PDA

View Full Version : RenderDrive

Lude
06-17-2003, 01:47 PM
Have any of u looked at this site:

http://www.artvps.com

A particularly interesting page is the speed comparisons:
http://www.artvps.com/products.ihtml?page=comparisons

It's got hardware rendering products very cool, but no Lightwave plug-in.

Dose anyone know if there's something like this in the pipeline from any companies for Lightwave.

I know i'd pay for one.

And if not then we should start emailing asking for one.

Lude

Lude
06-17-2003, 02:02 PM
I've just been having a look around the group.

I gather it's NT problem that there's no hardware render. That the have to tweak the lightwave engine to do it.

It's a real shame.

That site i linked to shows a Maya image that normally takes:

1024 x 1024 pixels: 1 hour 40 minutes

But with the RenderDrive renders in as little as:
1024 x 1024 pixels: 2 minutes 41 secs.

WOW

mattclary
06-17-2003, 02:06 PM
Give it time, give it time.

Karl Hansson
06-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Yes that would be cool. How much does it cost?

Mylenium
06-17-2003, 11:45 PM
Well, Karl actually that is the big problem. It's so expensive it only makes sense for larger production houses. We thought of doing it a while ago to speed up our Maya renderings but it just didn't work out. We always found that getting a few cheap extra machines was more reasonable. With hardware based rendering using your graphics card on the horizon the idea of having another card just for rendering purposes seems somewhat outdated. You see RenderDrive, RenderBus or ICE (for After FX) come from a time when CPUs were slow and RAM expensive. This is no longer an issue so normally there is always enough computational power available. You could call this a trend since even one of the most hardware dependent areas of modern media - video editing - begins to rely more and more on brute force.

Mylenium

ToiletDuck
06-18-2003, 11:57 PM
You could just build several systems for that much. Holy Cow

ToiletDuck
06-19-2003, 01:02 AM
Are those things stand alone computers that are rackable or are they just hardware addons?

Exper
06-19-2003, 02:24 AM
Originally posted by ToiletDuck
Are those things stand alone computers that are rackable or are they just hardware addons? "RenderDrive RD5000" and "RenderDrive RD3500" are rackable standalone, "PURE P1800" is instead a PCI card (again... they cannot be used with LW at now).

Bye.

ToiletDuck
06-19-2003, 10:48 AM
They all can't or just the Pure?

Lightwolf
06-19-2003, 10:58 AM
If you look at this
http://www.artvps.com/products.ihtml?page=interfaces
You'll see that it swallows standard .rib files, and there are plugins that allow for the export of .rib from LW.
The RenderDrive has been here for some time now, and is one more reason for the next gen LW versions to be more open (I'd love to see LW adopt one of the "other" file formats, like .rib or mental ray's format natively).
BTW, the renderdrives do use hardware rendering, but not rhough GPUs, but through processors optimized for raytracing.
Cheers,
Mike

Exper
06-19-2003, 11:02 AM
Originally posted by ToiletDuck
They all can't or just the Pure? They all can't directly!

Bye.