PDA

View Full Version : Transparency Dilemma

art24six
12-10-2006, 05:02 AM
I am having difficulty with objects that are 100% transparent leaving artifacts. I have posted an image to show you what I mean. The problem is with the eyelashes. Although I am using a black and white transparency map (and I have checked that the black is 100% black and white is 100% white) the part that is meant to be transparent shows some sort of artifact.

The other thing I have found is that in order for the lashes to cast a shadow I have to have the lashes object double sided. Not a problem for lashes but huge time consuming render crunching problem for hair. Do I need to muck about with the nodes???

I am using LW9 on a 24 inch iMac.

Help... I'm fairly new to LW and not savvy with all its complexities.

Craig

toby
12-11-2006, 12:47 AM
If your surface has any specularity or reflection, that will still be visible. You will need to add the transparency map to those channels to get a 0 value where it's transparent. It might be easier to use a clip map instead.

I don't think you have a choice with the double-side thing to cast shadows.

art24six
12-13-2006, 04:21 PM
Thx for your reply. There is no specularity or reflection but I understand what you mean. I'll continue to play about with the render globals and see what I can figure out.