PDA

View Full Version : paperize models

konsol9
12-14-2006, 12:19 PM
well, this is sort of a weird case.

I use lightwave for my web projects through LW swift plug-in. My problem is the weakness of swift engine when I there are many models each of which consist of 20000 to 25000 polygons. So, I thought of a solution for a certain project that, I only need the front views of my models that camera will move straight in the crowd of these objects. so how would it be possible to outline the front view and eliminate the rest of the details. Streching the objects horizontal factor to 0% could visualize what I want, but polygon-wise it won't lower it.
Also, it is kind of impossible to select surrounding points to catch the front view.

here is what it would look like.

http://img262.imageshack.us/img262/153/paperizegq7.jpg

thanks

tribbles
12-14-2006, 12:41 PM
You could create a very thin box, and boolean intersect them - that will eliminate a lot of the front/back polys.

Edited to add: Of course, that assumes that there's a cross-sectional part that includes everything you need.

Once you've done that, you can select all the polys, and deselect the front. Remove them, and then make it double-sided. That should give 1 poly for the entire shape.

Sarford
12-14-2006, 01:04 PM
Why not render them out using the orthogonal (or something) camera, load the images in flash and animate them there (aka scale and move them in flash), could be a lot faster.

Swift 3D sucks, I never use it. It gives HUGES files and they are supposed to be vector. When I render the same clip with the LW renderer and import that clip into flash the filesize is most of the time even smaler, AND have the benefit of reflection, motionblur, milions of colors, alpha maps etc. etc.!