PDA

View Full Version : Building a Renderfarm, or....

MiniFireDragon
12-13-2006, 12:28 PM
Ok, I am well aware of how to build a render farm. But can a Beowulf cluster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

act as a single computer with multithreading capabilities? Has anyone looked into build a beowulf cluster and running Screamernet through it? If not, (or even if so) I will be assembling one slowly, which will be used as either a renderfarm ro a beowulf cluster. over the years of being a PC technician/builder I have collected alot of computers. None really above 1ghz, but a giant toy. I think I have about 20 systems I am about to do this with.

Any thoughts on the subject?

Bog
12-13-2006, 04:15 PM
All I have is thoughts, rather than opinions (Paging RegularFry, paging RegularFry, RegularFry to the blue courtesy phone).

My thought is:

"If you know how to do it, and you have free time, then getting it working is not only good fun, but the sort of knowledge you can sell as consultancy time to studios"

I hope you enjoy this thought, given gratis and for free because that's as much as I paid for it.

voriax
12-13-2006, 04:31 PM
I would love to see if you can get this working.. the other day I was looking around to see if there was some simple solution for parallel computing, but alas no.. I was having visions of using our 16 3ghz render nodes as a single parallel processor. Oh the power :D

MiniFireDragon
12-13-2006, 05:05 PM
Voriax: The Beowulf Cluster does just that. Unfortunately it's in Linux and Lightwave isn't ported to Linux. Hopefully at the end of the Lightwave 9.0 cycle we will see a port to Linux. After all, it runs off of OpenGL which is not an MS language for it's displays. <crosses fingers and hopes>

Bog
12-13-2006, 07:19 PM
Voriax: The Beowulf Cluster does just that. Unfortunately it's in Linux and Lightwave isn't ported to Linux. Hopefully at the end of the Lightwave 9.0 cycle we will see a port to Linux. After all, it runs off of OpenGL which is not an MS language for it's displays. <crosses fingers and hopes>

Y'got a ScreamerNet node. What more d'you want? Blood? ;)

Titus
12-13-2006, 10:19 PM
Ok, I am well aware of how to build a render farm. But can a Beowulf cluster

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beowulf_cluster

act as a single computer with multithreading capabilities? Has anyone looked into build a beowulf cluster and running Screamernet through it? If not, (or even if so) I will be assembling one slowly, which will be used as either a renderfarm ro a beowulf cluster. over the years of being a PC technician/builder I have collected alot of computers. None really above 1ghz, but a giant toy. I think I have about 20 systems I am about to do this with.

Any thoughts on the subject?

When I was in charge of the viz lab in a math institute we build a beowulf with 20 machines running POV-Ray, among other programs.

MiniFireDragon
12-14-2006, 10:19 AM
Y'got a ScreamerNet node. What more d'you want? Blood? ;)

The only Linux Screamernet I seen was an 8.0. 9.0 has a whole new method of handling things, like nodes among other things, which means the 8.0 Screamernet won't work with 9.0. Unless there is a 9.0 screamernet for linux that I overlooked.

As for wanting Lightwave in Linux, I was thinkinf for the dynamics engine. Isn't it multithreaded?