PDA

View Full Version : Converting Max file to LWO

kiwi dave
12-14-2006, 02:57 PM
Does anyone out there know how to convert a max file into a lightwave object. I have a rug that is in max that I would like to liberate.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Dave

MicroMouse
12-14-2006, 03:32 PM
3DS Max is the only program that reads .max files.

Maybe some one on a Max forum will convert the file for you otherwise download the 30 day demo of Max.

Wayne

shrox
12-14-2006, 04:06 PM
You can export it as a .3ds file from Max, then LW can open it. You might have to collapse the stack first, or convert to editable mesh first

kiwi dave
12-14-2006, 04:11 PM
Thanks for the feedback.

I went to try and download the demo but it is only for a pc, and I'm on a mac.

Now I'm off to look for a friendly max forum.

Dave

Red_Oddity
12-15-2006, 04:27 AM
Export using FBX or OBJ.
I never use 3DS files as they triangulate all polygons so you end up with a mesh that can't be SubD-ed properly anymore.

mj418
12-16-2006, 11:41 AM
Deep Exploration CAD Edition reads max files perfectly, but you have to have max installed, with the Dcom plugin in Deep Exploration.
If you can find someone who has that and can do it for you, any max file (at least up to version 8.3) can be converted to .lwo, and all the texture files are converted as well, and placed into the same folder. Any multiple parts in the model becomes a separate layer in the object file.

MicroMouse
12-16-2006, 12:03 PM
Deep Exploration CAD Edition reads max files perfectly, but you have to have max installed, with the Dcom plugin in Deep Exploration.

Deep Exploration does NOT read the max files.

3DS Max reads the max files and the 3D data is then transferred to Deep Exploration via the plugin.

Wayne

mj418
12-16-2006, 04:25 PM
Well, yes, you're right.
That's actually pretty much what I said, if you think about it, just not quite as concisely as you did.

MicroMouse
12-17-2006, 12:12 PM
mj418,

There are some people who are confused and think that Deep Exploration can read the max files without the need for Max and the plugin.

For that reason, I restated what you said.

Wayne