PDA

View Full Version : Music and Sound FX Software

smmurph
12-23-2006, 01:48 PM
I can't seem to figure out what are good music creation and sound effects software. I purchased the new version of Sonar Home Studio XL, but I would equte the learning curve to learning to fly the space shuttle for a person with an IQ of 20, and with no training or documentation (all the documentation is for people who are using the software to record from outside instruments, not to create music).

So, I was wondering, what do other lightwavers use? I want something I can use to create music, create sound effects, put it all together including voice overs for characters, etc.

Thanks,
smmurph

cresshead
12-23-2006, 01:51 PM
if you have a apple mac then garageband [free with every new mac] is nr all you'll need.

Tom Wood
12-23-2006, 02:03 PM
I know the real musicians will cring at this, but I use one of the cheap versions of ACID. It's paint and play:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=971

This product also looks interesting:

http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=1013

smmurph
12-23-2006, 02:32 PM
Nope ... only a PC guy here ... Anything that is comparable to Garage Band, but for the PC?

I had an old version of Sound Forge and Acid Music but I could not get them to work. Now I have lost the serial numbers and can't get them loaded .. :(

Wonderpup
12-23-2006, 02:54 PM
Have a look at sonic fire pro4- easy to use and pretty powerful.

borkus
12-23-2006, 02:59 PM
i've been using audacity. it's not perfect, but it's free. they have a new beta out too, but there are stability issues

somecoolgeezer
12-23-2006, 03:10 PM
I can second Audacity and Garage band, both great tools.

smmurph
12-23-2006, 09:04 PM
I downloaded Audacity. It is an editor and recorder only. I need a program that I can actually create music and sound effects on mt PC without any outside files. Garage Band doesn't work on PC.

Thanks, :)

Jim_C
12-23-2006, 09:26 PM
Your 2 main choices are the already mentioned Sony Cinescore
http://www.sonymediasoftware.com/products/showproduct.asp?pid=1013
or the already mentioned Sonicfire Pro 4
http://www.smartsound.com/sonicfire/index.html

They both will do what you want and both have free trials.

StereoMike
12-24-2006, 04:33 AM
I followed the links to Sonicfire pro and Sony Cinescore. Can you use you own stuff with these programs or are you dependent on the theme packs and smartsound discs?

Mike

thecoolmuseum
12-24-2006, 08:07 AM
FLStudio is powerful and easy music software. I love it.
Free trial can export WAV and MP3.
http://www.flstudio.com/

borkus
12-24-2006, 11:07 AM
thanx coolmuseum. i downloaded fl studio and have been playing with it all morning. think i'm going to get the filmmaker edition for now. this thing is sweet!!!

JamesCurtis
12-24-2006, 12:46 PM
There is PC program [Mac too maybe] called Band In A Box that creates music randomly from a few notes its given or type of music, It's purely Midi based and it was/is about $100 or so for it. I have an earlier version probably about 3 years old. It might be still available. It was quite fun to play with. Google it.

smmurph
12-27-2006, 04:55 PM
I downloaded FL studio and played with it for a couple days ... very cool. I then did a search for it to look at some music mags and forums and found Orion Platinum ... way cool, easier to use that FL studio, and half the cost for the premium product ($159 right now for holiday special). Has more tools than the premium version of FL studio .. so I bought it.

Thanks to everybody for the suggestions. :)

Smmurph

tyrot
12-27-2006, 07:42 PM
dear wavers

how come noone mentiones one the most influential program of all time called. ABLETON LIVE... It is an amazing software... ANd with every update it is becoming more DAW..

LIVE and Pro tools for M-Audio Cards are my choice..(i have FireWire 410 and many other stuff from M-Audio)

And lots of vst...and vsti plugins

best

smmurph
12-27-2006, 09:01 PM
dear wavers

how come noone mentiones one the most influential program of all time called. ABLETON LIVE... It is an amazing software... ANd with every update it is becoming more DAW..

LIVE and Pro tools for M-Audio Cards are my choice..(i have FireWire 410 and many other stuff from M-Audio)

And lots of vst...and vsti plugins

best

Tyrot,

Which VST and VSTi plug-ins have you found to be the most valuable for you?

Thanks,
Smmurph

Aubade
12-28-2006, 10:05 AM
umm.. nobody's mentioned "Cubase" by Steinberg?

Pretty much the industry standard.. SE3 version costs about 90. Has all the bells and whistles .. *cough*.. including a very handy video synch screen.. ;)

McFilms
12-28-2006, 10:20 AM
Heylo,
I agree with Tom's post above. Acid Music, along with a few cds worth of live music loops is great. In fact, Garage Band and Acid Music creation are both done the same way; paint tracks and listen well. It has been a while since I was on PC, but by now they should also have MIDI support (I would think). Besides, you just can't beat the price.

tyrot
12-28-2006, 12:47 PM
dear sm

actually the usage of VST plugin will be determined by the music you want to make...

I simply make almost every kind of music...but for me the best of best for VST and VSTI plugins are

1- Rob Papen's Albino 3 (amazing arpeg. amazing soundscape)
2- Close your eyes and buy every PSP vst plugin they are bloody good.
3- I especially love Camel Audio's Phat and space.
4- They say (i didnt get yet) ..amplitube 2 rocks..I dont like NI Guitar Rig)
5- They also say Massive from NI is pretty good..Actually NI rocks when it comes to Vsti
6- There are many many many free but cool vsti -vsts..
The only place you need

http://www.kvraudio.com

everything released and will be released is there. you dont need any other webpage for anykind of info on music softwares..

BEST

tyrot
12-28-2006, 01:12 PM
dear sm

how could i forget mind bending softsynth called
"Z3ta+" from rgcaudio.

for your drum needs you just need "Ezdrummer..."

there are lots of strings libraries but i rather use the oldie goldie "Edirol's Orchestral " You can hear one little piece i composed and played with it..

http://www.vitili-go.com/rename.mp3

Best (again .. i may go on till morning..i should stop somewhere..)

borkus
12-28-2006, 05:40 PM
wow, tyrot. that was really good!!! very much like a zelda type atmosphere to it. or final fantasy. how much background do you have in music to make something like that? please don't say "just a little". because i have "just a little" with guitar, piano, drums, and bass. and i couldn't come up with a piece that composed and rythmic. the overall feel of the piece is very nice and relaxing. that's a really big compliment considering i'm a metal head.

tyrot
12-28-2006, 06:22 PM
dear borkus...

actually i cant read or write any notes..but i am an obsessive follower of british classical music (holsts, Vaughan williams , walton) and very fanatical about Bruckner's work.. Probably the sense of those great pieces have this influence. And i am pretty metal head too. From entombed to obituary, rammstein to even nu-metal. (i played lead guitar for a long long time and keyboard as well)

when you have that thing inside of you, you just dont think ..you just play it and eventually it comes out. How does it come out? First you gotta breath those emotions. You really have to listen Bruckner's 8th symphony or Sibelius 2nd or Vaughan Williams' 5 th symphony (especially Lento) for days even weeks..Because they say something. After some point you feel that inside of you and even though you dont know the notes or anything ..it comes out...

And for a start you may want to take a look Anton Bruckner's life. Amazing thing he didnt compose anything till he read Wagner's opera. After reading it he simply reach another level. Not just him, also GustaV holst was spending his weeks reading Wagner's notes..And he delivered that amazing tunes afterwards. So they were silent till they hear what they needed to hear..

So first take a fresh air of good - heavy Classical Music. (IF you think Slayer is the speed king ...I suggest you to reconsider this after hearing Richard Strauss mindbending Salome's Dance or Prokofiyev's Alexandre Nemsky) then you will exhale :)

and ah ..yes..you need one more thing..you girlfriend must leave you...too.

best

mdharman
12-28-2006, 07:46 PM
I used to use Sound Forge but switched to Cool Edit. Adobe bought it a few years ago and changed it's name to Adobe Audition. I love it. It works in single track editing mode or multitrack mode. It is much easier than Pro Tools and although PT is the industry standard, many radio stations use this software. It also comes with a few loops so it can do what Acid can do.

StereoMike
12-29-2006, 10:48 AM
Tyrot: Thanks for posting that tune, really liked it :) :) :)

Scazzino
12-29-2006, 11:42 AM
I had started to put together the soundtrack for my 3D animated short, BlastOff! (http://telebites.com/telebites/welcome.html), in GarageBand using some stock music and loops. I wasn't intending to have custom music produced for the short film, but I was contacted by a musician that did great work at very reasonable rates, so I ended up having him do the music. If anyone's considering doing their own music for an animated production, check this guy out, you just may be able to save a lot of time and end up with better music for a great price...

Tell him MikeS from DreamLight sent ya' ;)
(I don't get anything for referrals. He just did such a great job for me that I figured he could do a great job for some of you too!)

Adam DiTroia - Composer/Sound Designer (http://www.ditroiaaudiocreations.com/)

:thumbsup:

DiscreetFX
12-29-2006, 03:40 PM
If you also want premade stuff, Digital Juice has some amazing products

Lottmedia
12-29-2006, 07:06 PM
WOW, Ok, since this just seems to be a parade of titles, no one has mentioned Adobe Audition. Nice program, especially if you use the other Adobe apps (and who dosen't?) and it comes in the video bundle, which everyone should have:) My audio friends would second and third ProTools and scorn everything else, but for most of us that do more with image than sound it would be serious overkill.

Casey :cat:

borkus
12-29-2006, 08:05 PM
actually, somebody did 4 posts back. sorry, feeling hooliganistic tonight....

borkus
12-29-2006, 08:19 PM
too many brew-skies!!!

borkus
12-29-2006, 08:25 PM
speaking of brew-skies!!! http://www.losergeek.org/~niklas/bobanddoug.com/old/bdmovies.html

Aubade
12-31-2006, 05:12 AM
... Pro Tools (avid/digidesign) industry standard.

hmm.. depends which industry I guess. I'd never heard of Pro Tools 'til you mentioned it.. :stumped:

Cubase has been going for 20 years now and has certainly been the omnipresent industry standard in recording studios worldwide. As a lifelong musician who likes to play his own guitars, keyboards etc it's the best there is for me.

Also Steinberg were the people who first introduced VST tech back in '96, making it open source in '97. So credit where it's due eh? :thumbsup:

tyrot
12-31-2006, 06:53 AM
dear audabe

pro-tools is the industry standard for years both film,tv and music production. Lets say when you want to send your CV to any music production facility Pro-Tools is De Facto standart. you cant get away without it..

Best

Aubade
12-31-2006, 09:55 AM
hehe.. thanks for the heads up guys.

We all, hopefully, live'n'learn eh? :)

StereoMike
01-02-2007, 01:20 PM
Tyrot, can you post some great free vst you know of (if there are good free ones)?
I bought an amateur software to play with, and it supports vst and dX, so I wondered what I could plug into it next.

(I bought Magix Music Studio 2007 - don't throw stones at me, at least it seems to work for little money)

Thanks, Mike

art
01-02-2007, 02:01 PM
I use FL Studio (already mentioned) and as a hobbyist I am quite satisfied with it. Personally, I find it quite easy to use. For pro stuff there are probably better tools out there.

I looked up that orion software and it looks interesting. Funny, it comes with toxic3 which is distributed by the makers of FL studio (and not free for FL users)

I second the link to KVR audio, that's the place for all your VST needs.

Briody
01-02-2007, 03:14 PM
Tyrot, can you post some great free vst you know of (if there are good free ones)?
I bought an amateur software to play with, and it supports vst and dX, so I wondered what I could plug into it next.

(I bought Magix Music Studio 2007 - don't throw stones at me, at least it seems to work for little money)

Thanks, Mike

Crystal is a fantastic free VST synth

http://www.greenoak.com/crystal/

Voxengo has several free VST fx plugins.

http://www.voxengo.com

If you like the sound of the Voxengo free plugins, check out thier other plugins (the ones that aren't free). Voxengo makes some outstanding sounding fx for reasonable prices.

StereoMike
01-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Hey Briody, Crystal is brilliant (what a picture :) )!
Thanks for that link. That was excact the kind of toys I looked for. Regarding Voxengo, these are alot of free reverbs etc (stuff that is in one or the other way part of every package), and I can't tell one from the other, what is better or why I should this reverb and not the other. I guess it will make more sense to me after I gathered some experiences :)

Mike

tyrot
01-03-2007, 03:42 AM
dear mike

there are literally insane numbers of free plugins even there are free VSTI SYNTHMAKERS.

And please check out KVRAUDIO's forums. There is wealth of info there. When i get back i may post you exact forum thread..You can just type Best Free VSTi plugin in the search area and dozens of threads will come out.

Best

( i m gonna check MASSIVE from NI soon...I think it may really answer lots of my wishes)

StereoMike
01-03-2007, 05:41 AM
Hi Tyrot!
Well, that's very exciting! I've been to KVR, but it's pretty overwhelming (I used their search on free vst plugs). So I thought a little head-up on favorite free vst plugs from my buddies here at the forum would get me far :)

Briody
01-03-2007, 07:50 AM
Hey Briody, Crystal is brilliant (what a picture :) )!
Thanks for that link. That was excact the kind of toys I looked for. Regarding Voxengo, these are alot of free reverbs etc (stuff that is in one or the other way part of every package), and I can't tell one from the other, what is better or why I should this reverb and not the other. I guess it will make more sense to me after I gathered some experiences :)

Mike

For a nice free reverb, check out SIR -

http://www.knufinke.de/sir/index_en.html

SIR is an impulse reverb. Impulse reverbs use files derived from original sound sources (concert halls or even high end hardware) to create the reverb.

Tyrot makes a great suggestion about going to KVR. They have all the info you need about there.

tyrot
01-03-2007, 08:36 AM
my dear friend Mike

everything in one place ...you dont need to dive in KVRaudio at all. Actually i just remembered i have downloaded everything from here...

here ya go..it cost me another harddrive :) I am simply VSTi maniac...

(and BEWARE my friend, your wife would not be happy if you have THIS VSTi - music hobby as well...LW + VST music = LIFEinfrontofPC ...
But if you say i have time for everything......then click....)

http://www.audiomastermind.com/browse-free_vst_plugins-5886988-1.html

BTW ..we can really open a thread for LWer musics and put some WIP music even complete ones. It would be a nice and long thread for our multitalent friends. And moreover we would get enormous information from each other. There is a one keen LWer i know and he is one of the father of electronic music and he is a great producer. Who knows he may even get interested to review some of our works...

BEST

StereoMike
01-03-2007, 08:39 AM
And off I go...

*thanks everyone a last time und pushes button*

StereoMike
01-03-2007, 08:55 AM
Thanks Tyrot, alot of nice VSTi overthere :)
I got my wife in the same room now (bought her a comfortable laying chair and put it into my home office), so she and the soon-to-arrive baby can have more time with me and I with them. See, now I can live in front of the PC and can still have a RL hehe!

My guess would be, that we should get quite a number of people together that'd be interested in such a thread (or even a forum section), cause most of us have to deal with editing sound and music according to our animations, buying music and remixing it to fit to the scenes etc...

Mike

Briody
01-03-2007, 09:29 AM
BTW ..we can really open a thread for LWer musics and put some WIP music even complete ones. It would be a nice and long thread for our multitalent friends. And moreover we would get enormous information from each other. There is a one keen LWer i know and he is one of the father of electronic music and he is a great producer. Who knows he may even get interested to review some of our works...

BEST

That's a GREAT idea. That would be a thread I could at least contribute to. I usually only lurk here because my Lightwave skill aren't at the level of others here.

Mark

art
01-03-2007, 10:09 AM
Thanks for the link tyrot, I'll browse it at home. Probably a lot of it overlaps with KVR. I'm also a VST maniac.

Sadly, my computer needs either an upgrade or a clean reinstall (i'll try that first, ouch). My soundcard (SB Audigy) developed this weird problem. Whenever I do anything with heavy audio use (including some games, but mainly my music+vst software) the compurer comes to a screeching halt (literally) and I have to power i of manually. No error logs, nothing. I hope this is not hardware related.

Anyway, cool idea about the separate audio/music thread. It might take off. How about links to websites with free samples etc? I know only this one right now:
www.ccmixter.org
Free for non-commercial use

Lamont
01-03-2007, 05:17 PM
I use Adobe Audition: http://www.adobe.com/products/audition/