PDA

View Full Version : Installing on Mac

al3d
12-20-2006, 02:25 PM
OK...this is my first time installing LW on a Mac. i use both platforme, and now i got a MacIntel, i wanna get it running on Mac. I installed it, drivers and all, but it's running on Discovery mode right now. i can't seem to find how to install a liscence on the mac version. on Newtek...the mac version as a liscene, but a different number for the Dongle..wich is weird realy.

So anyone can help me out with this?...i emailed newtek almost a week ago and still no replies.

Thanks

avkills
12-20-2006, 02:57 PM
Re-scan the dongle and then re-register it with the new number (Mac) and wait for license key.

Although make sure you have a Duo dongle. I have a Mac only dongle for personal use and does not work with the Windows version of LW. It should be fairly obvious if you have a Duo dongle (I think it says Duo or has two serial numbers on it).

Besides that, LW will be running using Rosetta (Emulation) for now, so you may just wait for the UB version and just keep doing stuff on your Windows box.

(don't worry, Chilton is chained to a desk working on the UB version as we speak.) I just hope they are feeding him. ;)

-mark

al3d
12-20-2006, 03:06 PM
how do i scan the dongle as you say?

al3d
12-20-2006, 03:17 PM
i can't seem to register the mac version..it sais it's already it..on a weird dongle key number

JeffrySG
12-20-2006, 05:29 PM
Hey Alain,
(it's Jeff from the SFM board)

I don't have an answer for you but are you switching your main 3d production machine to a Mac now? or is this a secondary machine? Either way I'm glad to hear that you'll be running LW on a Mac now!! Hope you get your install issues resolved quickly! I'll be curious to hear how you like running on a Mac as compared to Windows...

--Jeff

@avkills: I love your avatar! I have that exact 1978 Tomybot sitting on my computer!

al3d
12-20-2006, 06:01 PM
Hey Alain,
(it's Jeff from the SFM board)

I don't have an answer for you but are you switching your main 3d production machine to a Mac now? or is this a secondary machine? Either way I'm glad to hear that you'll be running LW on a Mac now!! Hope you get your install issues resolved quickly! I'll be curious to hear how you like running on a Mac as compared to Windows...

--Jeff

@avkills: I love your avatar! I have that exact 1978 Tomybot sitting on my computer!

Jeff...i always had a Mac..but the G4 was to old to run LW compared to my Dualcore AMD realy..but with the MacIntel...i'm very eager to try it out...if Newtek can freaking awser it's mails before i get to old..hehehe

Chilton
12-20-2006, 06:41 PM
Hi Alain,

In case I forgot to reply to your PM earlier, I'm still looking into it.

-Chilton

avkills
12-21-2006, 03:30 AM
There is a dongle scanning app in the main programs directory call "Register Lightwave". If the initial scanning does not work, re-scan for the Dongle. If that does not work; go into the dongle drivers folder and re-install the Eve3 2.3.0 software and then run the register program. If it still does not work, then chances are you have some funky PC-only dongle, in which case you can send it back to Newtek (with a RMA) and get a new one. I am assuming you have a USB dongle.

Run this app and you should get a 5 digit number. Go to the newtek registration online and re-register using this number for Mac OS.

You should then get the 16-digit registration key. Re-run the Register program and enter the key and click the accept. Everything should work.

-mark

al3d
12-21-2006, 06:24 AM
ok..i tried the registration programe..weird thing like i said is that it gives me a dongle number that's not the same as on PC. now..there is now way to register this dongle number with my old serial number since the website does'nt accept new registration with the same number....FRACK

Chilton
12-21-2006, 07:06 AM
Hi,

You'll get a different dongle number depending on the platform you're using. You might email tech support one more time.

-Chilton

al3d
12-21-2006, 07:21 AM
Hi,

You'll get a different dongle number depending on the platform you're using. You might email tech support one more time.

-Chilton

Chilton...is there a direct email intead of the form that needs to be filled on the website?

Chilton
12-21-2006, 07:48 AM
I suspect the form is the best way to go.

-Chilton

al3d
12-21-2006, 11:07 AM
ok..mailed them again...hopefully this time i will have someone get back to me

avkills
12-21-2006, 01:17 PM
What do you mean you can't register with the same serial number. I did with the company upgrade. I installed LW9 on the G5, the dongle number was presented, went and registered, received license key.

Installed windows version on my MBP via Bootcamp, ran the dongle scan program, received a different dongle number, registered it and received yet another license key.

So basically I have 4 license keys tied to 2 dongles (one is LW8, three are LW9)

Do you have a Newtek registration log-in name (different from forums)? I just logged in with mine and registered LW for which ever platform/OS I was installing.

-mark

al3d
12-21-2006, 01:21 PM
when i get to the registration page, it tells me my serial number is already registered

avkills
12-21-2006, 01:42 PM
Log in using the name you used to register for the first time. Below the Newtek CGI chick on the left you will see another registration area. Use that to register the new dongle number.

-mark

al3d
12-21-2006, 02:20 PM
Mark..that's what i'm doing...i select lightwave 3D..click register under the CG girl, then it ask for my serial..i input it...but it then sais this.

"All the lock IDs for this serial number have been registed. please contact.etc etc...trouble is the dongle number i get is not the same as my old Mac...weird

Chilton
12-21-2006, 02:56 PM
Hi,

Call the support 800 number.

-Chilton

al3d
12-21-2006, 02:57 PM
yep..just did..it finaly answerd..thank god it's a 800 number..or i'de be broke right now..;)

Chilton
12-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Awesome. So it is resolved then? Our tech guys are top-notch.

avkills
12-21-2006, 05:06 PM
Mark..that's what i'm doing...i select lightwave 3D..click register under the CG girl, then it ask for my serial..i input it...but it then sais this.

"All the lock IDs for this serial number have been registed. please contact.etc etc...trouble is the dongle number i get is not the same as my old Mac...weird

That is strange. What type of Mac was your old one. Anyway, I hope it gets resolved quickly. I know I get emotional and excitable (grumpy) when software does not install right, which is pretty rare on a Mac.

-mark

al3d
12-23-2006, 10:50 AM
yep..it's working now...waited 40 minutes on the line..but finaly got hold of the guy, very helpfull. for some reason..on the intelmac i'm getting another number for my dongle..so he registred that one. now...GET ME A UB VERSION...LOL..thanks all for the help.

avkills
12-23-2006, 09:47 PM
Hmmm...interesting. I will keep that in the back of my head when I go to the Universal on my MBP.

Good to see you are up and running now.

-mark