PDA

View Full Version : Spline polygon without patching?

rta
12-14-2006, 04:15 AM
Hello

Is there any way to make a polygon from the Splines without patching?
I just want to create a polygon (See attached picture) from 4 Splines and extrude it to make a simple solid object. Really easy, isnít it?
I didnít tick Closed Curve in order to get sharp corners.

Alternatively what I could do is to drill another polygon by this shape but then it increase the number of points along the curves.

Anyone could suggest the simplest or easiest way to sort out?

Thanks

Rta

colkai
12-14-2006, 04:34 AM
CTRL+D if your splines are joined

zardoz
12-14-2006, 04:55 AM
lol...colkai was faster than me...and yep ctrl-d is faster but sometimes it didn't worked the way I wanted, so here is an alternative way (when it doesn't work)

1ļ first you have to freeze the curves to get the points you need to make the polygon...the easiest way to do it would be the extrude tool (just to get the points)...delete the new created points, select one edge, select loop and use the plugs from edgetools by james wilmott with loop2poly to create a poly with the loop you just selected. (having all this with hotkeys is really fast)

Note: in the options you can control the amount of points you'll get by freezing the curve by choosing the amount of detail the curves have, course, medium or fine.

2ļ Easier than this...LWCad. create the curves and select curve to polygon.

PS: try to use .jpg instead of .pdf to post your pictures.

rta
12-14-2006, 05:41 AM
Thanks guys.

Nice diagram as well!!

Can I also ask for Subpatch related to this modelling?

After extruding, I Subpatched the curved surface then it lost the sharp corners (See attached picture.) how do I smooth a surface keeping the sharp edge?
If you subpacth the polygon beforehand the object will lose all sharp edges.
Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

zardoz
12-14-2006, 06:04 AM
you have to convert those polygons with more than 4 points to 4 or 3 points polygons (or use catmull-clarke subpatches) and add cuts (with knife) to the edges of polygons to keep the sharp edges

colkai
12-14-2006, 07:04 AM
2ļ Easier than this...LWCad. create the curves and select curve to polygon.
Ahh yes, I was assuming he didn't have LWCAD, but that is the coolest way to do it, (not to mention the coolest way to do numerous other things :) ).

rta
12-14-2006, 09:03 AM
Thanks Zardoz,

Sorry, I am not sure what you tried to explain. Would you mind to see the attached jpg? The curved surface is all subpatched individually after extruded. As you can see the 4 corners became smoothed. As you explained, which point do I use knife tool?

Thank you.

zardoz
12-15-2006, 03:17 AM
the problem is that you are trying to subpatch polygons with more than 4 points...to do that you should use catmull-clark subpatches (change from normal to catmull in the subpatch submenu).
To use normal subpatches you have to convert the polygons with more than 4 points to 4 point polygons.

I leave a pic here to explain better.