PDA

View Full Version : The dreaded bevel! Is it me or lightwave?

williamb
12-18-2006, 03:24 PM
Was great to get LW9 because the text tools had more control, one being bevel.

I really cant understand why, when I make text and choose a bevel in ‘text layers’ that on some corners they still cross…and I have to painfully go and shift the points or weld them…and i can never seem to get i that right!

Example: try bevelling number ‘1’ Arial Black.

Find It hard to grasp why there is no auto compensation type of calculation that can do this for you when a bevelling is done…when your typing in text it should be easy…photoshop, in a few seconds I can have bevel…and several options…why not with lw?

Or am I doing something wrong cos I’m a still a newbie to lw?

SplineGod
12-18-2006, 09:46 PM
I agree. Its a real pain when there have been 3rd party bevel tools that have been able to do it years ago (bevel ++).

prospector
12-18-2006, 11:18 PM
Which is 1 reason I keep askin for LW 5.5 text tool to be brought back or redone for LW9.

williamb
12-19-2006, 12:32 PM
But its such a time waster!...time you can’t charge for! I virtually have to make text...change and correct all the beveling, then save each character as an object...and when I want to make words I paste them into place.

Where it can take ages is when beveling a 3d object and when you select on points to weld or drag, you actually action this on points behind the points you want to weld! Obviously you have to de-select them first but its all time….

Time is money….so speed is the essence of success! (grin)

On a positive note though…my wife is away for a week which means a diet of KFC, McDonalds and anything else good for me like battered scallops and chocolate pie.

Ellery Gordon
12-24-2006, 06:50 PM
In tight corners where the points cross on bevels, I have given up trying to uncross them, especially when so small an area that lightwave wont zoom down far enough. I just weld to the best located point, then triple any quads that are not flat.

If the area is big enough, you can manually uncross them.

If this is too much of a pain, play with the sizes of bevels till you find the largest that will work without errors, by viewing the finished product.

Gee, to have the bevels compensate automatically? Why didnt I think of that? I wish.