PDA

View Full Version : Gamers - let us gather our platforms.

Bog
12-13-2006, 06:43 PM
Hello.

I use videogames to embrace my inner child, hone my map-reading skills and not put a boot through my mainbox.I game on:

PC, mainly Steam Platform - the ususal suspects.
X360 - Halo 2, Gears of War, Doom.
Wii
DS Lite - Mario Kart online is good. So is 42 AllTimeClassics
PSP. Who's for Wipeout?

So come on, fellow gamers. What d'you play, and what on? This way we can get some regular gamings sessions going, do us all good!

Zane Condren
12-13-2006, 07:21 PM
I just bought an XBOX 360 tonight and just trying out gears of war and it rocks. IF you have a 360 and an HDTV get the HD-DVD drive for it.

Bog
12-13-2006, 07:23 PM
Not got an HD-DVD drive, but the new telly does 720p fairly sweetly.

Let us Co-Op at Gears of War, Zcondren! Just not tonight, I'm knacked.

lilrayray77
12-13-2006, 07:49 PM
Bog, what do yah play on the PC? HL2? CS?

Bog
12-13-2006, 07:50 PM
Bog, what do yah play on the PC? HL2? CS?
Half-Life 2 Deathmatch
CounterStrike
CS_Source
Unreal Tournament
Team Fortress Classic (Get yer finger out, Valve!)
Far Cry
DefCon
Halo
Serious Sam

Oh I'm a PC Gamer. Just try me! ;)

Captain Obvious
12-13-2006, 08:26 PM
I play Baldur's Gate 2 on my PC right now... that's about it.

MediaSig
12-13-2006, 09:04 PM
I'm glad to see people here are playing and liking Gears!

;-)

Exception
12-14-2006, 02:59 AM
Sounds like fun.
Due to my time schedules (working from 9am to 3am usually) I'm stuck with playing solitary games... the new Sam & max, Boneville, and I just finally got Zork Grand Inquisitor to play....
ANyone up for a game of network Liero? a very nimble but hilarious real time worms clone, good for quick 5 minute bouts with up to 10 people...

DogBoy
12-14-2006, 04:02 AM
I'm PC only.
I play:
CS
CS:Source
HL2:DM (not often)
GRAW (mostly Co-Op wi my mates)
FarCry
OGR (see GRAW)
Raven Shield (still)
BattleField 2

Do you get the feeling i have pent up agression?

lilrayray77
12-14-2006, 04:33 AM
Also PC:
HL2 DM
CS: Source (if I can figure out why it doesnt like to connect to any of the servers)
Battlefield 2

A couple older ones that I dont play much anymore.

tyrot
12-14-2006, 05:02 AM
dear bog

Call Of Juarez (from techland) which proves once more "Polish people rocks" I love the engine and the feel of the game.
Call of Cthulhu
Sanitarium ( i still play again and again)
Vampire Bloodlines (i love it..i cant help it)

I just cant play Army based games. Since i was a Nato soldier in Kosovo all that thing is coming to me extremely boring. And there is nothing to discover or get inspired by. Reading a book about war or watching a decent movie or watching a documentary is OK but playing game...nah not my type..

Bog, tell BEST to your inner child.. :)

Sarford
12-14-2006, 05:47 AM
Sanitarium ( i still play again and again)

He Tyrot, does Sanitarium run under XP home? I never played that game, only the demo but it seemed mighty promesing at that time. I know you can pick it up on the net as it is abandonware, just wanna know if it's still possible to play it.

jeremyhardin
12-14-2006, 05:48 AM
I used to game quite a bit, but never have time to commit myself nowadays.

UNTIL the Wii came out. I'm sore from Wii baseball like I haven't been sore in years. Me and my mates play every day for hours. Nintendo has (IMHO) innovated the game industry once again.

I do enjoy some Gears of War from time to time, but Wii Sports has swallowed all other games and systems whole for me right now.

DarkLight
12-14-2006, 07:22 AM
Don't play many games now, i think the last game i played fully was half life 2.

Normally it's a bit of retro gaming on MAME for me

kilvano
12-14-2006, 07:37 AM
BOG...you tried gaming on the 30" yet?

Tzan
12-14-2006, 08:49 AM
Games I played this year:

World of Warcraft - will get expansion in january
Halflife2
Quake 4
Riddick
Dawn of war
Battlefield 2
Brothers in Arms
Call of Duty 2
Company of Heroes
Dungeons and Dragons Online - 2 weeks
Lego Star Wars II - I just got it but havent played yet, I saw a good review :)

Jim_C
12-14-2006, 08:53 AM
I recently bought a sweet force feedback Wheel and set of Pedals for some serious PC racing with the Dell 24".
Been running from the cops on Most Wanted ever since.
Headphones + Force Feedback + Siren Wails = Sweaty knuckles and beating heart.

BeeVee
12-14-2006, 08:59 AM
BOG...you tried gaming on the 30" yet?

Oh yes, I was there! Half Life 2 in 2560x1600 with all bells and whistles turned on. A thing of beauty. Defcon at same res, fantastic (if utterly morbid and depressing).

B

DarkLight
12-14-2006, 09:40 AM
Oh yes, I was there! Half Life 2 in 2560x1600 with all bells and whistles turned on. A thing of beauty. Defcon at same res, fantastic (if utterly morbid and depressing).

B

You seem to be developing an unhealthy obsession with that monitor Ben :D

kilvano
12-14-2006, 09:56 AM
i am determined to buy one. I want one!

I will have one...oh yes...Battlefield 2 at full res!

Bog
12-14-2006, 09:58 AM

I bought the panel for work! Really! Truly! Might not'a done any work on it yet, but I've been ill this week ;)

Great Googa-Mooga though, HL2 looks mind-squngingly nice at this res. Aweseome that a "cheap" graphics card (under £200) can make that happen. Droool.

We did go looking for Bordeaux in Defcon, but the city selection is random. I have vapourised San Antonio before, but I felt bad about it... ;)

iconoclasty
12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
As much as we spend on our workstations, none of us should be wasting our time on consoles.
PC: HL2, CS, most recently Battlefield 2142

Bog
12-14-2006, 10:24 AM
As much as we spend on our workstations, none of us should be wasting our time on consoles.
PC: HL2, CS, most recently Battlefield 2142

That's what I thought until I realised how nice it was spending a couple of hours away from the desk.

CMT
12-14-2006, 10:29 AM
Xbox 360 is the reason my portfolio isn't where it should be! :)

Gears of War
Halo 2
Splinter Cell Double Agent
Rainbow 6 Vegas
Project Gotham Racing 3
Oblivion (This game has taken over my life at times.)
60" HDTV 1080

Life is good..... :rock:

Bog
12-14-2006, 10:34 AM
60" HDTV 1080

*droooooooooooool*

IgnusFast
12-14-2006, 10:44 AM
I'm glad to see people here are playing and liking Gears!

;-)

Would have been a LOT better on PC, but was still an excellent, gorgeous game. Be proud! :)

Jim_C
12-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Would have been a LOT better on PC, but was still an excellent, gorgeous game. Be proud! :)

I read a magazine blurb somewhere that it is..
Take it for what a mag blurb is...

toby
12-14-2006, 11:31 AM
There are precious few games that I'm interested in, since I don't spend much time playing, Halo, as well as Resident Evil, are among the few. Gameplay are worht more to me than graphics - So how does Gears compare to Halo.... anybody? anybody?

Lito
12-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Lately when I have free time I have a new tendency to grab for the 360 controller instead of firing up LW and Vue. Knowing me this will be the case till I get it out of my system again probably not till sometime in Jan.

toby: Gears is an excellent game. I'd say GoW is better than Halo though I think it was shorter. It is a 3rd person game though not FPS, if your looking for a good FPS I recommend Rainbow Six Vegas. I play that more now than Gears though I still want to finish off hardcore mode in Gears (about 1/2 way there).

The only problem I have with the current batch of games is they are all scripted. Once you play through you know where everything will be coming from. I'd personally like it if the teams made the entry points of each level from a choice of say 3-4 spots with say an exception for a few that are required to be in a certain spot for the in game story element. That would at least increase the replayability of the single player games, not to mention also increase the difficulty of the games considerably. I can think of at least a few spots in Gears that if it was that way I would be cursing the creators a lot more than I was ;).

IgnusFast
12-14-2006, 04:11 PM
I read a magazine blurb somewhere that it is..
Take it for what a mag blurb is...

And I'm absolutely sure you're correct-- but MS has them locked up, for a while at least.

It's like the 2 years between XBox and PC releases of Halo, when it's barely a port. (Almost more like a recompile these days)

It's all about the Benjamins and getting as much as they can out of hardware sales AND a higher sales count due to price premium and lower piracy rates. :(

IgnusFast
12-14-2006, 04:14 PM
So how does Gears compare to Halo.... anybody? anybody?

As mentioned above, Gears is shorter, but much more visually impressive. Weapon selection is a bit clunky (since you can hold more), but all-in-all I liked it better than Halo 2, not quite as much as Halo. Best looking game yet made, though!!

shrox
12-14-2006, 04:51 PM
Breakaway bought us all XBox360s. The only thing I have played on it is Blazing Angels, a WWII fighter aircraft sim.

Jim_C
12-14-2006, 04:56 PM
Breakaway bought us all XBox360s.

Hiring?

shrox
12-14-2006, 05:34 PM
Yes, supposedly. But I haven't had anyone from HR forward me a resume. I know they are looking for a lead programmer. The tools we use most are 3DMax and Gamebryo.

kopperdrake
12-14-2006, 06:43 PM
Oof - for me it's PC and World of Warcraft all the way. That game is HUGE! :D

Also on PC, tend to go back to one of the incarnations of CS at some stage or another though never got Source as the beta put me off. Latest to try on PC was BF2142 but got bored really quickly - much prefer BF1942.

Consoles, Cube: Animal Crossing - that's all really! Probably get a Wii after Christmas :D

DragonFist
12-14-2006, 07:17 PM
I am mostly about RPGs.

Oblivion

NWN2

FFXII (at a friends house on his PS2 as I don't have any consoles.)

Snosrap
12-14-2006, 08:38 PM
The only problem I have with the current batch of games is they are all scripted.

Extremely!! Halo and Halo2 do the best jobs of hiding it. But why in this day and age of superboxes do we put up with it? Move your character onto an invisible magic hot spot and bam something is triggered. Move to another location and bam another triggered event. I wish game makers would ease off on the graphics and leave some processing power for the artificial intelligence. Oh wait, no developer knows how to program good A.I.. Enemies are either too dumb or have eyes in the back of their heads. (Or you can walk around with a flashlight glaring on your head in Splinter Cell and walk right by an enemy.What's up with that?) Also have you ever notice that enemies have lousy hearing. You can be in this big battle with all kinds of explosions and gunfire, but nobody ever comes running from another area into the fray. But when you go around the corner and step on that invisible magic hot spot, there they are totally oblivious as to what just happened. I've been playing games for a long time, and I really thought we'd be past this by now. I honesty believe that most game developers would really rather be in Hollywood making movies than making video games. If I want to watch a movie I'll go to the theater.

My 2 cents

Snos

toby
12-15-2006, 12:15 AM
As mentioned above, Gears is shorter, but much more visually impressive. Weapon selection is a bit clunky (since you can hold more), but all-in-all I liked it better than Halo 2, not quite as much as Halo. Best looking game yet made, though!!
Ah, but is it a *breakthrough* game like Halo was? Doesn't sound like it. Of course the graphics are better, everyone expects at least that much. Graphics were great in Halo but the attention to detail, animation and the overall experience are what make it a cult-classic. That's what I'm looking for. Unfortunately MS has decided to, once again, be complete bastards by not making any new material compatible with first-gen xbox, like new levels for Halo2 - so I can refuse to get a 360 since Halo 3 is the only big attraction.

Btw I changed my icon because I got to work on the trailer, not because I'm a Halo freak!

DogBoy
12-15-2006, 01:44 AM
i am determined to buy one. I want one!

I will have one...oh yes...Battlefield 2 at full res!

Battlefield 2 doesn't do wide screen, I have to run it 1600x1200 :(

Bog
12-15-2006, 04:26 AM
Btw I changed my icon because I got to work on the trailer, not because I'm a Halo freak!

And a stonking bit of work that is, as well. I keep playing the HD clip bouncing up and down like a 9-year old stuffed with excessively-chocolatey cereal.

How did the brief run on that? Were you given a lot of creative freedom in making it, or did MS/Bungie keep tight control over the chain of events?

kilvano
12-15-2006, 04:39 AM
Battlefield 2 doesn't do wide screen, I have to run it 1600x1200 :(

There is a prog that you can run in the background that does it. It works with need for speed too.

ill check the magazine i read it in and get back to you with it

PS That HD halo trailer is AMAZING. Ive watched it at least 10 times!

Bog
12-15-2006, 04:40 AM
There is a prog that you can run in the background that does it. It works with need for speed too.

ill check the magazine i read it in and get back to you with it

Ooh, does it work with Half-Life 1 as well?

kilvano
12-15-2006, 04:44 AM
Unsure. It was in last months CPU Magazine that focussed on gaming on the 24" and 30" dell monitors.

ill have a look and give you any tips it threw up.

Bog...i forget...was it the 7900GT you got? I got a new PC with the 7950GT XXX (Silent) and im hoping it will game pretty well with a 30" if i ever get it.

jeremyhardin
12-15-2006, 04:45 AM
Ah, but is it a *breakthrough* game like Halo was? Doesn't sound like it. Of course the graphics are better, everyone expects at least that much.

Yes. The cameras on the game are totally unique, the controls different, and the whole experience is new. Co-op experience is, IMHO, better too, as is multiplayer. I would say it's more of a breakthrough game than Halo.

Bog
12-15-2006, 04:47 AM
Bog...i forget...was it the 7900GT you got? I got a new PC with the 7950GT XXX (Silent) and im hoping it will game pretty well with a 30" if i ever get it.

Mine's a "Gainward Bliss 7950GT PCX"... I think the 7950GT bit's the only important part ;) Amazing card, truly amazing. Then again I had a Scooby Doo "Uhh?" moment when I realised I had to plug a Molex connector from the PSU into the card's cooler....!

kilvano
12-15-2006, 04:50 AM
Mine's a "Gainward Bliss 7950GT PCX"... I think the 7950GT bit's the only important part ;) Amazing card, truly amazing. Then again I had a Scooby Doo "Uhh?" moment when I realised I had to plug a Molex connector from the PSU into the card's cooler....!

Cool...mine doesnt have a cooler. Just 2 MASSIVE heatsinks. Its totally passivly cooler like my CPU. That way i dont have to worry about the noise when i render while im sleeping. Its a wee bit hotter that it should be but nothing to worry about

Jeremy...You working at Axis in Glasgow?

Bog
12-15-2006, 04:53 AM
Ahh, I get jittery if I can't hear my babies breathing while I'm sleeping ;)

jeremyhardin
12-15-2006, 04:56 AM
Jeremy...You working at Axis in Glasgow?

Yeah...back doing some short term work this month. Off to london in January.

Where in the land of Scots are you?

kilvano
12-15-2006, 05:05 AM
Merchant City in Glasgow.
Good for pubs...not good for showreels.

Never applied for axis but i pass it every week on my way Berckley Studios with my band.

kilvano
12-15-2006, 05:26 AM
Ahh, I get jittery if I can't hear my babies breathing while I'm sleeping ;)

My girlfriend spends the entire night huffing and puffing if its left on.
Now thats we're living together i really should put my desk in the spare room but its just too much work to move everything and buy a new single bed for that room.

Maybe i should move her into the spare room! :thumbsup:

IgnusFast
12-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Ah, but is it a *breakthrough* game like Halo was? Doesn't sound like it. Of course the graphics are better, everyone expects at least that much. Graphics were great in Halo but the attention to detail, animation and the overall experience are what make it a cult-classic. That's what I'm looking for. Unfortunately MS has decided to, once again, be complete bastards by not making any new material compatible with first-gen xbox, like new levels for Halo2 - so I can refuse to get a 360 since Halo 3 is the only big attraction.

But is that fair to Gears? Even Halo 2 wasn't a breakthrough game, not to mention the spectacularly lame ending. If even Halo 2 can't "out-Halo" Halo, why should a game by another company be expected to? Gears is gorgeous, fast-paced, and has some evolutionary control aspects (taking cover, blind-fire, etc) that work well together.

I'm torn regarding lack of support for older machines... It's disappointing to those who can't afford to upgrade, but at the same time, would you rather the experience be diluted on the systems that can support it? We already get enough mediocre ports on the PC because they were coded for the lowest common denominator, usually the PS2. I'd rather they start at the top and port downward.

But as far as content for the original XBox, you KNOW that MS is going to try to get the 360 into as many homes as possible. They don't make money on the hardware (or at least not much, they may finally be moderately profitable at this point), so every game they can sell for the console keeps the platform going. They're not going to work too hard on stuff for the older machine if they can instead get people to buy a shiny new 360 during the holiday season.

Not that MS isn't filled with greedy bastard executives like every other large company. I won't defend that. :)

kilvano
12-15-2006, 06:50 AM
lets arrange a CS or Halo game online.

Can Halo on the xbox play with halo on the pc?

Bog
12-15-2006, 06:57 AM
Comparing Halo 2 to Gears of War is an apples-and-oranges comparison. They're both completely different things, doing completely different jobs.

And, to be honest, I felt let down by Halo 2 - it could have been so stellar, but instead it was... tepid. Graphically, a big improvement on the original, especially on a '360, but between the less-thinksome combat and the bloody awful final boss-battle, I just felt a bit "meh" about the whole thing.

How - having gotten it so utterly right with the last chapter of Halo 1 - could they then proceed to bonk the bunk so completely? It's enough to baffle the college of sturgeons.

Gears of War? It's a war movie, and a darn good one. Stunning sets, truly revolutionary camera work, and the gun use system is stonking. Being able to do everything from wildly hosing unaimed blind-fire over a chunk of rubble through to squeezing off scoped, aimed shots and quite literally everything in between is something no game's ever given us. The move-and-cover system is brilliantly implimented. And the game is fun - yes, it's on rails. Yes, it's moving from set-peice to set-peice.

But it's a fun sequence of set-pieces that honestly get you doing different things every time.

It was a deeply immersive experience. Can we have a sequel, please?

I'm really hoping that Halo 3 lives up to the hype. I'm deeply excited about it - I've always loved Bungie's storytelling talents from way back in the mists of Marathon. I'm hoping the "Empire Strikes Back"ness of Halo 2 gets properly paid off with a bit of RotJ goodness in Halo 3. To be honest, with H2 I think they concentrated on the multiplayer aspect so much that it was to the detriment of the single-player experience.

Gears I haven't managed to play online yet - think I need to untangle my intertube or sacrifice another chicken to the Router God. Odd, 'cause H2 and Marble Blast and the like work fine in multi. (By "fine" read "Oh smeg, not another sniper map! GAH!")

toby
12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
But is that fair to Gears? Even Halo 2 wasn't a breakthrough game, not to mention the spectacularly lame ending. If even Halo 2 can't "out-Halo" Halo, why should a game by another company be expected to?
Of course Halo2 was not a breakthrough game, it was a continuation of the first, in the same style. Games don't have to be 'breakthrough' games for me to buy the system they're available for, they just have to be pretty far above average. So far, Gears doesn't look good enough for me to buy a 360 for, I'm not impressed by the graphics, even though they're more hi-res than Halo 1 & 2. If I already wanted a 360 Im sure I'd buy it.

Gears is gorgeous, fast-paced, and has some evolutionary control aspects (taking cover, blind-fire, etc) that work well together. Well if I find out it's mind-blowing, I'll be parking a 360 next to my future-PS3-to-be.

I'm torn regarding lack of support for older machines... It's disappointing to those who can't afford to upgrade, but at the same time, would you rather the experience be diluted on the systems that can support it? We already get enough mediocre ports on the PC because they were coded for the lowest common denominator, usually the PS2. I'd rather they start at the top and port downward.
Exactly, there's no need to dilute the games, port Halo2 levels downward, and develop a little for the earlier platform. Of course MS would never do that, that's what I mean.

But as far as content for the original XBox, you KNOW that MS is going to try to get the 360 into as many homes as possible. They don't make money on the hardware (or at least not much, they may finally be moderately profitable at this point), so every game they can sell for the console keeps the platform going. They're not going to work too hard on stuff for the older machine if they can instead get people to buy a shiny new 360 during the holiday season.

Not that MS isn't filled with greedy bastard executives like every other large company. I won't defend that. :)
MS set a new level of decietful business practices, we all know that.

toby
12-15-2006, 11:02 PM
And a stonking bit of work that is, as well. I keep playing the HD clip bouncing up and down like a 9-year old stuffed with excessively-chocolatey cereal.

How did the brief run on that? Were you given a lot of creative freedom in making it, or did MS/Bungie keep tight control over the chain of events?
I'm sorry I totally missed this post!
Thanks Bog. As you can guess it is the highlight of my career!
We were actually given some creative freedom because there are things that aren't decided yet, like the look of the force field. The things that we didn't have creative freedom on were things people had already seen, so changing those would have been unwise anyway - besides, we only had 4 weeks to do the whole thing :oye: so there was little time for that kind of creativity...

kilvano
12-16-2006, 08:47 AM
Ok bog

To get battlefield 2 widescreen you have to add "+szx 1920 +szy 1200" to the shortcut. Thats for 1920x1200 res. Change accordingly.

So it should look like this.

"C:\Program Files\EA GAMES\BF2" +szx 1920 +szy 1200

http://www.chrismcguire.co.uk/images/a.jpg

ShawnStovall
12-17-2006, 10:32 AM
I'd be playing a Wii... if I could find one.:cry:

mav3rick
01-07-2007, 03:31 AM
heh how i miss this thread:) hehehhe any1 into COD2 MP ? if yes PM me for a game ..... please be good cause i am REALLY good. :)

Lamont
01-07-2007, 10:28 PM
I game on everything:

NES - 100+ games
SNES - 100+ games
N64 - 20-ish games
GameCube - 50 Games
DS/DSLite - 10 games
GBA - 25 games
PSOne - 40 games
PSOne Japan - 9 games
PS2 - 83 games
PS2 Japan - 36 games
PS3 - 2 games :D
Wii - 8 games
XBox - 30 games
XBox360 - 17 games
PC - 50 games(Not counting the games the wife buys... Zuma and such..)
Dreamcast - 39 games

I used to have an Atari2600, but it took too much space (60 games) so I eBayed them. Three days ago I finished Castlevania: PoR, it's a cool game and worth it.

The 12th add one more XB360 game as Lost Planet will be out.

@ Halo. I don't like it (I have both). But someday I will force myself to play through both of them as it seems people get all giddy when you mention the name of the game.

@ GoW. It's a great game and serves it's purpose: Blow up stuff with very little in the way of story and changing gameplay getting in the way.

toby
01-07-2007, 11:23 PM
I game on everything:

NES - 100+ games
SNES - 100+ games
N64 - 20-ish games
GameCube - 50 Games
DS/DSLite - 10 games
GBA - 25 games
PSOne - 40 games
PSOne Japan - 9 games
PS2 - 83 games
PS2 Japan - 36 games
PS3 - 2 games :D
Wii - 8 games
XBox - 30 games
XBox360 - 17 games
PC - 50 games(Not counting the games the wife buys... Zuma and such..)
Dreamcast - 39 games

Jeez dude, don't work so hard!! :D

@ Halo. I don't like it (I have both). But someday I will force myself to play through both of them as it seems people get all giddy when you mention the name of the game.
Giddy with Halo1, yes. Hearing grunts pleading for their lives when you've just stuck a grenade on them is priceless. Maybe I like killing them so much because they remind me of ET, the Extra Terrestrial. Only thing better would be a likeness to Robin Williams. Or Dick Cheney.

1 is *great*, 2 is just *good*.

starbase1
01-08-2007, 03:22 AM
I must admit I stopped the games side because it was preventing me doing ANYTHING constructive with the PC at home... Gave away the PS2 and removed all games some time back.

The worst one for devouring time for me was Civilisation (any incarnation), I could spend a whole weekend without sleep, that had such a 'just 10 minutes more..." factor.

But I must admit to dithering about it again, mainly thinking of something portable. That way it could keep me entertained during the huge amounts of time I spend sitting on London buses going nowhere.

The games are still hideously expensive though. Which is one reason I have been toying with the idea of getting myself a GP2X (http://gp2x.co.uk/). Tons of free stuff for that, (including loads of old games I used to love), and it should also encourage me to get to grips with Linux.

Anyone else got one of these?

Nick

BeeVee
01-08-2007, 03:39 AM
I don't but I do have a DS Lite thanks to a secret admirer ;) and that is superb! New Super Mario Bros is a lesson to anyone in making a platformer with so much stuff going on, and the wi-fi connection is splendid. If anyone fancies trading Friends codes for that I'd be up for it so we could get some Mario Kart or "42 All-time Classics" games going.

B
PS. Who'd a thunk that my first post here after several weeks would be about a games console?
PPS. I should be pretty easy to beat since it's been at least ten years since I did any serious gaming... ;)

oDDity
01-08-2007, 06:58 AM
Totally agree, starbase1, I couldn't play games without a constant dread feeling that I was completely wasting my time in the most trivial, childish, and unconstructive fashion possible.
However, there have been so few games released that I consider worth playing, the time factor is not an issue.
The only gaming I did last year was part of one week doing the assassin and thieves guild quests in Oblivion.

starbase1
01-08-2007, 08:05 AM
Totally agree, starbase1, I couldn't play games without a constant dread feeling that I was completely wasting my time in the most trivial, childish, and unconstructive fashion possible..

Well, it's better than watching Big Brother at least...

DogBoy
01-08-2007, 04:09 PM
The only gaming I did last year was part of one week doing the assassin and thieves guild quests in Oblivion.

I made the mistake of installing that last night, around 7:00pm. At 2:00am I just had to turn it off, as I had a long work day ahead :(

Just walking around and looking at the pretty images lost me for a few hours.

oDDity
01-09-2007, 06:18 AM
Yes, but that wears off, you'll be bored within a week. Like all games, there is no real depth to it, and you soon see the fakery. The thief and assassin quests are the high point of the game, I didn't even bother doing the main storyline, it's always just tedious hack and slash in these games.

kilvano
01-09-2007, 06:24 AM
i WISH i could do that.

My PC is in my bedroom and sincy my girlfriend moved in im in my bed by 11:30pm every night.

Thinking about moving my desk into the spare room but i will have to move sooooo much stuff.

oDDity
01-09-2007, 06:30 AM
Well, it's better than watching Big Brother at least...

Yeah, but then there are few things that aren't better than watching reality TV.
Oppressive third world regimes have started using it as the last resort torture technique. When the electrodes on the testicles and dental torture fail to illicit a response, they tape their eyelids back, wheel in the TV playing an endless loop of 'I'm a celebrity get me out of here', and stand by with pen and notebook at the ready.

kilvano
01-09-2007, 06:38 AM
30 seconds of Jade Goody and id tell them anything they wanna know.

"Ill give you my first born....just turn the tv off!!!!!!!"

StereoMike
06-04-2007, 09:17 AM
Ressurection from the dead errr... thread?

Does anyone play Defcon? I found and bought it 2 days ago, it's much fun.
Bog, Beevee told me you have it, do you wanna play?

mike

Bog
06-04-2007, 02:49 PM
Ressurection from the dead errr... thread?

Does anyone play Defcon? I found and bought it 2 days ago, it's much fun.
Bog, Beevee told me you have it, do you wanna play?

mike

Wooof. No idea when I'm gonna have a chance, Mike - I'm a bit snowed under right now!

It's terrible, I've got a lovely shiny new PC and I haven't even installed Steam on it yet! ;)

redlum
06-04-2007, 03:12 PM
I'm a big quake fan. 1 - 4. I had to stop playing Quake 4 because it was giving me nightmares. I never got passed level 4 because the stress was too great. Love the game though. I'm lost so many hours playing capture the flag and enjoyed every minute of it. machine of choice, mac of course. :-)

Steamthrower
06-04-2007, 04:02 PM
I'm not a very avid gamer. Like has been mentioned previously, games don't make a lot of money and usually wipe out your creative half of your brain, but I do find Far Cry, Counter-Strike Source, and HL2 to be nice things to relax with every once in a while....

My favorite games, believe it or not, don't have graphics at all. Zork, Ballyhoo, Infidel...

Matt
06-04-2007, 04:53 PM
So come on, fellow gamers. What d'you play, and what on? This way we can get some regular gamings sessions going, do us all good!

What a fantastic idea!

It will be so much fun to take your knees out with a Barrett M107 from over 1,000m away! That's right, mild mannered LightWaver by day, sniper rifle toting lunatic by night!!!

:D

Okay, my games fall into three camps (and all PC based, no consoles here!)

Games you might see me occasionally online with:
ArmA: Armed Assault
Battlefield 2
Battlefield 2: Special Forces
Battlefield 2142
Battlefield 2142: Northern Strike

Games I have but no longer really play:
FarCry
Half-Life 2
Counter Strike: Source
Doom III
Brothers in Arms: Road to Hill 30
Condemned

Games I bought, but have not been arsed to play:
Doom III: Resurrection of Evil
Company of Heroes

My online tag will be either: DeadlyAvenger, TheDeadlyAvenger, or if some bugger has nicked it, just plain matt or mattgorner!!!

See you on the Battlefield comrades!!!

P.S. We soooooo have to get our own passworded LightWave users only server! No cheating (unmentionable names) then!

Matt
06-04-2007, 04:59 PM
Just noticed this thread is quite old, anyone still up for some sessions? I've not gamed in a while, so could do with the target practice!!!

Tzan
06-04-2007, 05:32 PM
Assuming nobody wants to be your target dummy you should really load up Company of Heroes and play the campaign. Great game!

Trevor
06-04-2007, 05:46 PM
Anyone here play starwars battlefront?

Lamont
06-04-2007, 06:00 PM
Picked up Forza 2 the other day. Worth some seat time :D.

Sande
06-04-2007, 06:21 PM
All work and no play makes Sande a dull boy...

My platforms are PC/Mac, Wii, PSP, DS, GP2X, C=64, Amiga and Philips Videopac (=Magnavox Odyssey²) - and at work PS2 and Xbox360.
My favourite games include a wide variety of titles from PacMan, Super Mario Bros, Nethack and Richard Burns Rally all the way to hardcore strategy like Operational Art of War III and such...

Yep, and Defcon was/is a fine game too. It's always nice to see small developers doing something spectacular.

Matt
06-04-2007, 06:40 PM
I bought that ArmA: Armed Assault in the shop today, it was only 20quid, the demo seemed okay, but the game kinda sucks now I've played it for a bit.

Tragic control system, really jerky (and not because of my GFX card or machine spec). Even worse when you get inside buildings, absolutely awful. The interface inside the game is truly naff too! Why can't they ever get this right!?!?!

I think the Battlefield series is the only game that has got a good mix of 'realism' yet arcade playability.

Looks like ArmA is another game to go on the "waste of money, not gonna play ever" pile.

:(

I did like the way you can't walk if you're shot, but not fatally wounded in the legs though!

StereoMike
06-05-2007, 01:27 AM
Ok, besides Defcon I have:

Battlefield 2142 + Northern Strike
BF 1942 Anthology + Desert Combat
Trackmania
Spellforce
Flatout
Star Wars Battlefront
Far Cry
Old Halo
Old Tribes
Morrowind
and other stuff I tried but didn't caught me.

Alot of the mentioned games aren't installed right now, only Battlefield (both), Flatout, Defcon are on the HD.
Hey Matt, what's your class in 2142? I went for pioneer. You're a sniper?

I didn't played much for half a year now (since my daughter is there :) )
So if you need someone to hone your aiming skills lets make an appointment.

mike

Matt
06-05-2007, 03:30 AM
I dunno, I change everytime I respawn (which is a lot!)

colkai
06-05-2007, 03:41 AM
Gawd I'm boring. :p

I own just 2 games, both old.
Superbikes 2000 (yup, 2000)
ProPinball 4-table pack.

Neither of which has been touched at all in the last 8 months. Don't do shoot-em-ups et al. Used to have the odd driving game, such as need for speed or "Stunt Driver" (who remembers that one?).

If I want to chill, it's normally away from the PC completely, sad old git that I am. :)

Matt
06-05-2007, 06:20 AM
Colkai, you are indeed a sad boring old git!

(Welcome to the club!)

;)

StereoMike
06-05-2007, 06:25 AM
Oh, I forgot the PS2 and nearly all Singstar DVDs...
and severall Burnout DVDs.
I have that Kinetic stuff and some other activity games, but I stay rather on the couch...

btw Matt: In 2142 you can unlock a lot of goodies, which tree did you follow? Nothing???
mike

BeeVee
06-05-2007, 06:43 AM
I have Atomic Bomberman... anyone? Anyone?

B

Matt
06-05-2007, 08:47 AM
Oh, I forgot the PS2 and nearly all Singstar DVDs...
and severall Burnout DVDs.
I have that Kinetic stuff and some other activity games, but I stay rather on the couch...

btw Matt: In 2142 you can unlock a lot of goodies, which tree did you follow? Nothing???
mike

Dunno, have to check

omeone
06-05-2007, 09:01 AM
I made this a couple of years ago (sorry about the picture quality)
http://puffandlarkin.com/temp/cab.JPG

It's only taken me 20 years, on and off, to clear Ghosts and Goblins...

art
06-05-2007, 09:12 AM

B
That rings a bell. I played it years ago.

Far Cry was one of the best FPSs I played. I might replay it again now that I have a machine that can finally handle it in full detail

I wish I could play Gothic 3, but I've heard it is so buggy that there is almost no point of playing it. Gothic 2 was very nice.
I loved BF1942, I recently bought BF2 without realizing that singleplayer is quite limited and I'm not into online multiplayer games. It will probably collect dust.

I still have Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights waiting on the shelf.

My favorite racing games: Richard Burns Rally and Colin McRae series.

Oh, and solitaire at work (only sometimes)

bluerider
06-05-2007, 09:30 AM
For online gaming I play Special opps from time to time, but I am thinking of acquiring the Battlefield series.

The Total War series is by far my favorite though. Those are the only two titles I have bothered with in the last few years.

Iain
06-05-2007, 09:43 AM

B

Bomberman is genius. It's amazing how complex such a simple game can be (in my world anyway.)

Iain
06-05-2007, 09:44 AM
The last game I bought was Doom 3 and after 15 minutes I was bored shi*less.

bluerider
06-05-2007, 10:07 AM
I played that for about a week.

StereoMike
06-05-2007, 11:54 AM
Can someone recommend a realtime strategy game that's easy to grasp?
Easy as in "the other 5 people on a lan party see it the first time and still have fun".
And something, of course, without steam or some awkward rootkit copyprotection.

mike

Matt
06-05-2007, 03:26 PM

Same here, I bought that Resurrection pack too, never even played it, what a waste of money.

Nice looking game though!

Bog
06-05-2007, 04:40 PM
Actually, as this is the Gamer's Thread, I am thrilled to announce that I'm doing Dragon's Lair for the Nintendo DS :)

That one just fell into my lap 'cause someone liked the cut of my jib and knew I was up to snuff on digital video. We really do work in an amazing industry.

Matt
06-05-2007, 06:05 PM
Bog, I hate and envy you in the same breath! ;)

Any chance of 'accidently' losing a copy of the video files on a few DVDs addressed to me is there?

;)

Iain
06-06-2007, 02:22 AM
Actually, as this is the Gamer's Thread, I am thrilled to announce that I'm doing Dragon's Lair for the Nintendo DS :)

Cool. What does that involve-fmv, characters?

Tzan
06-06-2007, 09:35 AM

Hey thats awsome!

Matt
06-06-2007, 11:06 AM
Checked out DEFCON last night, beautiful to look at, despite it being thermonuclear war, extremely well thought out interface / game play too! Not sure it would stand the test of time in terms of lasting playability though.

StereoMike
06-06-2007, 03:46 PM
Darwinia from the same guys looks also very nice. Great 80ies look and feel (they even have a sprite filter to hide their use of polygon models).

make sure to try the demo (full level).
mike

Iain
06-07-2007, 04:07 AM
http://www.geekarmy.com/cool/History-of-Video-Games.html

Aaaahhhhhhhh

Matt
06-07-2007, 06:49 AM
http://www.geekarmy.com/cool/History-of-Video-Games.html

Aaaahhhhhhhh

Thanks for that, it brought back many memories! I remember playing far too many of those games too! But no Dragon's Lair in there! :(

BeeVee
06-07-2007, 07:06 AM
No Elite either, or so many others... but it was good to remember as many of them as I did - probably 85-90% I think.

B

Darth Mole
06-07-2007, 12:04 PM
I'm Xbox360 (Gamertag 'Angry Spirit') - currently playing Catan (awesome German boardgame), Forza 2 as of tomorrow, and waiting patiently for Mass Effect and, of course, Halo 3 (single player: I'm cannon fodder online).

Nintendo Wii - Wii Sports, Eledees, waiting for Mario Party 8.

Nintendo DS - Puzzle Quest is my latest addiction, plus 42 All-Time Classics. Might pick up Picross too.

Browser - Addicted to Dice Wars, dammit!

mouse_art
06-08-2007, 06:15 PM
Quake 3 Arena(Clanarena/TDM/CTF)
Armed Assault (COOP)
GRAW(COOP)
BF2 (PRM(M) Project Reality (Mini) Mod)
Supreme Commander.

Bought some time ago a X360 but after a month resold it again, i grew up as a PC Gamer so, a console is nothing for me, period

Bog
06-09-2007, 07:09 AM
See that's what I thought until a friend of mine gave me his spare XBox. I'd always sneeringly declared that as PC games had superior resolution and controls, blahdiblah... did myself out of a lot of quality gaming that way. There are some real gems on consoles - Shadow of the Colossus on PS2 was worth the price of a second-hand PS2 right there.

mouse_art
06-09-2007, 08:07 AM
Yeah but you missed my point, i resold it again.:P

btw was not the first console, i had much more use for the N64 back then.

I will never give up on PC Games, yeah the industry is trying to kill the Platform unwittingly or not.
But the reason that don't like consoles has nothing to do with resolution ect. by the way. ;)

bluerider
06-09-2007, 09:59 AM
Hello.

I use videogames to embrace my inner child, hone my map-reading skills and not put a boot through my mainbox.I game on:

PC, mainly Steam Platform - the ususal suspects.
X360 - Halo 2, Gears of War, Doom.
Wii
DS Lite - Mario Kart online is good. So is 42 AllTimeClassics
PSP. Who's for Wipeout?

Special operations is my online game of choice. If you play Total War I'll play online, unless of course you beat me then I'll stop immediately. :D

Bog
06-09-2007, 10:20 AM
But the reason that don't like consoles has nothing to do with resolution ect. by the way. ;)

Playing shooters on thumbsticks is a bit like trying to charcoal sketching whilst wearing a wellington boot on each hand.

Skinner3D
06-10-2007, 01:22 PM
Playing shooters on thumbsticks is a bit like trying to charcoal sketching whilst wearing a wellington boot on each hand.

Agreed:D But then my favorite games ever are Metroid Prime 1 & 2 for GameCube.

Also play
Warcraft III Frozen Throne
SWGB
Empire Earth
Empire At War
and of course
Moonbase Commander
Commander Keen 1-6

art
06-11-2007, 06:50 AM
I like good adventure games but the genre seems to be heading for extinction

I recently found this cute little game, part one is free (flash):
http://amanita-design.net/samorost-1/

mouse_art
06-11-2007, 02:58 PM

Yep, but thats also not the real reason(for me, i mean i can live with aim-helping functions. *g* ). :P (has more to do with editing. ;)
And besides MMORPG's i don't like to pay to play MP, besides that normally the amount of MP clients is a bit more limited compared to the PC platform(IMHO, but that will change in future i'm sure)
But i heard Sony will bring up a mouse for it's PS3.

@Art

You may have a look there:

www.telltalegames.com

Bog
06-11-2007, 05:04 PM
That said, I'm seriously going to need some Gears of War when this projects done.

*chucks Blackpool Tower over his shoulder into brimming bin of quick, dirty, non-showreel-grade objects and sighs, blinking at the clock*