PDA

View Full Version : blood effect

Sibylline
12-16-2006, 02:18 AM
and hello again :)

ive had a little ponder on how to improve my recent model, and i stumbled accross an iterresting concept ive never thought of before...
mild gore :D

so my question is how one would approach applying blood on these scissors?
i realise ill have to be a bit more specific about what exactly i want.
Id be more inclined to go with fresh blood since its just more interresting.

Now my main problem on how to approach this isnt necessarily texturing, since i am wondering if one would model the blood onto the scissors or simply use a viariaton of maps...
so any advise would be welcome :)

by the way, if you happen to know of a good tutorial please do share, since i havent had any luck in finding any.

Thanx

SplineGod
12-16-2006, 03:09 AM
You could model the blood, texture it on or use Hypervoxels. :)

lwaddict
12-16-2006, 06:14 PM
Depends on how you want it...
still or animated, flowing blood...
there are more than a few ways to get some very realistic results.

Sibylline
12-17-2006, 02:36 AM
ahh yes!
quite an important aspect...
I'm more inclined to go with a still picture at first, since i havent gotten into morphs as of yet.
still havent decided whether to model the blood or texture it.
And i tried looking into hypervoxels, but im not sure how the result may be.
wish i could find some sort of technique and adapt my own way of thinking to it.
Maybe a tutorial on liquids?
again, any info is wholeheartedly welcome :)

SplineGod
12-17-2006, 03:17 AM
Youll probably have to use a combination of all the above. HVs or geometry can be used for bigger/thicker droplets or pools of blood and textures for thinner areas of blood.
Ive also got videos on creating various liguid effects in LW on my site. :)

lwaddict
12-17-2006, 10:56 AM
The hardest part of creating blood and the part that gives away fake CGI blood is that most of us have an image in mind already...
and we're wrong almost 100% of the time.

My advice would be to start by studying the flow, splatter, drip, and ooze patterns of any viscous fluid before starting.

Get a bottle or two or three of chocolate syrup or dark karo syrup and just let it go...drip across a flat surface, ooze between your fingers as your grip tightenn, splatter as it is poured onto the kitchen floor (concrete, or whatever), and flow into a clear glass.

Get video and high res stills of all of this and really look at them. The chaos of liquids is amazing when you get yourself really exposed to it...splatters against wood, tile, concrete, glass, and plastic are all very different and yet there is some defining rhythm to it, depending on the collision materials (and viscousity of the fluids, and, and, and, etc).

The scissors with blood on them will look more real if you already have a good idea of what blood would do on the material (I'm thinkin' aluminum alloy?).

Texture mapping, hypervoxels, morphed edges, actual geometry, RealFlow, and on and on and on...they're all great tools, sure. But you'll want to explore what you're building a little to get the best idea of what you need.

I'd start with texture mapping...so even if you don't get what you want, you'll learn loads about the layering of Lightwave's texture toolset. Then, on with the more advanced stuff. (not meaning to insult, just guessing that you're fairly new because of the question...I could be way off though)

Hang in there,

LWAddict