)

Best

Yog
12-24-2006, 01:05 PM
isn't there a proggy that lets us set up a return address an sends out a few thousand e-mails a min, so using thier IP address, we can backfeed them out of existance?Unfortunately these ******* have got wise to that. Now when these ***** get hold of an e-mail address, they don't just send spam to that address, they then use that address, and as many others as they can find, as the return address for any spam they send out.

I now get about a dozen e-mails a day saying another mail server has blocked mail I have sent out, which I hadn't sent. When this first started to happen I was worried that I had been hacked and was being used as a satalite spam node. I was relieved, if no less unhappy, to find out that it was only my e-mail address that had been hijacked.

Admin vetting of initial posts is the only way it can be prevented. But I have a feeling that Newtek probably have their hands full blocking the span that never even makes it to these boards.

theo
12-24-2006, 01:28 PM
dear hr..

i knew you would come up with that..The SPAM posts are about to reach your overall Posts number..SO..You are defending your crown...
and I respect that :)

Best

ACTUALLY, [clears throat] I think hr's 5k is mostly spam....:D

Kuzey
12-25-2006, 03:43 AM
I still say my idea with no links in the first 5 posts is allowed to get through is the best option at the moment....and hands free too.

Another thing, it seems that this section gets targeted the most, so why not try changing the name from "General Discussion" to say "Newtek- Offtopic" or something like that and see if the bots can't see it.

Kuzey

Kuzey
12-25-2006, 03:54 AM
Or have any new member answer a different question each time they make a post...upto their fifth post.

Ok here's another one maybe a bit better over all.

Why not change the internal names of the "Title" box and "Meassage" box to something different so if a bot use's Title and Meassage you know it's a bot and it doesn't go through.

That's enough thinking on my part :hey:

Kuzey

hrgiger
12-25-2006, 05:05 AM
I still say my idea with no links in the first 5 posts is allowed to get through is the best option at the moment....and hands free too.

That might work. But you would still probably have people trying to put links in short a character that wont' show up as a link to the system.

Kurtis
12-26-2006, 05:14 AM
We all know there's spam. There have been numerous threads on the fact that there's spam. We've also said several times that we're looking into ways to combat it, but it will take time, especially with people out for the holidays. Starting a thread about spam is itself spam. The best thing you can do is to simply report it, and someone will get to it as soon as they can.

If you don't like spam, don't read it, don't reply to it and don't discuss it. :)