PDA

View Full Version : Bf109

Dete
02-19-2003, 01:38 AM
Hi all!

Here is my latest project, a Messerschmitt Bf 109..

Ill start texturing It soon - havent decided which method to use yet - planar or UV or :confused:... does anybody with experience have a tip or two ....

Feel free to comment everything..

Dete

Ade
02-19-2003, 02:38 AM
I would go planar, like that u ahve more control over gloss and crap like that. Is this plane going to animate? I like it Im about to start a 109 soon myself, just finished the mig..
Planar will also make it easier to cheap where the vents are and colour them with black maps.. Great model i must say!
Will there be armamants?

ddeaco
02-19-2003, 04:49 AM
I would say go with UV, sperate the wings, hull, rudder and the underside of the wings. then u just have to paint over them in PS. when making the UV maps create a box round the plane so that there is no stretching of the map so that u dont have to mess about when painting.

Dave :)

shockwave
02-19-2003, 08:31 AM
looks good , will you be adding a pilot to it?
:cool:

Randog
02-19-2003, 10:21 AM
I would add some more detail the model and then setup your texturing with UVs.

The statement about using planar because of gloss and stuff is, with all due respect, wrong. Not too sure what the previous poster is trying to say with respect to planar being easier arounf the vents and with the black.

In any event, depending on what the model will be used for you may want to spend a little more time adding the smaller details to the model.

-Randy

shockwave
02-19-2003, 10:28 AM
Yes i agree. The model looks great so far but more details like gun ports and access hatch seams and so forth will really make it come to life especially after the cam is and markings are added. I love it so far though!

Fozz
02-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Originally posted by shockwave
Yes i agree. The model looks great so far but more details like gun ports and access hatch seams and so forth will really make it come to life especially after the cam is and markings are added. I love it so far though!

Gun ports is already modelled, as far as I can see.
But there's no cannon in the nose though. Think they usually had that on most versions.
And access hatches would I do in the texture, unless extreme closeups is needed. And I would go for UV mapping too.

banshee
02-21-2003, 10:05 AM
Looking good so far, though I'm not WWII buff so I'm afraid I can't pick out little things that were not modeled but it looks clean and solid. Bump maps will probably be the more important map(s) followed by color and diffuse IMHO. Lots of bumps for panels, hatches, rivits etc... no pressure :D . "UV's in a box" are the way to go. I usally double the size of the UVmap upon creating them for better texturing and reduce it's size for the final version as needed. Modeled, miniscule details are not neccessary if it's not a close-up and/or your animating it, yet I have a habit of modeling everything. Can't take my own medicine :rolleyes:

Dete
02-21-2003, 10:18 AM
Thanks for the posts !!

Ill start texturing soon , Ive just corrected some minor stuff on the model. I think Ill go for UV texturing - need the practice :D ..

about "adding more detail" I think Ill try to make it with the textures. And no there will be no pilot - it will be a ghost plane - flying around by itself ( since Im such a crappy head modeler, All my heads look like some kind of mix between eskimoes and aliens :)...

Finally here is another render - nothing new just some other views..

.: Dete :.

Dete
02-21-2003, 10:19 AM
and a top view .....

Randog
02-21-2003, 07:04 PM
How close are you planning on getting to the model in your animation(s)?

It looks a bit low-poly if it gets bigger than 1/4 screen, NTSC, that is.

-R

Ade
02-21-2003, 07:31 PM
Dete Im new to Lightwave myself, how do u render with that sepia tone on it?

Dete
02-22-2003, 02:30 AM
Im not planning to get all that close in the animation.. and I hope It will look better with the textures :D ....

To make that kind of render you can use photoshop or the LWs own "Waveimage filter"... Its located ( in layout ) under the scene tab - effects - processing, Add Image Filter - add the "Wavefilter Image". Then set saturation to 0 % and some film grain 30 % or something - then under the "color" tab check the adjust color and choose some kind of yellowish tone..

Epita
02-22-2003, 10:41 AM
I'm just about to start on an Me262 my fav WWII plane. Any tips on using subpatches to make it, i need the practice. Looks great though, nice detail on the glass work.

Epita

Dete
02-22-2003, 01:11 PM
Body done texturing... comments or suggestions anybody ?!

there are som minor gaps in the uvmap that Im aware of :D