PDA

View Full Version : newbe help with image on surface

enash
12-15-2006, 03:48 AM
i'm new to 3D modeling in general as well as LW. i have successfully managed to create a cube and give each face a different color. i have been struggling for 2 days trying to put an image from a jpeg file onto a surface (just 1 face of the cube). please help.

P.S. when i search the forum using "image on surface" i get page not found error from the browser - this is very repeadable.

zardoz
12-15-2006, 03:56 AM
I don't want to sound rude but I think you should read the manual...everything there is quite well explained.

enash
12-15-2006, 08:27 AM
Your signature asks to correct your english - why not read the dictionary and style manuals?

zardoz
12-15-2006, 08:54 AM
lol...that's funny.
I just find it interesting that you spend hundreds of dollars in lightwave and instead of reading the first two or three pages of the manual to learn how to do exactly what you are asking here, you decide to come to a 3d forum and ask, having to wait for I don't know how much time to get an answer...

by the way, I find it rude to correct someone's english the way you are doing, when it isn't that person's first language...I'd love to listen to you speaking portuguese...

About 'style'...when you want to make questions to other people you should try to learn something first about it and then ask other users what you don't understand...

Nigel Baker
12-15-2006, 09:57 AM
Here you go have a look at this image.
Select the side you would like your image on.
Select it > give it a material "q" for change surface.
Give it a name.
Open up Surface editor > Select your surface name >On the colour chanel > press the "T" button for texture.

In the Image drop down menu select "Load image"
Follow the rest and play around with the different settings,
Also keep an eye on your Z direction and the way your face (polygon" is facing X,Y,Z.

Enjoy and have fun.

Regards Nigel.

MooseDog
12-15-2006, 10:26 AM
Your signature asks to correct your english - why not read the dictionary and style manuals?

personal umbrage at a reasonable suggestion to an easy question seems outside basic netiquette.

nigel, cool for going out of your way:thumbsup:

enash
12-15-2006, 12:11 PM
thanks nigel - appreciate the help and consideration.

Nigel Baker
12-17-2006, 05:31 AM
Hi eNash,

You are welcome, tell me, did you understand the instructions on how
to apply an image?

Have you realised that now in layout if you move the cube with the images
applied that they look like they move or disappear? More fun
If you have noticd this the next step is mapping.

Regards,
Nigel.

toby
12-17-2006, 01:41 PM
For a question this basic I am really surprised you didn't simply look in the manual, especially during "2 days" of struggle. It makes me wonder if you have one.

Silkrooster
12-17-2006, 05:51 PM
I honestly beleive that some people do overlook that they have a pdf manual. Not everyone pays to own the printed version.
Silk

zardoz
12-19-2006, 02:22 AM
like I said, I didn't wanted to sound rude...I was trying to be pedagogic...If you look at some of my posts I've always tried to help everyone, but some questions could be answered by searching the excelent lightwave help system and the manual.

SplineGod
12-19-2006, 06:25 AM
I agree. Suggesting that someone read the manual as an alternative to beating ones head for 2 days is completely reasonable. :)

enash
12-20-2006, 07:58 PM
Thank you all for your concern - here is the whole story. I downloaded the trial version (keep in mind I'm new at all this). I even called Newtek and explained that I was new and my real interest was developing 3D effects for video. The guy was helpful and suggested "playing with the software" and using the forum (you guys) for help. I did download the help file, but it's more of a reference if you already know what you're looking for. I wasn't aware of a pdf manual that was downloadable.

Now if I'm the only one that has struggled in this manor, then shame on me for jumping into waters that were too rough or deep for me to swim. If there were others (some of whom may have walked away without ever asking for help), then Newtek should take a lesson on really making a point to start with the manual. Bear in mind that some people, unfortunately myself included, have the attitude "when all else fails, consult the manual".

All that being said, I have made much progress and have even purchased the software. I've done well with objects based upon regular polygons (a hockey puck with ridges on the side, a soccor ball). I'm diving into (with the manual) more freeform objects.

Hopefully, I will get good enough to be of help to others someday.

Silkrooster
12-20-2006, 08:13 PM
Glad you decided to get Lightwave. I will be looking forward to seeing some of your work.
Silk

toby
12-20-2006, 10:26 PM
Well if Newtek is sending people here with no manual, I guess we need to stop worrying about people coming here with kracks and help 'em out. Otherwise we'll just p|ss off a lot of legit newbies.

SplineGod
12-20-2006, 11:26 PM
Enash,
Ive got a few hours of free videos on my site, the links in my signature. Kurv also has quite a few. :)

Sekhar
12-20-2006, 11:31 PM
Enash, did you try hitting F1 for the online HTML manual? Really nice - in fact I use this more than the PDF manual. I'm assuming this is available in the trial version too.

zardoz
12-21-2006, 03:08 AM
sorry for the way I responded. I'm glad to know you are learning fast and everybody here will always be glad to help.

sacsack
12-21-2006, 09:54 AM
Some time the manual sucks

enash
12-21-2006, 10:40 AM
Actually once I started using the manual it's pretty good. Being new, I also spend a fair amount of time learning parlance. And sometimes the manual uses words interchangeably (at least I think) like face and surface.

The other thing I find a bit confusing is the modeler / layout division of labor. For example, if I understand correctly, I can set a procedural texture in modeler, but cant see it till layout.

Thanks again to all of you - Im moving along at a pretty good pace now.

And zardoz no need to apologize see you more on these forums.
:thumbsup:

enash
12-21-2006, 02:03 PM
before you all jump on me re: face and surface - i know about the glossary...:foreheads

SplineGod
12-21-2006, 07:18 PM
A face is that part of the polygon you can see. The backside of a polygon in LW is normally not visible unless you turn on double sided.
A surface is is a set of attributes you can apply to a single polygon (minimum) or all the polys (maximum). A polygon may only have a single surface applied to it.

John the Geek
12-22-2006, 09:09 AM
FYI, this crap is covered in Chapter 8 of the manual, not the "first two or three pages" as was condescending generalized earlier. That's a bit of a short sighted response.

I'm a n00b too, and I've been struggling with this same issue recently. I'd love to "dive in and learn" as many people suggest all over this forum, but since 9.2 will be out before Dan Ablan's 9.0 book I guess the manual is my best resource at the moment, and as you know it sucks a little bit.

When there are hundreds of settings it can be very overwhelming to figure out which ones are needed to do exactly what you want to do. I don't feel it's necessary to know everything about the app before I begin my first project. I'd prefer to learn as I go.

So, yeah, thanks Nigel for the head start. That comes in very handy.

SplineGod
12-22-2006, 09:32 AM
The best way to learn LW is to pick a project that requires you to model, texture, light, animate etc. This allows you to learn a lot of aspects that are interdependant on each other. Its not necessary to learn every single tool or aspect. Much can be done with a knowledge of a few basic tools. Alot of it isnt even learning LW per se but learning principles such as lighting, surface characters etc of real world things so you have a basis to apply LWs tool to. :)

zardoz
12-27-2006, 02:10 AM
well...if you go to the contents page of the manual (in .pdf) the 4th topic is image mapping (you just have to click it)...it's not very hard to find...and my language isn't even english, so it would be harder for me to find this... ;)

guys, I already said I was sorry for what I said before. But I'm one of those persons that go to the manual before asking...so, I have to understand that every person is different.