PDA

View Full Version : Free USB dongle on upgrade? ????

Speedmonk42
12-18-2006, 02:10 AM
I just read in the FAQ that the USB dongle is free when you upgrade. I upgraded 8 to 9........

Did I read that right or was I smoking too much crack again?

How on earth does one do that?

kilvano
12-18-2006, 02:23 AM
Not if you already have the USB dongle.

Is you have the old seriel one then its free

(i think)

Speedmonk42
12-18-2006, 02:38 AM
Yes I am a PD guy.

Do you just phone them or was it supposed to come with the upgrade?

Do I have to kill a chicken and drink its blood?

kilvano
12-18-2006, 03:20 AM
ehh....i think you phone and they post you a new one.

I think

cagey5
12-18-2006, 03:40 AM
The way it worked for me in th UK was, I phoned and asked for a dongle swap. They sent me the USB and I had 7 days I think to return my old dongle or I get charged for a new license.

tjacobs
12-19-2006, 05:03 PM
Ugh, I have just paid the 29.99 + shipping for upgrading to a USB dongle.

Nicolas Jordan
12-19-2006, 05:17 PM
Yep, I think from what I read you can exchange your dongle for free when you upgrade. I still have the old Parallel kind so I guess I will see if I can hold out until Lightwave 10 to exchange my dongle for a USB one. Mine is starting to look pretty old. Got mine with the release of Lightwave 6.0.

cagey5
12-19-2006, 05:47 PM
When I exchanged mine, I'm pretty sure there was a time constraint, and knowing me I will have only just met it, so time may have run out on that particular offer.

DMarkwick
12-21-2006, 12:04 PM
I was told by Newtek that I could continue to use my old parallel port dongle for LW9.

If one were to require a USB dongle, do I need to ask for it? I already recieved my LW9 upgrade (not installed yet) but I didn't get a new dongle.

Kurtis
12-21-2006, 12:12 PM
The dongle does not come automatically. It has to be requested at the time of the upgrade. If we come to a point where the USB dongle is required for all versions, we will announce it and let people know at the time they order the new version.

Right now, on the PC, the USB dongle is recommended to get you up to the newer technology, but it is only a recommendation. If you would like to upgrade before the next paid version, I believe there is a $30 fee for this. Customer Service can tell you more. Otherwise, the next time you do a paid upgrade, you can request a dongle swap at that time for no additional charge.

Keep in mind, you will need to re-register LightWave, and, if you have any plug-ins that access the dongle, you will need to re-register them with their respective publishers as well.

DMarkwick
12-21-2006, 12:35 PM
The dongle does not come automatically. It has to be requested at the time of the upgrade. If we come to a point where the USB dongle is required for all versions, we will announce it and let people know at the time they order the new version.

Right now, on the PC, the USB dongle is recommended to get you up to the newer technology, but it is only a recommendation. If you would like to upgrade before the next paid version, I believe there is a $30 fee for this. Customer Service can tell you more. Otherwise, the next time you do a paid upgrade, you can request a dongle swap at that time for no additional charge.

Keep in mind, you will need to re-register LightWave, and, if you have any plug-ins that access the dongle, you will need to re-register them with their respective publishers as well.

Thanks for the clarification Kurtis :)

So does this mean that I've missed my window of opportunity for a new dongle? I've had my LW sitting here on the shelf for only a month now, still uninstalled ('till I finish a big project) and I didn't know about being able to request a new dongle.

Kurtis
12-21-2006, 12:37 PM
You would need to talk to Customer Service. They will have the full details of how the process works.

katsuy
11-03-2007, 01:20 PM
Hi just a quick question about the parallel dongle to usb swap...since we will have to re-register all purchased plugins which could be a pain... I was wondering if lw will still read the parallel dongle if you got parallel to usb type of cable ( i know its not very elegant) ...also will a mac power book be able to read the parallel dongle attached at this cable, for example.
Its just a question since i was going to upgrade my pc and noticed some motherboards don't always come with the parallel port anymore..
is there any thought in allowing the usb dongle to retain the same parallel "lock" number in the future?
thanks

k

Tzan
11-04-2007, 09:52 AM
Its just a question since i was going to upgrade my pc and noticed some motherboards don't always come with the parallel port anymore..
k

Two years ago I got a new Dell with no parallel or serial ports.
So since I had a parallel dongle and a wacom tablet that uses serial I got this:

CompUSA
High speed PCI 2 serial, 1 parallel port adapter.
SKU 271773

The parallel plugs into a pci slot.
then the 2 serial are stuck on the exterior hole of the machine and attached to the parallel PCI card by a ribbon cable.

It takes up 2 slots but I had the room.

voriax
11-04-2007, 04:21 PM
Hi just a quick question about the parallel dongle to usb swap...since we will have to re-register all purchased plugins which could be a pain... I was wondering if lw will still read the parallel dongle if you got parallel to usb type of cable ( i know its not very elegant) ...also will a mac power book be able to read the parallel dongle attached at this cable, for example.
is there any thought in allowing the usb dongle to retain the same parallel "lock" number in the future?
thanks

k

I just went through the USB upgrade as we just upgraded to computers without parallel ports.
With the USB, the lock ID changes because the dongle you receive is just a generic dongle, not specifically made for you.
But it's okay, the customer service people just modify your Newtek database info to use the new lock ID and give you a new serial number. That is, once you get the dongle and can let them know what the lock ID is.

I considered getting a PCI card with a parallel port as well, but if you don't upgrade at some point, you're going to have the same problem with your next computer as well. Overall it's a painless procedure, you're just without your dongle for a few days. However, you can install LW with the 30 day fully working trial in the meantime.

katsuy
11-05-2007, 09:26 AM
thank you for the reply
i think i will upgrade to usb(seems to be an inevitable eventuality) just have to dig out all the plugins i bought and see if i can re register them without much hassle...

cheers
k

Simon
11-07-2007, 08:53 AM
Has anyone in the UK paid for a dongle swap recently and if so where did they get it? I can't find anything on the product list of Newtek Europe.

The only place I can find is onevideo who are expecting me to fork out 62 for a usb stick. That'll teach me to pay more attention when buying upgrades.

http://www.onevideo.co.uk/lightwave-usb-dongle-swap-p-200.html

GraphXs
11-07-2007, 05:32 PM
I did the swap when I went to 9 and it was a breeze to get my plugins working again. I just sent them an email saying I got a swap and gave them the new info. They sent back the new S#'s. Easy!:thumbsup: