PDA

View Full Version : Vegetate with Hypervoxels?

bluesmike
12-19-2006, 09:19 AM
I do a lot of work for architects and landscape architects, and routinely have to vegetate my scenes with all manner of plants, groundcover and flowers. There are times when some simple models will do, or a few single or double-poly image map models will do. But then there are the projects, like the one I'm working on now, which call for extensive groundcover on slopes. To do this with models would be prohibitive -- too many polys, too much time hand placing.

So I've turned to coming up with my own hypervoxel presets to simulate all sorts of groundcover and shrubs. In this way, I just spray points in modeler, then movepointonBG to get the points to conform to my topography. In layout, I assign my hypervoxel presets.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this and if you'd be willing to share any tips or presets?

prometheus
12-19-2006, 03:48 PM
Yepp have tried this out..both with hypervoxels and sasquatch..
I believe the best results are from sasquatch thou, and it renders way faster+ its easier to paint a weightmap..or even use a texture map to control the density and placement of vegetation..

I think I have some rendered samples..to show..have to find them first thou..

bluesmike
12-19-2006, 06:26 PM
I haven't thought of that. I may need to purchase a full version of Sasquatch. I'll post some demos of my hypervoxel test renders. Thanks for the response.

SplineGod
12-20-2006, 01:51 AM
You can do some pretty convincing vegetation with HVs, Metaballs or standard geometry. The location of HVs can be controlled with textures and weight maps, particles or geometry in separate layers.

starbase1
12-20-2006, 03:04 AM
HV's are also a very effective way of scattering pebbles across open ground...
Nick

bluesmike
12-20-2006, 05:54 AM
I'm interested in more detail on how you use weight maps and textures to control HVs to create your vegetation.

SplineGod
12-20-2006, 06:07 AM
Its easier and more flexible to use textures to control where HVs are created rather then using weight maps. Anywhere you have that T button next to HV attributes means you can use textures to control that attribute. :)

You can use volume HVs to create shrubs or tree canopies or use HV sprites with tree/plant images mapped on them.
Instead of HV sprites you can use simple geometry with tree/plant images mapped onto those too.

cresshead
12-20-2006, 06:09 AM
quote:

now ya got me thinking!
i need to do some mars landscape scenes and maybe hypervoxels could do the strewn rocks all over the ground....

will have a bash!:thumbsup:

bluesmike
12-20-2006, 07:17 AM
I use the simple polys with tree and plant images mapped to them (using clip maps) all the time, but when I have to take shots from above, the flat planes of the plants and trees are given away and it looks terrible. I purchased some of the xfrog models, which are nice, but they're way too detailed (ie, too many points and polys) to use a lot of them in one scene.

SplineGod
12-20-2006, 07:41 AM
I would build some tree/bush canopies that will look decent when textured with leaves from above. You can also create the canopy using HVs (volume) or using metaballs.
You might also consider using QEMLOSS to reduce the polys on your trees.

munky
12-20-2006, 10:02 AM
Hi there,

you could also have a look at HD Instance from Happy Digital

Quote:

"HD Instance renders a little slower than LightWave (it's about 2 to 4 times slower) but it can render thousands or even millions of instances of high-polygon objects, literally trillions of instanced polygons!"

regards

paul

starbase1
12-21-2006, 01:32 AM
quote:
now ya got me thinking!
i need to do some mars landscape scenes and maybe hypervoxels could do the strewn rocks all over the ground....

Yep, works well. The way I did it was:

1. Take a copy of the landscape object
2. Delete the bits where I did not want rocks
3. Subdivide it a couple of times (NOT smooth, so the new points stay directly on the base polygons))
4. Kill polys
5. Merge points using a distance of the separation I wanted.

Here are a couple of old unfinished imaged I did like that:

http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries/Graphics/Landscapes/slides/biggybeachfuzz.html
http://www.starbase1.co.uk/galleries/Graphics/Landscapes/slides/watertest.html

Nick

zardoz
12-21-2006, 03:16 AM
here you have some tips for sasquatch (well...it's more like a render only, but hey it can give some ideas)

http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/lw/images/DesertSasquatch.jpg
http://amber.rc.arizona.edu/modeling.html

zardoz
12-21-2006, 04:11 AM
here you have an excelent tutorial for that (how to create bushes in the desert with hypervoxels) but the link is down and I'm using webarchive....but it is so slow...you can try

http://web.archive.org/web/20050915070741/www.synthetic-images.com/Tutorial/tut_1.htm

the important part is in the last pages, so go to the lower part of the page and click next until you get to last pages.

Bliz
12-21-2006, 08:35 AM
here you have an excelent tutorial for that (how to create bushes in the desert with hypervoxels)

amen to that. The bushes and landscape in my 'berry eating alien' image rely heavily on the techniques in that tute.

http://www.alienfoundry.com/comp_art/berry70.jpg

shrox
12-21-2006, 09:09 AM
quote:

now ya got me thinking!

I have often used HVs for rocks on the Martian and lunar surface for the stuff I have done for NASA/Ames. Looks good too.

bluesmike
12-21-2006, 03:15 PM
So with the full-blown Sasquatch you can control the distribution of the grasses (in this case) with procedural textures? This would be great, if possible. I have only limited experience through a friend of Sasquatch but have considered buying it. If this would help my vegetation work, by all means I'd get it.

prometheus
12-22-2006, 07:38 AM
heres some pretty quick mock up ..renders fast...and tweakable to all your desires almost..and since its sasquatch..it can be affected by wind forces.

nevermind the crappy terrain underneath..can and should be textured properly
and even more different sasquatch variation vegetation.