PDA

View Full Version : Jelly Beans

SirToastaLot
12-11-2006, 08:13 AM
This concludes a work-in-progress thread: http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57876

After a lot of on-off work periods and wrestling with Lightwave 7.5 here is the render that will be used for print purposes (rendered at A3 size on a 2003 Dual G5 Power Mac). Photoshop was used to clean up a few details and adjust highlights and contrast.

Let the abuse begin!

LAV
12-11-2006, 11:02 AM
WOW. How many polys and beans?
It's a good view.

SirToastaLot
12-12-2006, 01:15 AM
Thanks for comment LAV.
There were 460 beans in the scene that I rendered. The polygon count was around the 4.5 million mark according to Layout statistics. Each bean has an original polygon count of 460. If we do some maths: 460 beans X 576 polygons = 264960 total polygons. The sub-patching of the beans has probably multiplied the the geometry count...
There are a few more beans in the final image because I duplicated the same layer three times and re-orientated each one to give variety. Added a bit of blur for a fake depth of field effect.

LAV
12-12-2006, 08:59 AM
What's the reason for a so great polys count per single bean?
The final render is... magic.

bobakabob
12-12-2006, 06:42 PM
Agreed, that is a great render. Love the vivid colours and composition.

Carm3D
12-13-2006, 10:51 AM
Surfacting is great. Lighting could be better.

SirToastaLot
12-13-2006, 03:39 PM
Thankyou for the positive comments so far.
I was too lazy to make lower poly count beans, that's all. :)
The old Dual G5 struggled with the render for 51 hours, I think something is wrong with that machine...
What light setup would you suggest for next time, Carm? At the moment there is one weak spotlight shining directly down and a powerful distant light angled from the left.

Carm3D
12-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I like to use two render passes.. One direct light, and another ambient occlusion.

SirToastaLot
12-18-2006, 09:59 AM
Thanks for the tips Carm. Is Occlusion a plug-in only feature?
I've printed the image out at A1 and A3 size on the office's new Canon IPF8000 and IPF5000 printers. The gloss finish looks particularly good. I've had a few request for poster versions...

Carm3D
12-18-2006, 11:07 AM
If you have LW9, occlusion is a shader. If not, you can get the free one (http://www2.informatik.hu-berlin.de/~goetsch/AmbOcc), or the cool one that comes with this nifty package (http://www.shaders.org/ifw2_textures/index.htm) (in both classic and nodal variety).

anim8r
12-18-2006, 01:40 PM
Love the colors =]

But, I agree with the lighting comment. It just seems too even, and the shadows are lost. I think turning down the brightness and changing the light angles might help a bit.

I think to me, the work just seems too perfect (which makes the image easy to recognize as a 3D render).

Also, the beans look like they're stacked like bricks with a lot of space between them. They're all laying flat. Some would be end-over-end or at least in multiple angles. Though, I imagine that would be some painstaking work placing that many beans :D

I like the surfacing, (and now I'm getting really picky) but all of the (frosted?) logos on the beans are also too perfect. I imagine some would have scratches or at least would be poorly stamped here and there.

Sorry to be so critical of a really nice piece of work, but those are the things that stick out to me.

SirToastaLot
12-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Thanks for the new comments, open to negative comments since you can learn from them.
I'll have to check out that occlusion plugin soon. Cheers for the link.
I made the 'ideal' bean so you have a perfectly placed frosted logo that isn't half applied around the side somewhere. I might be sounding lazy but it was a decision made from the start. Food items always look perfect in promo images. As everyone knows, when the real thing arrives you're disappointed!

I was reading up on Lightwave's Hard_FX system a few days ago, could it be used to create a convincing pile of beans? It might cut out some of the arduous multiple bean cloning and placing process. :D