PDA

View Full Version : Can someone please help me?

codyburke610
12-17-2006, 04:47 PM
My name is Cody Burke I am a freshmen in Highschool and attend The Acedemy for Video and Media Arts program for Vo-Tech. I am really in to video editing. Right now I use Adobe Premire Elements. I want to purchase Lightwave 9 (academic version). I have an Emachines computer. Not hooked up to the internet. I only use it to edit video. It has a 200 GB hard drive.Is 200 GB large enough for LW9? And it has 512 MB of memory. I know I need to purchase more memory to run LW9, so I was going to upgrade it to 2 GB. Should that be large enough? I also have a Graphics Accelerator 900 on my computer. But I still want to buy a graphics card. On the newtek website it says to get the NVIDIA one. But my computer does not have an AGP insert for that kind of graphics card. My computer does have a PCI graphics card input though, so I was looking at Best Buy and I found an ATI Radeon Graphics Card X1600 Pro 512 MB. and it is PCI. Will that card be good enough to run Lightwave if I just buy that one? If I would make something in LW9 about 3 minutes long and then save it. About how large would the file be? Can you only save the files as an AVI? Or would I be able to save it as a WMV. Just becuase if I make something in Lightwave would I be able to put that into Adobe Premire no matter what type of file it is? Sorry I have a lot of questions its just I don't want to purchase a program that will not work properly on my computer. I hope someone can answer these questions. Thanks. -cody-

codyburke610
12-17-2006, 05:02 PM
I forgot to mention that my computer has an Intel Pentium 4 Processor. It is also an XP and was purchased less than a year ago. thanks
-cody-

voriax
12-17-2006, 05:24 PM
Your computer would handle LW just fine, even without the graphics card. The graphic card addon would be advantageous, though. LW will run with 512mb of ram, but it will use virtual memory a lot which will slow down the system, especially if you do some heavy scenes.

Most graphics cards (including the x1600) are PCI-Express, so make sure your computer has a pci-express slot.

LW output can be as an AVI file, but if you're taking it into Premiere, then it's better to have LW export each frame as a separate file, and you import those files as an image sequence into premiere.
When you go to import files into premiere, there should be a little check-box in the dialogue window that says "Numbered stills", if you check that on and select the first frame of an image sequence, it imports as a video file.

File size is all related to what sort of file format you choose to use for saving each frame, but 200gb will be enough for your 3min animation.

codyburke610
12-17-2006, 05:35 PM
Thanks. So if I upgrade my RAM to 2 GB. Get the Radeon X1600 512 MB Graphics card. (pci- my pc does have an input for that). My computer will run and function just fine with Lightwave 9? No slowing or freezing up? My animations might be longer than 3 minutes but mainly around that area. Is it a good idea to purchase the stuff above? Thanks
-cody-

mattclary
12-17-2006, 06:51 PM
Cody, if your machine does not have an AGP slot it pretty much HAS to have a PCI Express slot being less than a year old.

You can probably get by (easily) with 1gb RAM. If you currently have 1 stickof 512mb, just buy a second stick of 512.

codyburke610
12-18-2006, 05:16 AM
Yeah, it does have the PCI Express slot. So i could just buy the Radeon graphics card, becase that is a PCI Express Slot. If I would get the 2 GB would it run faster than if I had 1 GB? Becuase I do have Adobe Premiere, and that takes up a lot of space. Thanks for the help. -cody-

dballesg
12-18-2006, 06:18 AM
Hi,

If your computer has a PCI Express slot YOU CAN buy an NVidia graphics card instead of an ATI.

Best regards,
David

codyburke610
12-18-2006, 07:47 AM
could you send m a link maybe of a website where a could order a Nvidia graphics card off of. One with a PCI Exprss Slot. Thanks. -cody-

dballesg
12-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Hi,

I do not live on the states, so I do not know good web pages where to buy.

But I saw many times that people buy on Newegg and other places doing a search on Google.

But I think if you go to Nvidia webpage you can have a look on the shop there.

Best regards,
David