PDA

View Full Version : 23 pin to 9 pin monitor cable needed

brucegleason
12-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Ive lost my 23 to 9 pin cable thats used from a toaster 4000 custom tower to a older 1084 amiga monitor. does anyone have a spare or know the pinout configuration of the 23 pin so I can make my own?? currently I have a 23 to 4-bnc cable for an 19" rgb monitor but have to go back to the older monitor.

please let me know at [email protected]

Jim Capillo
12-21-2006, 01:08 PM
check eBay - they're available there quite a bit.

zacapa
12-23-2006, 02:34 PM
Ive lost my 23 to 9 pin cable thats used from a toaster 4000 custom tower to a older 1084 amiga monitor. does anyone have a spare or know the pinout configuration of the 23 pin so I can make my own?? currently I have a 23 to 4-bnc cable for an 19" rgb monitor but have to go back to the older monitor.

please let me know at [email protected]

Is there any adapter for conecting a VGA mon?

tonyvdb
12-24-2006, 11:33 PM
I have a Syncstrainer that will work with your Amiga monitor that you could buy from me for say $100US including shipping (Not made anymore). Your only other option is to find a Toastscan on ebay that will alow you to use any PC monitor but they go for at least $150US plus shipping because they are not in production anymore either.

rcook4
01-01-2007, 02:20 PM
Hi,

I sent you an email direct but just for my peace of mind I'm posting here too. Check this out at the Hardware Book:
http://www.hardwarebook.info/9_to_15_pin_VGA
http://www.hardwarebook.info/Amiga_to_C1084_Monitor

Regards,

Andy

billmi
04-04-2007, 12:06 PM
The 9 pin adaptor alone won't do the job.

The Amiga can send a signal to a monitor in either NTSC or VGA frequencies.

However, the Video Toaster software operates only in an NTSC mode (or PAL) mode.

Thus, you can't use the Video Toaster software with a VGA monitor unless it is a multi-synch (very rare these days - or even back in the day) monitor that handles both NTSC and VGA frequencies.

To complicate things even more, you can't even use a multisynch monitor with the Video Toaster and 9-pin adapter combo - the 9 pin adapter lacks a synch feedback line that the Video Toaster requires during its boot process.

So - if you have a multi-synch monitor, or NTSC monitor with 9-pin VGA connector you can use it only with a Synch-Strainer. The Synch-Strainer is a 23 to 9 pin adapter with circuitry to provide the synch signal the Video Toaster needs.

The other alternative is one of the Synch adapters as mentioned above - they will take the NTSC frequency signal and scan convert it to VGA to work with a VGA monitor. It is important to make sure, if considering one of these, that it provides the feedback synch signal required by the Video Toaster.

DavidDB
04-04-2007, 03:44 PM
You didn't mention which version of the 1084 monitor you have. Mine is the 1084S which has a female db9 connector on the monitor and the cable uses the composite sync pin--original cable and monitor bought in 1993.

This page has pin outs of all the variations of the 1084 Monitor and the RGB port as well as every other Amiga port:

http://www.rabayjr.com/amiga_portas.htm

The text is in Portuguese but the pin out diagrams are universal. Hope it helps

DavidDB
04-04-2007, 04:00 PM
If you need parts--especially the DB23 connector for the Amiga RGB port which is hard to find--a good place to get them is:

http://www.action-electronics.com

I recently had to make an Amiga RGB to VGA cable and they had all the neccesary parts for mere pennies. I paid more for the shipping.

billmi
04-06-2007, 12:23 PM
Oy, I was rambling about something completely different.

The 1084 is an NTSC monitor - You won't want a Synch Strainer or scan rate converter for it - it is the ideal monitor.

If I remember right, the early 1084s had a 9 pin port on the back, and the cable was 9-23 - the later 1084s monitors had a cable that came out of the monitor - no connnector on the monitor end, and that's what sent my brain

You just need a proper 1084 cable - Redmond Cable used to build cables like that to order. It is important to make sure the synch feedback is in the cable, for the Video Toaster software to boot properly.

mysticpixels
04-15-2007, 10:41 AM
I have a Syncstrainer that will work with your Amiga monitor that you could buy from me for say $100US including shipping (Not made anymore). Your only other option is to find a Toastscan on ebay that will alow you to use any PC monitor but they go for at least $150US plus shipping because they are not in production anymore either.

Do you still have the sync strainer?, I would be interested in it. Also does it work with a mutisync monitor?

tonyvdb
04-17-2007, 09:51 AM
Yes I still have the Sync strainer for sale, PM me as to what you are willing to pay for it, They usually go for around $80US on ebay (paypal is the easiest way to pay me).
The sync strainer will work with a TRUE Multi-sync monitor but make sure that it is a true Multi-sync as even though they say they are most will not sync down to the Amigas 15khz NTSC signal. The best thing to do is get a Commodore 1960 monitor to use with the sync strainer.