PDA

View Full Version : Multi-pass workflow

smudge11
12-12-2006, 05:42 PM
I was just wondering what people are doing as far as setting up their scenes for multi-pass renders on the mac. Do people actually make multiple copies of a scene and set up each for the various passes (organizational nightmare), or is there some plugin that will set this up?

I know there have been various solutions on the PC side, and I know there is the .psd exporter. How does the .psd exporter work with sequences? Can you load the .psd sequences into a compositor (AE, Combustion, Shake) and have access to the various layers?

I must say that this is something that is much easier to set up in C4D, and should be added to the LW feature set. Most of my work has been in print to this point, but doing more animations lately and need the multi-pass control.

Lou

smudge11
12-15-2006, 07:49 AM
So I guess this means that either no one is doing multi-pass renders, or no one has found a way to set it up other than the brute force method.

Any comments? Anyone?

Thanks,
Lou

Thomas
12-15-2006, 08:56 AM
Sorry... missed this one...

Yes, the .PSD exporter is a good one. I've used it a few times and it works really well. You can even export in 16-bits.

The sequence is loadable in Final Cut for example with every layer intact.

I have also done a few mutliple-scenes as well. Perfect for volumetrics, render at 50% and blow it up in comp. (Works best with not-so-detailed volumetrics like smoke, fog etc.)

Hope it helps!

Regards
Thomas

smudge11
12-15-2006, 09:10 AM
It's good to know that the PSD exporter will work in FCP/Motion.
I've always needed to tweak a bit when working for print, so I guess I'll need to work out how best to set up the export for my needs.

Thanks Thomas.

Lou

ScottSullivan
12-15-2006, 04:16 PM
Didn't know about the PSD to FCP workflow. I mostly go to Shake.

I've tried the buffer export under Image Process and that works pretty well. But, yes, it's something I'd REALLY like to see an impovement in LW.

But if you're going to Final Cut, it's worth noting a very useful program called Conduit that has node editing in real-time within Final Cut.

You can export your sequence and assemble them using nodes. Very useful for tweaking. It's like a mini-Shake (would that make it a Frappe?)

Anyway, the site is http://www.dvgarage.com/

Warm regards,
Scott

Lightwolf
12-15-2006, 05:19 PM
Didn't know about the PSD to FCP workflow. I mostly go to Shake.
Excuse the plug, but you might find exrTrader to be quite useful then. And unlike the PSD export, it supports HDR as well (only PS CS3 will support multi-layer float PSD files).

Cheers,
Mike

smudge11
12-15-2006, 10:07 PM
I do have a copy of Conduit, and it is great.
The exrTrader looks interesting on a first glance. I will definitely look into it further.

Lou

ScottSullivan
12-18-2006, 07:47 AM
Yes, I agree. Thanks for the link, Mike. Quite a bit of work it looks like you've put into it!

Scott

archiea
12-19-2006, 09:44 PM
Check out Vrays implementation. LW's solution is so amateur hour with the .psd files outputting to 16 bit images. How about Float output? How about native support for OpenEXR for multiple buffer output. How about automatically outputting a shake script with your rendered buffers that re-assembles your passes in shake, allowing you to interactively adjust the buffers in shake AFTER the render.

toby
12-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Check out Vrays implementation. LW's solution is so amateur hour with the .psd files outputting to 16 bit images. How about Float output? How about native support for OpenEXR for multiple buffer output. How about automatically outputting a shake script with your rendered buffers that re-assembles your passes in shake, allowing you to interactively adjust the buffers in shake AFTER the render.
Funny that they would have software on one platform that makes a script for software that's not available on that platform! Not yet anyway.

I dunno, I think working in LW instead of Max is a much bigger advantage than having a few things native instead of a plugin.