PDA

View Full Version : Death by coffee !

Snave
12-19-2006, 12:31 AM
Here my first post on Newtek after using Ligthwave for more than 2 years. A scene setup by staring at my desktop with my coffee spilled. I wanted to make it dramatic. c&C are welcome !

sirzero
12-19-2006, 01:51 AM
I think it generally looks good! Well done!
A few crits though:
- the leaves on the cup looks/are flat and extend from the actual cup. Don't know if this was intended.
- the bump on the table is a bit too much I think. Perhaps consider taking it down a bit.
- the coffee on the paper... It doesn't touch the paper at the edges and gives off a shadow underneath the coffee.

The general mood of the picture is great though :) With a bit more work it will look even better!

liquidpope
12-19-2006, 06:58 AM
This is really good, man. The "grim reaper" is genius.

Only 2 small ideas - the coffee's too dark and too opaque, I think. (I'll have to go spill some and see) Also should probably be a bit more reflective.
Some volumetric light with a little light streaking on the table might look nice, but you'd have to be careful not to pull attention away from the spill.
I also agree about the bump on the table.

Great first post, and welcome to the family!

Safe Harbor
12-19-2006, 08:52 AM
I expected to see a fly trapped in the spilled coffee... LOL! Very nice image. A little dark, but good composition.

Scazzino
12-19-2006, 10:25 AM
Looks Good! :thumbsup:

Here are a few very minor additional comments that may be useful.

Try roughing up the paper tablet a bit, it's a little too perfect.

Spill some coffee on real paper and notice how it would bleed into the paper making it wet and wrinkled, try to add that effect.

Make the rings at the top of the pad look more metallic (if they are supposed to be metal)

Maybe use the cover of the CD-ROM as an opportunity to add something else to the image rather than just leaving it blank. Even just some hand written contents of what might be on the CD-ROM...

The writing on the tablet looks too low-res for the image, it's aliasing quite a bit. Try making it higher resolution.

The inside of the cup is too clean, if it just spilled coffee, from someone who drinks too much all the time, it would probably have coffee stains in it.

Matt
12-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Is it true though? Will too much coffee kill me? I drink fountains of the stuff!

:scared:

;)

Tiger
12-19-2006, 02:38 PM
I dont touch it!
Saves your health.
Nice pic thoo!

axaboss
12-19-2006, 07:25 PM
In moderation, coffee is good for you. Its a DIEarrhetic. Reduces any chance of colon cancer, or did Starbucks make that up.

liquidpope
12-19-2006, 08:53 PM
Geez, I'm up to about a gallon and a half a day.
Everybody's got to die of something, I guess.

ALL HAIL KONA!!!

Snave
12-19-2006, 10:56 PM
Hi lo,
Thanks everyone for the warm welcome on this forum and I greatly appreciate comments and critics that are greatly constructive. I take notes of every idea and corrections to be made and will refine it later on. In the meantime I finishing another scene that I'll post soon !! :lwicon:

dean080580
12-20-2006, 03:33 AM
Hey Bro,
I am so glad that you finally joined the Newtek Forum board and you will find out how the people here are so much helpful and great artists as well. All who made it great in the Lightwave community after all have been active on these forums long ago. Some of them are gone now but new artist with great talent are arising and you are one rising star.

In terms of idea. Lighting and creativity, I would say that this is your best shot. The idea is genius like 'liquidpope' said. I would have to agree that decreasing the bump would make it a lot better and spilling the coffee a bit more will make it look even greater.

Otherwise, great first post and welcome to Newtek forum.

:lwicon: