PDA

View Full Version : Help on UV

monfoodoo
12-12-2006, 11:20 PM
I'm UVing a bumper part (flat tracker)for distress and wear and it has to look uniform. Set the map
as an atlas. I'm finding it a real pain to try and aligne the most visible ploys.Is there an easier way or a plugin that can assist me on this?

Dodgy
12-13-2006, 03:06 AM
You want these UV tools.
http://homepage2.nifty.com/nif-hp/index2_english.htm

The UV unfolding edit plugin more specifically. It allows you to select where your seams will be and unfold the UVs along them, like a peel.

monfoodoo
12-13-2006, 02:42 PM
Thanks .i'll try it out.scott

mj418
12-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Yeah that "Make UV Edit" plugin is really quite good, but it had me baffled at first. After you load your model or surface into it, you have to start selecting edges for your seam. You don't need edges turned on, and you don't have to hold down shift to select multiple edges. I find it easiest to do in Perspective with Textured Wire turned on. Sometimes it's hard to get an edge selected, but rotating the viewport helps. You can use eithe the right or left mouse buttons to select.
When you get a good seam selection, just press Make UV, and Bob's yer uncle. Playing around with the relax Uv controls helps, or using the Relax Uv plugin that he makes.

monfoodoo
12-14-2006, 09:30 AM
Just read your response.I wasn't getting it at first but it works.Laid that tube right out.Pretty cool.Thanks to the both of you. Scott

Dodgy
12-14-2006, 10:10 AM
I find it much quicker to use in point selection mode. You LMB click where you want to start, then MMB click at the other end of the seam and the plugin tries to work out a common sense seam between those two points. It is really a time saver...

mj418
12-14-2006, 04:26 PM
Dodgy, I never tried that - I didn't even know it could be done that way. Thanks! :-)

monfoodoo
12-15-2006, 08:30 AM
possibly the greatest new addition to my tools.Love it!Scott