PDA

View Full Version : Same model instance diffrent texture?

Max Hammond
12-14-2006, 04:29 AM
Basicaly i have a complicated model that is all textured and ready to go :)

problem is i need multiple instances of the same model in diffrent shades ie 22 diffrent colours, this means as far as i can tell that i need 22 versions of the same model and texture each in modeler as a difrent surface ID? i cant realy do it this way as the models will need regular amendments and to produce each model in each colour every time would take to long.

is there a way i can have the same model in ligtwave and have diffrent textures on each instance, the model has only one surface that needs its colour changing for 22 versions so that i only need to amend the one object and have it effect all 22 instances and have lightwave retain the indervidual texturs for each instant!

Bliz
12-14-2006, 04:48 AM
HD Instance will let you have different colours but I don't know if you can restrict the colour change to one surface or if you can stop the randomness of the colour distrubution amongst the models.

Otherwise, I'm not too sure how you could do it. Maybe if yu know Lscript you might be able to have an lscript that loads the surfaces in for each model? Or maybe a plugin like G2 would let you have a seperate light rig parented to each model that had coloured lights that were set to only affect certain surfaces?

Max Hammond
12-14-2006, 04:54 AM
cheers for the help i was hopeing it would be somthing simple i missed as im new to lightwave :(, im a 3DSmax user and this wouldnt have been an issue but it seems so simple that there must be a solution.

was looking at the posts others had done and noticed the finnished work area whith the jelly beans :D looks sweat LOL anyways does that mean that every jelly been had its own model file or layer?

"moan"
in max i would model the bean once and refrence it around a bit ad the apply a texture to each as i saw fit?

starbase1
12-14-2006, 05:02 AM
It depends on how detailed the textures are...

If you just want a bit of variation, it should be possible though a bit messy, particularly if the objects move a lot.

What you need is a texture that varies a lot with space, on a scale larger than the object. If you then set the texture to 'world coordinates' it will be a different colour depending on its position.

The main problem with this is that the colour will change if the objects move to a new position.

If the objects are movine in formation, i.e. their relative position does not change, you can set the texture origin to a null, and parent the null to one of the objects.

Nick