PDA

View Full Version : I have a problem.

ShawnStovall
12-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I have lost my dongle, and I can't find it. How much does a new one cost? Will I have to get a new license?

Thanks

hrgiger
12-17-2006, 11:00 AM
I would think that you would have to be issued a new dongle with a new serial number for your Lightwave.

I've swapped dongles before and it cost me $35.00. Just give Newtek a call tomorrow and they can answer your question.

ShawnStovall
12-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Thanks.

cresshead
12-17-2006, 06:07 PM
you might have to claim on your house insurance as the dongle is deemed to 'be' your liecence for lightwave...hope you find it!...

here's a hint if you do...or indeed WHEN you get a new one....get a usb extension cable and attatch the dongle to that...and NEVER..EVER...disconect it from that extension cable...it's much simpler to find a 1.2m usb cable and attatched dongle than a 4 cm dongle sn't it?

Silkrooster
12-17-2006, 08:28 PM
you might have to claim on your house insurance as the dongle is deemed to 'be' your liecence for lightwave...hope you find it!...

here's a hint if you do...or indeed WHEN you get a new one....get a usb extension cable and attatch the dongle to that...and NEVER..EVER...disconect it from that extension cable...it's much simpler to find a 1.2m usb cable and attatched dongle than a 4 cm dongle sn't it?
Another option The dongle has a hole at one end, when traveling, attach a tether cord (kind you wear around your neck or belt) attach it to the dongle, or attach it to your key ring.
The tether cord could also connect to the security hole on a laptop.
Just a few ideas for your new dongle.
Silk

Bog
12-18-2006, 04:17 AM
it's much simpler to find a 1.2m usb cable and attatched dongle than a 4 cm dongle sn't it?

True that. I was rummaging through an old backpack and found my Messiah dongle. I think it's under this Christmas card now... (thanks, Panikos!)

ShawnStovall
01-05-2007, 11:32 PM
Well, it's January 6, 2007 and still no dongle.....:cry:

THREEL
01-06-2007, 05:41 AM
Well, it's January 6, 2007 and still no dongle.....:cry:

X-Ray your cat!!! Sorry, Shawn. I couldn't resist that. But seriously, my dongle recently met its untimely demise in a computer moving incident. So, I know where you're coming from. You'd be better off with a broken dongle, then a lost one, thou. Do you remember the last time you saw it. If so, maybe you can retrace your steps and figure out where it might be.

A couple of places to look are inside furniture (i. e. sofas and easy chairs), down heater vents, and in-between the seat cushions of any vehicles you've been in recently.

I truly wish you the best of luck on the quest for your lost dongle.

tHREEL (AL)

ShawnStovall
01-06-2007, 03:39 PM
Thanks!!

ShawnStovall
01-08-2007, 06:10 PM
Well, I just e-mailed Newtek and they said it would cost $200 to replace my dongle plus shipping, in other words, I MUST find my dongle.

habaņero
01-08-2007, 06:36 PM
The way your brain works is with assosciation -- if you try to find the dongle itself in your memory and you don't get anything useful, "walk around it" eg. go with shapes that are similar, the color and things that are similar and rewind with that instead of the dongle itself, where you were around the time you last saw it, what you were doing, people you met. Also, its often in some pocket, maybe a shirt pocket or as already mentioned, deep in some chairs innards -- my almost went missing that route and I was literally centimeters from not ever recovering it because it was so deeply eh seated.

I am a little bit disappointed Newtek couldn't do better for you given you have been working for them for free on the OB and have a hungry cat. Then lets hope you find it!

cresshead
01-08-2007, 06:49 PM
don't ya just wish there was a ''search feature'' in real life....or an undo button...
...i was looking for a 9 cd disc collection of models for about 2 hours the other night...found it in the end but how annoying is it when you just can't fathoom where you put the blasted thing?

...i wish you all the luck in your quest to re-unite you and your lw dongle!

hrgiger
01-08-2007, 07:49 PM
I'm sorry to hear about that Shawn, that stinks.

I think we should all send Shawn 5 or 10 bucks and help the brother out.

ShawnStovall
01-08-2007, 08:48 PM
Thanks everyone, I really appreciate the ideas.:)

Verlon
01-08-2007, 11:36 PM
You could also set up a couple of USB ports inside the computer case and leave the dongle(s) there so they are never lost.

I am about to the point now where I wish microsoft would do something like that with windows rather than this other activation nonsense..

ShawnStovall
01-19-2007, 10:46 PM
Well, it has now been over a month and still no dongle. It looks as if I have to find a way to cough up $200, wait till we do another renovation, or just stop using Lightwave. We have been searching non-stop and things are starting to look glum.

cresshead
01-19-2007, 10:50 PM
could you not claim on your home insurance?...
it must be VERY annoying...i lost my max 5000 model dvd's for a day and that really put me in a bad mood...found them in the end though....and a while back i lost a borrowed lightwave tutorial video...had to buy another one..then month's later i found the lost one!

ShawnStovall
01-19-2007, 10:51 PM
Thanks. BTW, I'm 14 and have no way of getting $200 or claiming it on house insurance:).

ShawnStovall
02-26-2007, 09:43 AM
Just an update, still no dongle.:cry: :bangwall:

Elmar Moelzer
02-26-2007, 12:28 PM
Dont your parents have house insurance then?
I am really sorry about that. I lost my passport the other day (dont ask me how that could happen). Still drives me nuts to think about it.
CU
Elmar

Captain Obvious
02-26-2007, 01:39 PM
I am really sorry about that. I lost my passport the other day (dont ask me how that could happen). Still drives me nuts to think about it.
Oh god, don't get me started on losing passports. I lost mine a few weeks ago. That is, I lost my swedish passport, here in London. I kind of need it, since I'm not a UK citizen. I kind of needed it, because I had tickets back to Sweden a mere week after I lost it. What a pain in the ***. I could've gotten a new short-term passport from the Swedish embassy, but the total* cost would've been in the $400 range. Annoying, yes? Then I figured I probably lost it in the pub, and I went back and asked them. Somehow, someone there had found it, and kept it. I actually got my passport back after dropping it in a busy pub in London. What are the chances?

*(passport + taking a day off to sort it out + long term passport later on)

Sorry to hear about your dongle! :(

Lottmedia
02-26-2007, 11:52 PM
Another instance of why dongles are completely stupid. I've been on this before but gosh, why do we have to have this 1980s (ok that's poushich it some, but only a little) technology. Adobe's system works great, and they have far more products out there to worry about. I travel a lot and work on a laptop on the plane, I basically have to avoide using LW on trips for fear of loosing the darn dongle and basically loosing LW. Plus the annoyance of having something sticking out two inches from the computer to catch on everythign around, keepign track of the thing. With Adobe's system it simply regesters itself to the HD ad there u go. I can activate on two computers, so that's perfect for a workstation/laptop configuration. yes, people have gotten around it for pirating, but they've done that for LW's archaic dongle too. I've heard these stories about loosing a dongle and the replacement costs and it's ludricrous. Lets get with the times here, who else is using dongles here.

Casey :cat:

habaņero
02-27-2007, 02:30 PM
I heard Adobes system works so good that people are using the cracked version even if they have licences, but I guess taste are different. Hardware locks have in my world far worse problems, I have much more than two computers I want to use LW on and I certainly want to be able to use LW if one of them goes south.

I keep my dongle on my keychain and I reckon its life that losing keys are bound to be the start of something unpleasant. A small usb extension takes care of the laptop problem. 250$ though or what is what is a bit stiff , at least Newtek should discount minors. Shawn, have you tried to call Newtek and argue politely with them, and explain the situation? That you are the single and very valueable representative on the OB of the next generation of LWers? If you can keep a positive spirit to it and insist, there is often room for negotiation in many areas of life.

Lottmedia
02-27-2007, 04:59 PM
And people are using cracked versions ov every concieveable software out there, what's your point?

And I dont see how having another piece of hardware sticking out of my laptop solves the problem of having pieces of hardware sticking out of my laptop. Exactly what good does having a USB extension do?

Casey :cat:
(continually frustrated....)

ShawnStovall
02-27-2007, 07:53 PM
GREAT NEWS!!! FOUND IT!!!(Actually my mom did)

About a month ago we through out a couch to make room for a new one, and just before it was thrown away someone in my house rummaged through it and put the things they found in a bag. And just a few minutes ago my little sister knocked over that bag and some of its contents dropped out, sure enough, when my mom was picking up the mess she found my dongle.

If it wasn't for that person(yet to be identified)who went through the couch I would still be in deep trouble. Thank you all for your support and ideas!!

THREEL
02-27-2007, 08:43 PM
GREAT NEWS!!! FOUND IT!!!(Actually my mom did)

At-a-boy Shawn (Actually, at-a-girl mom)! :thumbsup:

Boy Shawn, do you owe some people, BIG TIME!!! :D

From your mom for finding it, to your sister for knocking the bag over, to the person who went through that old couch. You're going to be someone's slave forever. :lol:

At least, now, you won't have to X-ray the cat. HeHe

And now, you can get back to concentrating on :lwicon:. Yee-hah!!!

kevinone
02-27-2007, 10:36 PM
How do they get $200 for a dongle? I paid $625 for the whole thing.

ShawnStovall
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
They also have to change your license key so that they know that you just aren't getting a second copy of LightWave for cheaper then when you bought it.

I'm just happy I found my dongle!:D

habaņero
02-28-2007, 05:29 AM
Congrats Shawn!!!

"And people are using cracked versions ov every concieveable software out there, what's your point?

And I dont see how having another piece of hardware sticking out of my "laptop solves the problem of having pieces of hardware sticking out of my laptop. Exactly what good does having a USB extension do?

Casey
(continually frustrated....)"

My point is that many people find Adobe's hw lock solution to be such a hazzle to set up that they prefer to use a pirated version even if they paid for the program. I never heard this to be the case with LW, even though there are plenty of people that say they get annoyed by the dongle.

The usb extension (small usb cable) means your dongle won't break if you lean on your computer or something like that, which can be a problem.

Bog
02-28-2007, 05:38 AM
Phew! I know that terror - my dongle's frequently out freelancing with me, so it's a constant pucker-factor at the thought of it going walkies (it once got stolen, but equipped with a crime number it wasn't too much stress getting it replaced, thank Sagan).

Glad you're back with us, Shaun.