PDA

View Full Version : ".mdi" Files - Help Needed.

Nigel Baker
12-21-2006, 05:26 AM
Hello all,

Happy Christmas for starters.
I have some files from a client that have a tag "resource fork" on the end
called ".mdi" files, has anyone used these before and what application are they for.
Is it an Auto cad file extension or something?

Thanks for the help,
Regards.

Nigel.

THREEL
12-21-2006, 08:41 AM
Merry Christmas Nigel!

I Googled ".mdi" file extensions, and below is the info I found:

"What is a MDI file? It's a Microsoft Document Image ... kinda like a PDF, but Microsoft's version. When you get Microsoft Office 2003, this is one of the free installs. The installation creates a printer driver for MDI files. "Great... but why uses MDI?" you ask? Let me explain a little scenario to convey my thinking:

I'm doing some research on building a utility application to fill in the admin task gaps that a particular product we're using doesn't provide out of the box... But the functionality is in the SDK. As I research what's possible and things in the SDK, I want to take some notes on pages/posts I find on the internet. Usually I'd just print it out and whip out the highlighter. But there's no indexing or anything with that. So.. I'll print the document as a MDI file, then I can highlight, annotate, etc. And it's in electronic format so I can put it in my personal file share, I can search using any indexing service, etc. Just makes my life easier. Yes, I still use OneNote, another MS product, but that's for taking notes. MDI's are great for duplicating content. "Why don't you just copy it to OneNote and then highlight/annotate?" Because I do it this way and I like the Microsoft Office Document Imaging IDE.

Anyway, in the future I'll post things that I've annotated in MDI format. Those who have Office 2003 are in good shape and can read them. Those who aren't, sorry for now. Until Microsoft provides a free viewer for MDI files (which they should, and if they already have one, please let me know because I haven't found it yet)."

It sounds like other people have had problems opening mdi files, and the only solution seems to be MS Office 2003.

Hope this helps!:)

tHREEL, but you can call me AL.

Nigel Baker
12-21-2006, 08:47 AM
Hi Al,

Thanks for that.
Weird that word would not open the files for me.
Will try again appreciate the reply to the question and the help here.

Regards.
Nigel. Yipppeeee