PDA

View Full Version : Spam Suggestion

hrgiger
12-15-2006, 06:09 AM
I think new users posts should be approved by the moderators for their first two or three posts to make sure they're not spammers. I know it'd be more work but if we could get rid of spam, hey....

Geez, I'd do it, I spend enough time on the discussion boards anyway(Although Chuck has told me before that only Newtek Employees can moderate the boards).

kilvano
12-15-2006, 06:14 AM
I agree...although it does hinder new joiners from getting any quick support.

Maybe an upgrade to the latest vBulletin would help?

i think cgsociety has the 2 post thing too. Although....when i joined i made 5 posts in the first few mins and only the first 2 were moderated. The other 3 went up straight away.

Kuzey
12-15-2006, 06:24 AM
I would do it too...why not make it so that anybody can delete a post when the new user post count is less the say 3. Maybe not actually delete them, but put it in to a hidden queue for a moderator to go through later and do the final deleting or what not.

I'll try again because I don't think that made sense :hey:

If we see a spam post, we tag it as spam and it disappears from the public forum. Then someone from Newtek can delete it or reinstate the post if it's not spam.

That's enough ideas from me :D

Kuzey

Jim_C
12-15-2006, 06:41 AM
Can a script be written that searches everybody's first post for certain keywords (LW, 9.0, VT, modeler,edit etc etc) and if it doesn't find them sets them aside for verification? But if it doesn find them let's them thru.

There was one spam post yesterday that was obviously a bot filling in the name of the site and forum division, but other than that, from what I can tell 99% of spam posts have no reference to anything associated on this forum at all.

Doing this would relieve NT the burden of checking everybody's first post and let real user's in without a hitch but still stop spam.

Kuzey
12-15-2006, 06:49 AM
Jim...you make me think again :hey:

I got it....do not allow a post that has url/links in them to be published until after the person hits 5 posts or so.

That way it's no real extra work for the Newtek guys and more fun for us.

:help:

Kuzey

kilvano
12-15-2006, 06:52 AM
Jim...you make me think again :hey:

I got it....do not allow a post that has url/links in them to be published until after the person hits 5 posts or so.

That way it's no real extra work for the Newtek guys and more fun for us.

:help:

Kuzey

Genius. No post with links if post count is under 5

Jim_C
12-15-2006, 07:20 AM
This would still shut out the newbie poster with problems who puts a link to his dilemma in his message.

kilvano
12-15-2006, 07:23 AM
a simple PM to admin would get it sorted. Cant be too many noobs that this would effect though.

Kuzey
12-15-2006, 07:33 AM
There could be a message warning above the title box when making posts, that new members are restricted to no links until the hit the 6th post. If they want to link to something before then, then they contact the webmaster etc.....something like that.

Kuzey

warrenwc
12-15-2006, 11:28 AM
Anything automated will eventually be defeated.
That might lead to MORE spam as the bots try to hit the new post limit.
I like the "tag it & quarantine it until the mods have time to look" approach.

hrgiger
12-15-2006, 02:56 PM
Yeah, if spammers have proven anything, its that automation is not sophisticated to the point that it can't be stepped around, and quite easily in a lot of cases.
We do need a quarrantine of at least 2-5 posts. Spammers usually only make one post before they've been eliminated.

tribbles
12-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I run my own forum (nothing even computer related) - luckily it's too quiet for spam yet.

I don't know how feasible it is to analyse everyone's first posts to see if anyone has posted a URL/link in them. I certainly can't remember my first post (and I think I've only done just over 40).

I did have an idea where they could only post in a certain forum, but then that would end up being the newbie forum - and I'd imagine that would be perceived to be a lower-class forum.

Adding in some form of Baysian analysis of postings could do the trick - I know my office spam filter is pretty good (but it's had a lot of training!)

Maybe it'll be something I find out about later on :)