PDA

View Full Version : Modeler/Layout/Photoshop Stability Problem

Giacomo99
12-16-2006, 07:43 PM
Hello-

I'm running OS 10.4.8 on a dual G5. The problem I have is that Modeler, Layout and Photoshop are extremely unstable and crash-prone when used together.

For example: With all three apps open, I create a map in Photoshop, switch over to Modeler and apply the map, and then switch over to Layout and render it. If I go back and forth between the three programs with any frequency, it's almost certain that one of them's going to crash at some point, necessitating a reboot to get them all working again.

This seems like an allocation-of-memory problem--in OS 9 I could try to keep this under control by assigning specific amounts of RAM to each app, but in OS X I have no idea how to do that.

Please advise.

brian.coates
12-16-2006, 08:42 PM
How much RAM do you have installed?

It's probably just a lack-of-memory problem, since all three apps are RAM hogs. If you have PhotoShop CS or CS2 you can specify how much RAM it can access in Preferences.

I think the default setting is something like 75% of total memory.

BazC
12-17-2006, 02:11 AM
Yeah it sounds like a RAM problem to me too. If you're running under rosetta on an Intel mac you will be using masses of RAM. I had similar problems using PS7. Thankfully PS CS3 is now available in beta and is a universal binary and works much better on my Intel mac.

toby
12-17-2006, 01:13 PM
Sounds like it could be a Hub thing too. I used to use all 3 of those apps (and more) with only 512mb when my G5 was new, and it was no problem.

You could disable the Hub to see if that gives you more stability, and/or don't run Modeler, just apply the maps in Layout.