PDA

View Full Version : normal map app PLUS DISPLACEMENT

jin choung
06-17-2003, 01:05 PM
http://www.soclab.bth.se/practices/orb.html

howdy fellows,

this app will allow you to create 24bit normal maps (ala doom3) or grey scale DISPLACEMENT MAPS (that you can use as a regular bump map as well) so that you can keep all the advantages of both a hires mesh and a low res high order surface (ala lord of the rings).

it's completely free but the author is looking for hires models with low res versions to continue testing so if you can hook him up, that would be righteous.

jin

Lamont
06-17-2003, 04:13 PM
Sweet find Jin!! ^_^!!

colkai
06-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Jin,
Is this similar to NormalMapper, or is it something else?

Some form of simple tutorial may be useful to show it 'in action' as it where. The website doesn't seem to throw any light on the matter. Granted I'm a math thickie mind you ;)

jin choung
06-19-2003, 12:56 PM
howdy,

actually,

it's exactly the same as normal mapper with the exception that you can also generate GREY SCALE BUMP/DISPLACEMENT MAPS.

normal mapper only generates actual 24bit color normal maps that would not be usable as a displacement.

but now we can get displacements too. if they ever end up fixing the uvs for SDS, that means we can model a super high detail frozen poly model, convert all that detail into a displacement map and then map that as a displacement onto a reasonably light sds model.

jin

harhar
06-19-2003, 02:37 PM
If you have normal map, why use dis map; nd if you use dis map, why use normal map.

jin choung
06-19-2003, 02:52 PM
you use a normal map in real time engines.

think of it as a 'partially digested' bump map. it's essentially the same thing but it's digested down an extra level so the game engine does not have to do these calculations during run time.

BUT

you cannot possibly use a normal map AS a displacement map. displacement map uses grey scale values to determine height of a surface.

normal map is a 24bit COLOR (that's right, color... very odd colors) that encodes the direction of normals.

while it is completely possible to take a grey scale bump map and use it as a displacement map, it is not possible to take a color normal map and use it as either a displacement map or a standard bump map in lw.

well, i suppose it's possible but you have to either create a shader that will re-interpret the values or convert the normal map back into grey scale.

neither of which is provided for in lw at this time, either by default or plugin.

jin

harhar
06-19-2003, 08:12 PM
again, why use normal map when you use displacement map, and if you use displacement, there will be no need for normal map.

Lamont
06-19-2003, 08:14 PM
It's just an option...

Lamont
06-19-2003, 08:16 PM
You can't take your mesh and generate a height map from it based off the normals as of now. If you could you could make a lower poly version of it and apply the high detail/height accurate displacement map.

You can't take a normal map and just convert it to grey-scale.

Lamont
06-19-2003, 08:20 PM
Take what normal maps come from and what they do for NORMALS (Not physical displacement) and apply it to PHYSICAL displacement. And you get something that is quite useful.

If you make a high poly mesh, and make a low poly that uses the normal map derived from the higher poly one, you will get vastly shorter rendertimes and not loose much visual detail.

jin choung
06-19-2003, 09:35 PM
actually,

i have no idea what you're asking harhar.... i don't understand your question or what about the process you don't understand.

jin

Lamont
06-19-2003, 10:31 PM
Yeah, I was thinking the same thing. I was going to ask my little sister to reply and break it down more for him.

colkai
06-20-2003, 02:22 AM
Could anyone break down the process of using orb for me? :confused:

The Normal Mapper one is quite simple, being in LW - but I'd sure be interested in trying out Orb, sounds very useful.

Ahh, wait a minute, it's all driven by the 'cfg' files innit?
< light slowly comes on in Colkai's brain > ;)

jin choung
06-20-2003, 02:33 AM
the very easiest way is to use 'exec' command on the existing .cfg files and just replace the models that 'face' uses with your own file names....

but the whole thing is just command line driven and there's a help command that should give you a handle on it. really pretty simple if you stick with the defaults.

jin