PDA

View Full Version : xsi scene export to lightwave for rendering?

cresshead
12-10-2006, 03:51 PM
xsi scene export to lightwave for rendering?

i'm working on some cgi fx for a independant sci-fi feature and one of the other artists is using xsi...we're looking at maybe moving his scenes over to lightwave to render as xsi foundation can only render to a single pc...i've asked on the xsi forum over on cg talk but not really got much info back as yet...

info i'm looking at is what transfers and what doesn't...re lighting, textures animation, cameras...shaders etc

does anyone have info on what the gotchas are for exporting scenes made in xsi and wanting to render them out over in lightwave?...i hear using point oven is the way to go but that xsi 6.0 will when it's released have point oven built into it...

still not found a release date for xsi 6.0....anyone know!

myself i'm using lightwave el blanco on some scenes that have hypervoxels etc and fprime where i can!

cheers in advance !

metahumanity
12-10-2006, 04:57 PM
I think Point Oven is what You need.

DaveW
12-10-2006, 05:32 PM
XSI 5.1 includes point oven. It should export animation, surfaces(but no textures) cameras and lights.

cresshead
12-10-2006, 07:05 PM
hi thank...i'm waiting to hear back fr om the artist which version he has..4 or 5 and if he's on foundation, ess or advanced..plus if he'll be getting 6.0 or not!

cheers for the info on 5.11 having point oven already...6.0 has even more interploative tools by the looks too...

me..i'm rendering my scene with lightwave on some scenes and fprime on others..plus max will get a looking on the interior shots of the citydome.

cheers
steve g

Intuition
12-10-2006, 08:38 PM
I've aways liked XSI. My only beef is I wish I could get Mental Ray to be more intuitive to use and less clunky. No doubts about its power but, sometimes a simple approach is better for most tasks.

Strange that you ask this because I have been getting back up to speed with 5.1 XSI and am also looking into getting things back into Lightwave to render with F-Prime.

The reason is that XSI can utilize Ageis Physx cards for dynamic calcs and does so with nice accuracy and speed that we are considering a few tests runs to see how well the conversion to LW will be so we can utilize LW's unlimited render node approach or even F-Prime. Both being faster and cheaper then using Mental Ray.

Demo of XSI using Ageis card.

http://www.softimage.com/education/tutorials/tutorials_arch/webTutorials/XSI_5_0/physx_DT/physx_DT.mov

Nudge nudge..wink wink... @ Newtek.....gimme that in LW please. But not before faster GI ;) :D

So, I will be spying on the progress of this post if you don't mind.

Ztreem
12-11-2006, 05:31 AM
Nudge nudge..wink wink... @ Newtek.....gimme that in LW please. But not before faster GI ;) :D

:agree: