PDA

View Full Version : How to select and suggestion

simonwoods
12-23-2006, 05:07 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/lordnut/screendrag.jpg

OK, I'm trying to select the skirt and move points to match the body shape - its tricky, cos as you can see I can hardly tell which points are the skirt and which are the body, I have tried activating the cages, which helps, but why cant LW allow me to have the skirt selected and the body, in texture wire mode, and have the drag points corespond to the actual wireframe, rather than the points? It would make this task so much easier - or is there another way I'm not thinking of?

iconoclasty
12-23-2006, 07:08 AM
I would put the skirt on a seperate layer and use the body as a background layer.

SplineGod
12-23-2006, 07:14 AM
You could try BGConform or any of several free plugins (check flay.com) that will make an object conform to another.

Personally I wouldnt have legs under the skirt except where visible. That way you dont have to worry about polygons interpenetrating.

The drag tool will only affect the points of the selected geometry.

toby
12-23-2006, 06:49 PM
Also, the drag tool will work at the corners of the subpatch polygons, you don't have to grab the points themselves.

simonwoods
12-24-2006, 11:28 AM
Well in this case she has to have geometry for legs as the skirt is see thru - also, she has to get it off L8r!!

I cant figure out how to move the corners of sub patches tho, for me, thats just not working, unless there is a prefference for that?

Thanks for all the help - and merry xmas everyone!

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v697/lordnut/tamskirt.jpg

SplineGod
12-24-2006, 11:38 AM
If you plan to use clothfx to give the skirt dynamics it really wont matter if the skirt is modeled so that its closely matching the legs underneath. :)

toby
12-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Well in this case she has to have geometry for legs as the skirt is see thru - also, she has to get it off L8r!!

I cant figure out how to move the corners of sub patches tho, for me, thats just not working, unless there is a prefference for that?

Thanks for all the help - and merry xmas everyone!

If this doesn't work there's probably something wrong with your system/install

Extent
12-24-2006, 04:51 PM
Might be some confusion if he's using CC's, you can only select the corners of SubD's. You don't get guides either.

toby
12-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Ah good point. I don't use them since they're not well supported yet, and didn't think of it -
But I think you mean you can only grab the points, not the corners, right?

hrgiger
12-24-2006, 05:20 PM
Make the skirt and the body two seperate colors so they're easier to see when one penetrates the other.

Extent
12-24-2006, 10:04 PM
But I think you mean you can only grab the points, not the corners, right?

no I did have it right, tho the wording may have been confusing
SubD's - select points and "corners", has guides
CC's - select points only, no guides

And I'ld second hrgiger's suggestion. I'ld give them two seperate surfaces and then pull them around in a shaded perspective view until it's just right.

simonwoods
12-29-2006, 05:40 AM
Thanks for the replies, I'm finding the best way to proceed is to have a dual window set up, one on wireframe, one on texture, with the clothing item in the foreground - I'm knocking subD's on and off with the tab key to make it easier to move points when I cant find them.

It still seems to me it was easier in my old nurbs program tho - its dated and pretty useless to me but the interface was very good, it had a control click sub menu that handled all the main diplay modes, but I uess the real differnce was no guides - even with polys, which were not well supported, points were easy to find, epsecially since only one object was editable at a time - I dunno, maybe its just me needing to get used to newer software - LW is the only ploy modeller I tried