PDA

View Full Version : Scientific Research on LightWave 3D

M_K_D
12-14-2006, 04:38 PM
Hello Everybody,
We at Computer Science Dept. of Concordia University <http://www.cs.concordia.ca> are currently conducting a research on usability of software user interfaces.
I am the research assistant and I would like to invite everybody to participate in this research since your working experiences, as users of LightWave 3D are valuable to us. The research is purely a scientific research and is not a marketing study.
We invite you as a user of LightWave 3D to fill out a questionnaire and we assure you that the information you provide will be stored in an anonymous way and will be used in aggregate form. We anticipate no risk to you as a result of your participation in this study other than the inconvenience of the time to complete the form that may take 15 minutes.
For a comprehensive summary of this research you may start at the project website <http://www.cs.concordia.ca/~donyaee>.
If you have experience with other 3D modeling software in the list on questionnaire, please feel free to fill out the questionnaire for every software.
If you know friends or colleagues who have experience with LightWave 3D or other 3D modeling software please feel free to invite them on behalf of us to participate in this study, more data for us means statistically more accurate results.
At the end on behalf of all my colleagues in the project I appreciate your efforts.
Regards
MKD

DiedonD
12-15-2006, 03:18 AM
Well.... I did my part... But ya its way too many questions in one area. COuldnt you have organized it somehow for the answers to go more smoothly?

M_K_D
12-15-2006, 05:55 AM
Thanks a lot for you particiaption. The questionnare is not designed by me, it is an industry norm. I am going to use its results in the research.

hrgiger
12-15-2006, 06:03 AM
I took the quiz. I didn't like how far away the answers were from the questions. I had to use a straight edge to make sure I was on the right line.

Bog
12-15-2006, 06:15 AM
Donesky.

Krom
12-18-2006, 01:33 PM
I did this quiz, but it's unclear sometimes.

Will you post your results here in the end ?

M_K_D
12-18-2006, 08:19 PM
Krom,
The reuslts will be posted on the same website. Thanks a lot for your particiaption.
Regards

Matt
12-19-2006, 04:40 AM
Research into what exactly? Poor user interfaces, 3D interfaces?

DiedonD
12-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Krom,
The reuslts will be posted on the same website. Thanks a lot for your particiaption.
Regards

Well you see how well we cooperated. The least you can do in return is to post the results here, or if thats too much, then post a link that will automatically take us to the sites results and conclusions. Ive been at your site, its like a maze, I dont want to get lost and say "To h-ell with it"

DiedonD
12-19-2006, 05:12 AM
Donesky.

Ahm.....Donesky!? :gotpics: :stumped: 8~

M_K_D
12-19-2006, 05:21 AM
Folks,
I do not mind to post the results here on this forum, but the fact is that I expect a few months to collect all required data (for all software products) and do the analysis. As soon as the results are ready I will create a thread here and will post the results, I assume at that time this thread will be in archive.
Regards

M_K_D
12-19-2006, 05:28 AM
Hi Matt,
By this research we are trying to improve the design of user interfaces. The analogy is that when you design an aircraft you use the metrics (numbers) to describe the product before actually you build it, e.g. the wing span is 150 square feet. That is what we would like to do in software development. I hope I could describe it clearly.
Regards

Chilton
12-19-2006, 07:40 AM
Hi M_K_D,

First, hire a high school student, or perhaps an 8-year-old, to proof your site for spelling errors. You're in college, not first grade. And I say this because you've misspelled one of the words my 8-year-old son had to learn a few weeks ago. Since you start the quiz with poor spelling, I have chosen to point this out first. Find a journalism student, or maybe an English major, and ask them to correct your grammar. The thing is, by starting off on the wrong foot, it sets the tone for the rest of your interaction with the user. Much in the same way you're probably not happy I pointed out the spelling and grammar mistakes.

Second, you need to do more research into how to create online quizzes before you start writing a quiz like this. For example, visit AskTog.com and see how he handles user interface testing. Bruce is one of the most highly respected usability designers on the face of the planet. I would suggest others, but I'm pretty sure you can glean all you need from Tog's site.

Third, meander over to your statistics department, and ask one of the undergrads there to help you design a survey. If you find that task daunting, at least look at how the pros do it, and visit MarketQuiz.com. Take the tour of their sample questionnaire. Note how the questions stay on the positive, and have at least five answers each, for the types of questions you're asking. A journalism major could probably help rewrite the questions so that they don't imply an answer.

Rebuild your questionnaire, and get back with us. I have no problem with people running surveys like this, as long as they're conducted well. Then again, I am not management.

-Chilton

Matt
12-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Bad day Chiltern? ;)

Actually I can't comment, I've not even been to the site, but there you go, that's just me!

But good books on usability design and testing are:

"About Face 2.0 - The Essentials of Interaction Design"
Alan Cooper and Robert Reimann

"User and Task Analysis for Interface Design"
JoAnn T. Hackos and Janice C. Redish

Also:

"Don't Make Me Think - A Common Sense Approach To Web Usability"
Steve Krug

Despite being about web usability, it reads well for general interface design too, and is full of useful tidbits, very well written too!

They're my bibles anyway!

Matt