PDA

View Full Version : IGS files

Darth Mole
12-12-2006, 11:55 AM
Ugh. just been sent an .igs CAD file and no idea what to do with it. Obviously I'm on a Mac so can anyone out there help, either in converting the file for me or pointing me in the direction of software that can?

Much obliged.

dsol
12-12-2006, 12:07 PM
How big's the file? I have polytrans on my PC with the PTC Granite convertor. I haven't used it for ages, but it shoud still be working. If the file's not too massive then email it to me and I'll convert it into a LWO

you can find my email address on my website (sorry, I don't like posting it directly on forums in case it gets harvested by spambots)

StereoMike
12-12-2006, 12:08 PM
If you need something quick, ask the one who build the .igs file if he can export to something with polygons and _not_ solids like .igs, catia etc.
Don't know, but maybe rhino could transform it into polys. All the big conversion tools won't do it right (as I experienced it).

Mike

StereoMike
12-12-2006, 12:09 PM
Hey cool, I'm interested in the outcome, I didn't knew PTC Granite convertor.

Mike

dsol
12-12-2006, 02:43 PM
Hey cool, I'm interested in the outcome, I didn't knew PTC Granite convertor.

Mike

It's pretty good. I was using it for a job in 2005 where we were trying to convert automobile CAD data into LW models. The main problem it seemed to have was patching quilts (the native spline patches used in IGES files) so that the edges were properly integrated before tessalating. I had to spend a lot of time welding points afterwards on what was a very complex model :(

But it does work - with that caveat in mind. It's fine for simple objects and structures.

StereoMike
12-12-2006, 03:36 PM
Mhh, cause I frequently have to use models made by a catia pipeline. Until now they save the models as vrml, but that means a lot of fixing and tweaking for me afterwards. A major drawback is that they aren't able to control the frozen poly model in any way, catia decides how to tesselate and how fine the mesh will be. Does the polytrans plug has some controls for that?
Mike

dsol
12-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Mhh, cause I frequently have to use models made by a catia pipeline. Until now they save the models as vrml, but that means a lot of fixing and tweaking for me afterwards. A major drawback is that they aren't able to control the frozen poly model in any way, catia decides how to tesselate and how fine the mesh will be. Does the polytrans plug has some controls for that?
Mike

Yeah, when we first tried bringing over the CAD data we tried using the VRML approach. We had the same problem you had - their VRML exporter in their design package didn't give you enough controls to control the density of the mesh it generated. The PTC granite plugin does, though it can be very slow and quirky with complex models (as you would expect perhaps!).

Here's an example of one of the models I converted (see attached)

StereoMike
12-14-2006, 08:32 AM
Thanks alot for the info, much appreciated. If you don't mind I would like to send you a test .igs the next time I get one of those catia projects. Depending on the outcome I'll then prolly have a better way to import the models than using vrml :)

Mike

Klowno
12-14-2006, 08:55 AM
You could try "moi" a new nurbs modeler that is in public beta.
It has igs as import, from there you can then export to obj, great controls
for the density of polys.

http://www.moi3d.com/

Sorry, forgot that you are using mac, well maybe this will help others.

Haven1000
12-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Ugh. just been sent an .igs CAD file and no idea what to do with it. Obviously I'm on a Mac so can anyone out there help, either in converting the file for me or pointing me in the direction of software that can?

Much obliged.

Vectorworks CAD app (http://www.nemetschek.net/ ) has an iges import option. I've only used the ignes import once before and it worked ok, it took a little bit of trial and error when converting the nurbs model within Vectorworks to the triangulated 3ds or dxf output. It may not be a cheap or perfect solution but it works.

Darth Mole
12-14-2006, 05:29 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. dsol helped convert the mesh, although I needed to rebuild a big chunk of the object, either to finesse the curves or to keep the poly count down! Although (mercifully) there were some bits I salvaged from the CAD original.