PDA

View Full Version : New "necessary" software overload

meathead
12-18-2006, 11:25 AM
I can't keep up with you guys...a quick review of recent posts...

"Kray open beta is out," what does that do?

"Terragen 2 is out"...there was a terragen 1? Their homepage doesn't even say what it does or is?!? Just download the mystery item here...

"Matchmover worth...." or "...versus Synthesyes"? These do what?

Vue? (with its ten diff versions)? You can spend hours trying to figure out the differences between them, LW doesn't already do this kinda work? Why is it so hard to export between them?

And don't get me started with the million different "necessary" plugins?!?!!
Most plugins are created to fill the holes LW can't, or has trouble with, right?

LW, needs to include all this stuff. Fpime, full sas, Vue, and all great plugins in future releases...and charge accordingly if they have to
I recognize LW's great price already, but wow, I feel I am being nickled and dimed to death by the outside industry. So much software to buy, that seems to cross over anyways...it's enough to drive you crazy.

Anybody ever build a list of "only the necessary software you need" for the average animator?

dballesg
12-18-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi

If you askwhat is Karay, if a terragen 1 existed and what are for Matchmover and Syntheyes, means that you never needed them, so why bother with people saying they are buying them or messages talking about them? Do not take offense here, please.

And Newtek CAN NOT (all of us would love they can) program and/or include every feature on this universe! :) They do not have such a big team to do it, neither such time to do it.

And I think is wise to buy only the software that you are REALLY going to use. Even when from time to time you buy something only for the sake "to hae a look to it".

But I understand your frustration with all those adverts and "Buy OUR wonderful software A, because your software B it is crippled with out it!!" :( Sometimes it is true, other times not.

Read the forums, use Google! :) Those are the better weapons you can use to not be confused for all the software out there! :)

Best regards,
David

Speedmonk42
12-18-2006, 12:17 PM
I want the CSI plug in, that instantly re creates all crime scenes.

Bog
12-18-2006, 12:55 PM
I want the CSI plug in, that instantly re creates all crime scenes.

It's been renamed, it's called zoic.p

I liked it when it did big [email protected] spaceships ;)

meathead
12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
If you askwhat is Karay, if a terragen 1 existed and what are for Matchmover and Syntheyes, means that you never needed them,...
And Newtek CAN NOT (all of us would love they can) program and/or include every feature on this universe!...
And I think is wise to buy only the software that you are REALLY going to use. Even when from time to time you buy something only for the sake "to hae a look to it".
David

I hear ya, and I agree with all of it. I only buy what I think I 100% need. But staying involved around here, means you see the limitations to all software. A lot of post are done for trouble shooting, and the replies are "yeah, you need that plugin, or that software can't do that, but this one can".

I build as much as I can in LW for 3d animation related work. But some times I find myslef considering the plugins that cost as much or more than LW-utterly rediclous.

Once again, I am not singling out LW or newtek, I think there prices are below the industry standard (part of the reason I chose LW and LW related products).

Ignorance is bliss as they say.

and Speedmonk, sensei is working on that for you right now.

Tank
12-18-2006, 02:00 PM
What's necessary? A 3D program (LightWave), a 2D program (Photoshop) and an editing program (Premiere). Everything else just makes life easier.

Bog
12-18-2006, 02:01 PM
What's necessary? A 3D program (LightWave), a 2D program (Deluxe Paint IV) and an editing program (SpeedEDIT). Everything else just makes life easier.

Fixed that for ya.

;)

Tank
12-18-2006, 02:14 PM
I'm looking forward to SpeedEDIT myself, but I'm not going to recommend it until I've had a chance to test it personally. Been caught on that too many times in the past.

Bog
12-18-2006, 02:17 PM
I'm looking forward to SpeedEDIT myself, but I'm not going to recommend it until I've had a chance to test it personally. Been caught on that too many times in the past.

Paul Lara gave me a good look at it. I wants it with my wanting. I've been rubbing myself with the little voucher for a free copy wot I won in a draw at Siggraph.

All the ink's come off it now. Hope they still accept it.

Tank
12-18-2006, 02:23 PM
I've been rubbing myself with the little voucher for a free copy wot I won in a draw at Siggraph.

All the ink's come off it now.

Anyone ever tell you you're seriously disturbed? :D

Bog
12-18-2006, 02:37 PM
Anyone ever tell you you're seriously disturbed? :D

Started with mah momma. Not stopped yet. ;)

Speedmonk42
12-18-2006, 03:47 PM
Maybe this brings up an issue.

Should Newtek(perhaps there is one, never seen it) have a resource on the site that links to all the plug ins? Compatibility grid?

Bog
12-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Maybe this brings up an issue.

Should Newtek(perhaps there is one, never seen it) have a resource on the site that links to all the plug ins? Compatibility grid?

*sing-sing Information Operator voice*

The Uniform Resource Locator you require is http://www.flay.com.

That URL again, www.flay.com.

Thank you for calling the Internetional Operator Service!

*beeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee*

borkus
12-18-2006, 04:30 PM
your too funny bog!!!

Bog
12-18-2006, 04:33 PM
your too funny bog!!!

Making jokes stops me going insane. That, of course, and the worms that whisper behind my eyes. They tell me not to kill. Not unless Jesus is going to give me a wholly unique and never-before-heard peice of music when I eat the liver.

I'm sure it's the same for all of us, really.

Extent
12-18-2006, 06:28 PM
Anybody ever build a list of "only the necessary software you need" for the average animator?

There's no such thing (as either the list or an "average" animator) Only you can go over your workflow and see where you could use different plugins. There are many plugins that people say are indespensible (*cough*Fprime) but that's really a stretch. To keep w/ the Fprime example, it's a massive workflow booster IMO, it makes scene setups amazingly fast, but animation happened before Fprime, and animation can still happen today without it. You could similarly increase your productivity by building yourself an 8 way Xeon workstation, but I don't see anyone saying that that is a requirement for LW.

Hear what people reccomend, keep up on Flay, know what's out there in passing at least, but don't get tricked into thinking that you have to get anything to get work done. If people are brutally honest with themselves I think you won't find too many who would say that without their plugins they would be emptying garbage cans at McDonalds because they wouldn't be able to work anymore.

SplineGod
12-18-2006, 09:26 PM
Others have already mentioned this as well but it really boils down to what you need to accomplish. If you have work coming up where you need to animate lots of furry creatures then you might want to invest in sasquatch or fiber factory for example.
I tend to base my purchases that way. I also tend to look for cheap(er) solutions as well since I do a lot of freelancing. Blender, for example is free and can do a few things LW cant do at all such as fluid dynamics. Free is certainly better then paying full price for realflow. :)