PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice: PS3 or XBox 360

pnelson
12-10-2006, 09:32 PM
Hmm... I'm trying to decide what to get myself for Christmas...

One of the reasons I'm considering these consoles is the HD-DVD/Blu-Ray support.. It's much easier to convince the wife that I "NEED" at replacement for my trusty X-Box if she can watch movies.. ;)

Soo... The question is..

Which should I go with and why? Is the HD format wars enough reason to pick one over the other? XBox 360 is much easier to find. When you add the HD-DVD option, they end up being around the same price.

HELP!

lots
12-10-2006, 10:58 PM
I'd get a Wii :P (wait... I already did :))

But, if I were to get one of the "other" systems, it would be the Xbox. Gears of war = pretty. That and I have a personal boycott on Sony :P

pnelson
12-10-2006, 11:00 PM
The Wii looks pretty cool but doesn't satisfy my HD "disc" playback requirement. :)

geothefaust
12-10-2006, 11:28 PM
The Wii looks pretty cool but doesn't satisfy my HD "disc" playback requirement. :)

Wii...

Good luck on the HD playback with a ps3, it only plays bluray discs. I'd go with a 360, if you have the cash to spend (since you don't want a Wii). I too, am boycotting sony rubbish.

Silkrooster
12-10-2006, 11:52 PM
Wii...

Good luck on the HD playback with a ps3, it only plays bluray discs. I'd go with a 360, if you have the cash to spend (since you don't want a Wii). I too, am boycotting sony rubbish.
You do realize Blue ray is HD(screen res that is). So far it looks like they are winning the format war, but that is a personal opinion.
I heard there may be a problem playing older playstation games on ps3. Don't really know any of the details.
Silk

Lito
12-11-2006, 12:09 AM
It depends...what movies do you want to see in HD? Check the lists of what is available now and about to come out.

Try
http://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/hdformats/highdefreleases.html

Then you can decide which box to get. Games wise I'd probably lean towards the 360. More games at the moment since the PS3 was just released.

You should consider what kind of HDTV you have. If you don't have one then you won't see that great a difference over DVD. If your TV is 1080i but doesn't support 720p then you might have issues with the PS3 since it's scaler isn't that good.

Another consideration is your sound system, do you have an HDMI connector, 5.1 analog inputs or just a Optical/Coax digital input? Ideally you'd want the HDMI connector for the PS3. The 360 only transcodes the data through the optical so you never will be able to get the lossless audio offered on some HD-DVD discs. I am not 100% sure how the PS3 handles audio over the optical, I believe it will only send the DD track as 5.1 if you select the lossless you'll only get stereo.

And lastly you will probably have trouble finding the PS3 till spring of next year.

Good Luck :)

Bitboy
12-11-2006, 01:11 AM
It is actually a small percentage of older games that so far doesn't work on the PS3. This will be fixed via a downloadable software upgrade later. Some PS1 games have already shown up on the Playstation Network as far as I know.

My vote is for the PS3, it's got more diversity regarding hardware than the XBox 360 and I know I have to wait a while but Tekken and the new Gran Turismo is what I'm waiting for. Not to mention MGS4 :) And it's works together with the PSP (which I already have).

But yes Gears of War for the XBox 360 looks awesome. Though I already have an oven so I don't need the Xbox External Heating Brick PSU :2guns: Can't help it, I just hate that brick... Why on earth did they make it that way?

But it's an individual choice. I always try to be as objective as I can when choosing new gadgets. So look at the games available/to come and look at the consoles. Which appeals to you the most. What fits your current budget and hardware.

And if in doubt about something just ask around until you have a satisfying answer. I'll be glad to help regarding the PS3 since that's the one I've decided on and I've read a great deal about it.

Bog
12-11-2006, 02:15 AM
Good Reasons to buy an X360:

1) Superbly implimented online community
2) Swags of good, cheap downloadable content
3) Gears of War
4) Dead Rising
5) Halo 2 right now, Halo 3 Real Soon Now(tm)
6) Serenity on HD-DVD

Good Reasons to buy a PS3:

1) Firefly on Blu-Ray

Ok, so that's a personal thing with me (I'm not really a car-racing game fan, and beat-em-ups also bore me), and I could cavail for hours about how apalling it is that one half of the Browncoat 'verse is in one format, and the original half (many say the cardinal half) is in an incompatable, other format. Suffice it to say, it chafes.

I've had nothing but good times with my 360, though. For tilt-sensor goodness, the Wii is there to assuage my arm-waving hungers. Also, with regards to the PS3, having a black obelisk of ratio 1:4:9 in my front room would be a little too ominous for my tastes.

LW3D
12-11-2006, 02:28 AM
and you can use PS3 for your computer needs at home. There is yellow dog linux and it looks cool. I think next few months we will see lots of linux application for PS3. beucase it has all we want.. faster CPU, Better GPU, bluray etc..

Speedmonk42
12-11-2006, 02:35 AM
I really doubt, and have read, that the PS3 Linux does not have full access to the GPU.

That would bankrupt sony overnight.

I would buy 10 tommorrow.

xbox and ps3 are both prison products. Linux finds no real magical way around this.

Bog
12-11-2006, 02:41 AM
Yup. Also with Sony's draconian approach to homebrew, you can expect firmware updates to happen along, slamming doors in the face of running Linux and homebrew code as fast as they can - witness the PSP, which is a delightful little slab of tech. Cheerfully able to emulate an Amiga 500 at full speed... or it would be, if Sony's firmware updates didn't keep locking out that kind of programming, and if their deliberate obfuscation didn't prevent coders from figuring out how to, eg, use the GPU's power.

Tsk. That peeves me.

Tank
12-11-2006, 10:22 AM
I went Xbox 360. It's easy to find, has a fairly reasonable price, is getting some really great games and has a great online marketplace.

For me, even if I could find one, the PS3 is just too expensive and only has one really great looking exclusive game, something that doesn't look like it will change any time soon.

CMT
12-11-2006, 11:35 AM
As far as the format wars, my opinion is that HD-DVD will probably become the norm as it is more expensive to make the Blu-Ray disks and are a bit more durable. Yeah, Blu-Ray will hold more info, but you can still fit an HD movie on an HD-DVD and still have plenty of room for extras. That's my take on it, anyway. I don't know for sure though.

But as for gaming, Bog's spot on. Gear of War online is the most fun I've had with a game since the original Halo. Gamertag KrakenCMT if anyone wants to hook up in a Gears game sometime!

Wickster
12-11-2006, 12:33 PM
PS3 stock is questionable until next year. XBOX360 won't play HDDVD unless you purchase a $199 HDDVD attachment. (Though with some hack I hear that you can make the XB360's HDDVD work on the PC). I'd say get a Wii and wait out all the firmware update woes that the PS3 is going through right now (this should give the chance of saving your money back and get the PS3 once the stock gets regular again next year.) XB360, I personally don't play FPS that much so I'll wait for the next price drop.

cresshead
12-11-2006, 12:49 PM
if you want to have 'fun' get a Wii
if you want to kick aliens butts then get a xbox360
if you want to spend a wedge of cash get a ps3

Exception
12-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Check this out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1hwb5yGZZQ

Verlon
12-11-2006, 03:19 PM
Blue ray has a better movie lineup overall, methinks.

I have mixed reviews on Sony. On the one hand, I HATE that rootkit nonsense and the whole mentality that spawned it. On the other hand, they were very nice and fixed my out of warranty VX2000 for free and in a hurry, too (green CCD went out).

PS3 will run warm also (we run enough leading edge tech in this forum to not be shocked by this, no?).

If you want a game console and just using the HD aspect as a hook for the 'missus,' I like the 360 (more games, online community, etc). Oh, and so sorry...the 'missus' here loves some quality family time on the xbox.

If you SERIOUSLY want to take adavantage of the movies (today), seems like more good stuff is on Blue ray, but I still think HD will win eventually. I hate this format war. I really do.

WhiteBoy
12-11-2006, 03:37 PM
I'm buying a Wii.

I'll get a Blu-Ray player (or HD-DVD player, whichever wins the war) when the prices become reasonable. Trying to stay "on the edge" of technology all the time will bankrupt you for no good reason. People just need to learn patience.

lots
12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Personally I have a Wii and a DVR hooked up to my TV. Once a format wins, I'll likely purchase either a drive for my DVR (though with linux running this may be an issue [DRM junk...]) or just get a stand alone player. Either case, my TV only does 720p at best.

pnelson
12-11-2006, 05:18 PM
Lots o' good info here! Thanks for the replies.

That firefly/serenity thing has me a little confused. ;)

Speedmonk42
12-11-2006, 05:59 PM
I wouldn't buy in on the basis of the format.

I saw a BluRay HD Samsung set up here, it was playing the movie Click.

My god it was bad. I was actually amazed at how bad it was. Now, this may not of course be an indicator of what future encoding will do.

cresshead
12-11-2006, 06:07 PM
blue ray and hd are not a paradime shift in tech just really a sort term solution of 3-5 years max...by then 'disc based' films will most probably be replaced by a non moving part solid state medium.

Bog
12-11-2006, 06:08 PM
*koff*

Paradigm

</Conan_the_Grammarian>

Snosrap
12-11-2006, 06:12 PM
Heck do what we usally do in the Snosrap household-- get 'em all!

Cheers
Snosrap

Whelkn
12-11-2006, 06:19 PM
What I like the most about Xbox 360 is the media center part of it. I can download HD movies to the Xbox hard drive as well as stream my own HD content off of my PC and watch them all in front of my 50 inch plasma :-) cool stuff--- Now if speed edit would just hurry up and come out ;-)

Bog
12-11-2006, 06:23 PM
What I like the most about Xbox 360 is the media center part of it. I can download HD movies to the Xbox hard drive as well as stream my own HD content off of my PC and watch them all in front of my 50 inch plasma :-) cool stuff--- Now if speed edit would just hurry up and come out ;-)

50"... *whine*

But also, it means I get to review my HD footage on an HDTV, as a "normal viewer" would see it, instead of from a calibrated monitor.

Might have a tiny go at Geometry Wars having checked the footage, you know, nothing excessive... ;)

Wickster
12-11-2006, 06:35 PM
Well here's what I did/going to do. I'm not sure if its a good advice to follow but it seemed rather reasonable for me at my situation. I bought a Wii with Component Cable (lets you play 480p instead of 480i).

I'm going to wait for the company that gives me a dual format player BluRay/HDDVD. It's bound to happen, LG, Samsung and all the middle guys that didn't take sides will take advantage of both so I'll wait then. But thats me. ;)

Bog
12-11-2006, 06:37 PM
Phil Nelson! Come play Gears of War with us! It rocks!

;)

calilifestyle
12-11-2006, 06:50 PM
From what i heared, could be be wrong. but there will never be a duelfromat player. sony owns blueray and doesnt want to share/play nice. Go over to dl.tv or twit.tv look it up i know they talk about it . some where. you cant say they never dont this before (those mindis players and their formats)

lilrayray77
12-11-2006, 07:05 PM
50 inch plasma :-

Ewww, plasma, thats old tech... now our 52" LCD, yum...

Now my say on all of this... If you are unsure, wait a couple months and see how the PS3 turns out. Everyone was criticizing it within the first week that it came out. If you remember the launch of the 360, it wasnt to hot either (well actually quite the opposite ;)).

voriax
12-11-2006, 07:24 PM
From what i heared, could be be wrong. but there will never be a duelfromat player. sony owns blueray and doesnt want to share/play nice. Go over to dl.tv or twit.tv look it up i know they talk about it . some where. you cant say they never dont this before (those mindis players and their formats)

A few companies, Samsung, LG, NEC, are ready to produce dual format players..

Neither Sony or Toshiba can own their format and not allow it to be integrated into another player.. otherwise, we would only see Sony Blu-Ray players and Toshiba HD-DVD players, and every other company would eventually go out of business..

By the way, I'd go PS3.. much more potential than xbox in my opinion - and i hate microsoft..
I'll still probably get a Wii just for the fun of it :D

Whelkn
12-11-2006, 07:37 PM
the Wii is freaking awesome by the way---cheap and fun--- I took it home for thanksgiving and now I have to get my dad one!!!!!!!! so be careful who you show it to !!!!!!!!!!

Danic101
12-11-2006, 07:59 PM
Actually, Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are licensed formats from Sony and Toshiba, so they do own the formats. Both companies have publicly stated that said license agreements prohibit any manufacturer from producing a dual format player. Dual Format Decoding chips and laser pickups do exist however they will never be allowed to be mated together in an authorized player. That being said it is technically feasible for a Grey market Chinese manufacturer to build a machine capable of playing back both formats except for the fact they could never playback a commercially replicated disc. One of the "hottest" features of both blu-ray and HD-DVD is the DRM which requires the player to be digitally signed. Like any DRM this could possibly cracked however this would violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act here in the US ( As well as other laws around the world) thus it would be illegal to import. The Best Dual-Format option would be to buy both an HD-DVD and Blu-ray PC drives and the various playback software.

lots
12-11-2006, 08:32 PM
The thing about Sony vs MS is they're both bad choices ;) So really, I'd go with the one that is less evil. ATM that seems to be MS.. oddly enough... Plus Halo 3 and Gears of War are hard to ignore, on the coolness factor.

I've seen plenty of mumblings about dual format drives. Samsung I'm sure, is working on one. I'm sure others are too.

Personally I'm more of a PC gamer, our games are vastly superior to most console games ;) (granted some games just scream console, like fighting games [tekken] and sports games) In either case, most of what makes the PS3 "neat" was outclassed by computers before it was even released.. Mmmm G80..

calilifestyle
12-11-2006, 11:06 PM
Actually, Both Blu-ray and HD-DVD are licensed formats from Sony and Toshiba, so they do own the formats. Both companies have publicly stated that said license agreements prohibit any manufacturer from producing a dual format player. Dual Format Decoding chips and laser pickups do exist however they will never be allowed to be mated together in an authorized player. That being said it is technically feasible for a Grey market Chinese manufacturer to build a machine capable of playing back both formats except for the fact they could never playback a commercially replicated disc. One of the "hottest" features of both blu-ray and HD-DVD is the DRM which requires the player to be digitally signed. Like any DRM this could possibly cracked however this would violate the Digital Millennium Copyright Act here in the US ( As well as other laws around the world) thus it would be illegal to import. The Best Dual-Format option would be to buy both an HD-DVD and Blu-ray PC drives and the various playback software.
yeah this what meant sorry. i went home think dang i should have said something like above. but again thnx

Speedmonk42
12-12-2006, 01:19 AM
Halo 3
Gears of War

There is also the newly announced xna make your own 360 game thing that looks like it might be fun.

pnelson
12-17-2006, 08:36 PM
After playing both systems, I think I'm leaning toward the XBox 360.. Another factor that is weighing HEAVILY...

Out of the 6 game stores that I visited, only one had a PS3 that wasn't crashed, locked up or turned off. Two Wal-Marts had PS3's with frozen screens.

Gears of War is looking sooo sweet and the whole Zune support is cool too.

mattclary
12-18-2006, 07:38 PM
I always base my system purchase on the presence of games I want to play. Currently I don't own any of the new gen boxes, but when Mass Effect comes out, I pretty much promise you I will be buying a 360.

pnelson
12-18-2006, 10:32 PM
Yes.. I have a great wife.. Tonight she suprised me with an early Christmas Present.. XBox 360 "Good Bundle"... Even included a sweet XBox 360 backpack.

Loving it so far. I wish that I hadn't been such an early adopter when I purchased my HDTV.. It's about 4 years old 57" Widescreen.. Unfortunately, not 1080 support. ;(

Even in the lower res modes, the XBox looks great!

Thanks for the advice.. I'm off to play Burnout!

Lito
12-19-2006, 12:48 AM
By old HDTV do you mean CRT based? If so then you should have 1080i via component. I was an early adopter too but a year ago I upgraded but the old set was more than capable of doing 1080i, it just can't do 720p. Old HDTVs based on CRT are ususally 480i/480p and 1080i only. Later LCD types and DLP are generally 480i/480p/720p and since about a year ago they do 480i/480p/720p/1080i and the newest sets do all 480i/480p/720p/1080i/1080p.

Grimstone
01-02-2007, 10:57 AM
well im too an xbox360 player, playing rainbow six vegas:D
gamertag ( boltthorn )

pnelson
01-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Just finished Call of Duty 2. Great game!

I'm loving HD-DVD! It's super SWEET!

pnelson
01-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Napolean Dyanmite never look so good! Woah.. That sounds a little weird.

Signal to Noise
01-02-2007, 12:14 PM
I haven't bought into the whole HD-DVD vs. Blu-Ray thing yet. However, my vote is XBox 360. I've also owned a 360 for a year now and it's performing flawlessly.

- XBox Live
- Media Center
- Halo series
- Majority of original XBox games are compatible on 360
- Gears of War
- Mass Effect (when it comes out)

The Wii looks cool from a fitness (I'm sure we could all benefit from that!) point of view with those controllers but the games don't appeal to me. The PS3, although it has a huge library of games, just does not compare graphically against the 360. Sony has always been form over function in my book anyway.

Whelkn
01-02-2007, 12:19 PM
hahahaha--- I need to pick up the HD-DVD add on-- are there allot of movies released for HD-DVD yet? I'm digging on the HD-movie download via xbox live---but I just moved and cable isn't getting installed till the end of the week so no internet or cable till then :-(

JReble
01-02-2007, 02:11 PM
Hey Philip,

I've been doing lots of reading for weeks on both the high def DVD formats and both the gaming platforms. I'm really confident that you're hooked up with the better option. From all indications, the PS3 has a number of "issues" to be worked out and the Blue-Ray format is loosing ground. I also was reading a recent review on the competing high def DVD formats and from the extensive visual comparisons provided, the HD-DVD images looked considerably better.

If I had to wager on one of the two succeeding, I'd go with HD-DVD easily. As for the short term retail success of the gaming machines, I'd vote Wii, XBox-360, and PS3 in that order. The wii's gonna win on mass appeal, but us boys got to have our fancy graphics, and that's where the 360 will appeal more as a big boy toy. The best question is why the heck do you even have to ask us? We're all scraping pennies, you can get all three of them man. You work for Newtek! :jester:

Bog
01-02-2007, 02:31 PM
Also, if you only slightly mistype, "Blu-Ray" becomes "Blurry"

This will obviously put people off subconsciously.

Er. Maybe.

geothefaust
01-02-2007, 02:40 PM
You do realize Blue ray is HD(screen res that is). So far it looks like they are winning the format war, but that is a personal opinion.
I heard there may be a problem playing older playstation games on ps3. Don't really know any of the details.
Silk

I do realise that. I should have distinguished with what I meant. I meant HD-DVD.

Lamont
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
I didn't see this thread :D, if your looking to get another system (you should) I'll toss my $12.26 in (0.02 for every game I own).

I have all 3 and here are my opinions:

Wii - Best game to play outside of Zelda is Wii Sports/Rayman. It's a great system and if you're a graphics monger then I guess you'll have problems with it doing _only_ 480p. My wife already plays games, but she's been clocking serious time with Elebits. She calls it the Katamari Damacy where it goes by weight, not size. It will get your family to play. Even the "non gamers" will play as Wii Sports brings people in to give it a try and the controls are natural. Although some spazzy morons have managed to break things...

PS3 - All I have is NBA07 and Resistance. Nothing much to do other than play those two games (well I lived NBA07, so no need to play). I'm not a movie person and Anime looks fine in 720p. It's just starting out, so it's not fair to compare to a system that's been out for 1 year and is in good stride. MGS and a few others are on the way and will make the system more than just a $600 conversation piece on how you did bad things to get it. I don't see anything in the future that would get non-gamers to play.

XB360 - Lots of good games obviously. I don't like Halo, but I do own them (Why?). Gears of War is an "ok" game, and it was a system seller, just a bit over-rated and buggy. I am not saying don't get it though ;). Another great game is Rainbow 6: Vegas. Although no control is given over mission planning like the older PC versions, it's still fun. The market place on the 360 is sweet, demo's movies and full games right there when you want it. MS has had 4 years to get this going and it shows, so no hitches (other than when the world is trying to DL the Halo 3 trailer).

Personally, you can't go wrong with any of them, and you will have fun with the 360.

If anyone wants a bullet in the face, I'll play you in Rainbow 6:Vegas - XBL name MegaLamont (http://www.360voice.com/blog.asp?tag=MegaLamont). Looks like my 360 is upset... well I just got a bunch of DS games and Castlevania:PoR is taking all my time, going through it a 3rd time.