PDA

View Full Version : scaling textures

pdrake
12-21-2006, 05:51 PM
is there anyway to rescale textures in the texture dialouge and have your images scale proportionately?

something besides using a null in layout.

thanks

JamesCurtis
12-21-2006, 07:54 PM
None that I'm aware of, but THAT would be a nice feature request. Sort of a button that when depressed would keeep the size proportionate.

SplineGod
12-21-2006, 08:05 PM
This might work: http://www.kevman3d.com/files/rescale_textures_12.zip

bcicio
07-24-2009, 06:28 AM
The previous posts go back to 2006. Is there any built-in way these days to keep the texture scaling at a constant ratio (besides using a script), now 3 years later? You would think maybe holding down the control key might work, but it doesn't. Got an aerial photo I am trying to planar project onto a detailed surface. Automatically size brings it in too small and out of position. And playing with separate X and Z values for size, position and rotation is warping the image and also my brain. lol

Thanks.

SteveH
07-24-2009, 06:48 AM
I used to have trouble mapping aerial images to geometry and getting it to the correct scale too. I came up with these steps which works very well for me. I UV map the aerial to a flat polygon that is the same ratio as the image. I move it to the correct place and scale it up or down matching geometry I've built - and rotate the polygon as needed. Then I ID the points to get the coordinates - and cut and paste those into Acad to draw a duplicate of the polygon. Then in acad I get the dimensions of the polygon and the angle. I draw an X from corner to corner to get the coordinates of the center point. Then back in LW I use those numbers to place the aerial in planar - and it matches perfectly the UV'd texture. Maybe a lot of steps but really it's easy and accurate. Hope this helps bcicio. :thumbsup:

bcicio
07-24-2009, 07:24 AM
Thanks, SteveH. I have AutoCAD so I'll definately jott down those steps in my notes and try it out. Been playing with the script SplineGod posted and it did help me quite a bit. However, I've discovered that the aerial I am using is actually a little warped to begin with due to the flight angle, which was not noticeable without the modeled area under it. It's no wonder I was going crazy trying to line things up. Using the script and then correcting the slight image skew using seperate X & Z tweaks I finally got everything lined up in the last 15 minutes. But Newtek, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD - Please give future surface editors a "Lock Ratio" button!

dwburman
07-26-2009, 05:50 PM
Technique 1:
If you're going to the trouble to make geometry, another option to get the right size/ratio is to go to modeler and make a plane the same aspect ratio as the image map. Scale (use H instead of h) it and move it to where you want the image to be applied. Give this object a new surface name. Project the image onto the plane and hit automatic sizing. You can then copy the surface or just the texture layer and paste into the surface of the object you're working on. You can now delete the plane you made. You were just setting that up so automatic sizing would work. Of course, if the rotation of your image doesn't match your geometry, you may need to rotate the plane so that it's square in whatever axis you're projecting in. You might be able to then apply the autosize, then rotate it into place taking note of the number of degrees the rotation is. Use that number in the rotation fields of the texture.

Technique 2:
Normally, if I want to scale all things with the same aspect I just use LW's ability to do arithmetic in the input fields. I'll just go through the XYZ coordinates and add *1.5 to all the fields one at a time to increase the size. 1.5 is an example value... use something smaller than 1.0 to scale down and greater than 1.0 to scale up. That, of course, assumes that the aspect of the image as applied to your object is correct. If it is not, you could put the dimensions of the image in for the scale and then use this technique to scale the image down to the right size. Either way it's not interactive and will require a fair amount of trial and error.

An aspect lock would indeed be a good feature to add.

bcicio
07-27-2009, 12:44 PM
Thanks, dwburman. I knew the input fields automatically converted units, but didn't know they could do math. Thanks for the tips!