PDA

View Full Version : Express yourself!

stealthoperator
12-21-2006, 12:56 PM
Hya!

I have set up a normal displacement for my model. And I want the displacement to be animated so that it looks like it is made of clay or so.

So I created an expression that randomly rotates my displacement texture (some procedural noise) using the random(x,y) command.

So far so good. But actually, I don't want the displacement to move every frame. How do I do that?

I tried to set my expression to something like

random(0,1)*random(0.0,30.0)

which should give me about half the times a value of zero. But it doesn't.

Does anyone know what I could do to make it work?

Thank you veryvery much!

fgreen
12-21-2006, 03:25 PM
Not sure why you would want to use random displacement via an expression when a simple envelope on the rotation channel of the procedural, or even morph maps would be much easier to control.

BigHache
12-21-2006, 10:08 PM
Sounds like he's going for a similar technique that Aardman used in "Curse of the Wererabbit".

I read an article about it in a magazine, you might be able to find it online. I don't believe they used a random generator rather than just a few frames for the displacement map. What you could try is working with maybe five or so frames and duplicating them so that the animated texture only changes every 2-3 frames. So frames 1-2 are the same, 3-4, etc...

stealthoperator
12-22-2006, 01:01 AM
Yeah, that's kind of the effect I want to achieve.

So you suggest just to hand-animate a few frames of the displacement and then repeat the motion?

SplineGod
12-22-2006, 01:08 PM
I would try using the textured channel motion modifier in the graph editor.
Use a procedural and turn the contrast up pretty high. This will randomly move the channel and keep it on/off for a random length of time due to the contrast setting.

stealthoperator
12-27-2006, 01:47 AM
Very cool!

I did some tests and it looks the way I imagined.
Thank you!

SplineGod
12-27-2006, 04:35 AM
Good! Post some of your results when you can :)

stealthoperator
12-30-2006, 03:38 AM
I will!

Right after my hollidays!
Happy new year!