PDA

View Full Version : Render Time Killers

muse1280
12-12-2006, 09:12 AM
Hello,

I am willing to bet that you can all answer this question in your sleep and there are probably a load of threads relating to this subject, yet the search function seems to not be working for me so here I am.

To the point; I have been asked to put together some short animations to help promote a band's upcoming album release. The animations do not need to be photorealistic nor do they need to win any awards for excellence, they simply need to be entertaining.
I am starting from a relatively blank slate and want to know what I should be watching out for in terms of elements that will greatly increase my render times. I am already aware of what I believe to be the obvious render time killers, radiosity, transparency, excessive area lights, but was not sure what else to be on the look out for.

Again, this is one of those questions that you have probably answered a million times and for that I apologize, but if you could indulge me and start listing away I would greatly appreciate it. The animations only need to be between 5 and 10 minutes.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

P.S. not to butter you all up, but I have to say that the major reason I chose LW was because of the fact that there is such a tremendous community of users that are willing to help even us newbies that ask the same questions over and over.

starbase1
12-12-2006, 09:45 AM
Hello,

I am willing to bet that you can all answer this question in your sleep and there are probably a load of threads relating to this subject, yet the search function seems to not be working for me so here I am.

To the point; I have been asked to put together some short animations to help promote a band's upcoming album release. The animations do not need to be photorealistic nor do they need to win any awards for excellence, they simply need to be entertaining.
I am starting from a relatively blank slate and want to know what I should be watching out for in terms of elements that will greatly increase my render times. I am already aware of what I believe to be the obvious render time killers, radiosity, transparency, excessive area lights, but was not sure what else to be on the look out for.

Again, this is one of those questions that you have probably answered a million times and for that I apologize, but if you could indulge me and start listing away I would greatly appreciate it. The animations only need to be between 5 and 10 minutes.

Thank you for your time and assistance.

P.S. not to butter you all up, but I have to say that the major reason I chose LW was because of the fact that there is such a tremendous community of users that are willing to help even us newbies that ask the same questions over and over.

I think it would helop a LOT if you could give an idea of the kind of stuff you plan on doing - then we would know what elements are relevant.

But one thing I leant the hard way when working to do music vids - save stuff as image sequences, and work in layers! It is SO much better when you have to tweak the timing a bit to match the music. (And getting the action happening right on the beat is all-important for music vids).

It will also mean that you don't have to apply time intensive stuff to every element in the scene.

muse1280
12-12-2006, 10:50 AM
I was more in the ballpark for general elements as I literally have a blank slate to work with, even the music I have been given the green light to adjust within reason.

I am in the brainstorming process and will end up tailoring the final product based on this information.

Ideally these videos will turn out to be like mini silent movies. I will be modeling a handful of characters which I will be animated in order to act out the scene. I anticipate moving the camera far more than the characters outside of facial expresions.

I apologize that I do not have more specifics and thank you for your assistance. I will try and start pulling together the elements that I plan on using and will post once I have them ready for further assistance.

cresshead
12-12-2006, 12:34 PM
hypervoxels!
my current scene went from 8 mins a frame to 1hour 47mins a frame now that the hypervoxels have kicked into to play!...and they're sprit based set to 3 slices not volumetric!!

lion111
12-12-2006, 12:56 PM
dear cresshead
try realflow (expensive but not that bad)
once you have done the sim in realflow
rendering the meshsequence in LW is a no timer

cresshead
12-12-2006, 01:02 PM
it's for a rocket engine flame/smoke not water/fluids otherwise i'd put realflow SE to use....

lion111
12-12-2006, 01:25 PM
dear cresshead
first of all you are wright like allways
but i ve done it
it works for fluids
check the free tuts from kurv
greetings

lion111
12-12-2006, 01:38 PM
dear cresshead
sorry me again