PDA

View Full Version : New to 3d and trying to decide what to use

npennington
06-17-2003, 09:28 AM
I am new to 3d and trying to decide what to use a product. I have downloaded Maya PLE and Softimage XSI EXP. Both products do not perform well on the laptop I will be using, here is the spec of the laptop

Toshiba Tecra M1

Pentium 4(M) running at 1.4 Ghz
256 Megs of RAM
60 Gig Hard drive
Trident XP4 video card - 32 Megs of RAM
15.1" Screen
Windows XP Professional

What does everyone think. I want to start developing a concept for movie that will be along the lines of an Ice Age or a Jimmy Neutron. Does Lightwave give me this capability of designing this, I know that Lightwave was used for Jimmy Neutron. Would I need to get a Character Animation product like Poser 5 to build the character. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

beverins
06-17-2003, 01:59 PM
well, the laptop is fairly weak, I'm not surprised Maya and XSI didn't work on it. The video chip especially.

Lightwave might work better on that laptop, it seems to be far more tolerant of weaker hardware than Maya and XSI could ever be.

I know that budgets are tight - your intention to use that laptop is telling. :-) You will definately need more RAM. 512 or more.

You will need a bigger hard drive. Perhaps an external USB or firewire model.

Download the 7.5c update, it will install and you will have the Demo Copy (it defaults to demo when there is no dongle present). Use the Demo (its terribly limited - 100-400 points and no saving) but it does have all the functionality.

See if it works for you.

Overall, I would recommend chucking that laptop and getting something from Dell that can be used for 3D animation (they have a new model supposedly that has a Quadro card built in... rather expensive but definately worth it) ....

Or, save the money and get a nice desktop workstation. www.Sharbor.com has a free HP Workstation with every copy of Lightwave sold for $1595... its really pretty hard to beat that deal.

As for designing a movie like that - yes, Lightwave has the capability. As for using Poser 5, Poser is great at realistic humans, and not so great for cartoonlike characters. Lightwave comes with a superior modeler, so learn that (it will be a steep climb, but once you're there, the view is breathtaking) and you will be on your way.

Buy books, read tutorials. You will eventually learn.

But get a better hardware rig first. Sorry to say, but that laptop is really lacking.

npennington
06-17-2003, 03:33 PM
I have a high end desk top at home - Dell

Pentium 4 1.8 Ghz
512 RAM
2 (30) Gig AV Rated Hard Drive
About to purchase new video card and sound card

The problem I have is I need to use something while I am mobile, I have three different laptops but this has the best video card. Thanks for your advice, it really helps. I will try to down 7.5 and see what happens.

vrolfak
06-17-2003, 10:07 PM
actually i run LW on a PIII 933 MHrtz with a 40 gigs HD, 512 Ram and a Radeon 9000 Pro card 128 Mb. with dual monitor setup, and it runs well, i mean i have no complaints at all. itīs sometimes slow when your working on heavy scenes, but other that that, it runs perfect.

so the hardware problem shoudnīt be such a problem.

Hiraghm
06-18-2003, 10:13 AM
Ha, I got you all beat.

I run Lightwave on an Amiga with a 25mhz 68030, 2 meg video ram, and 3 meg of memory. :D

(well I do run it on that, but I still do my work on my P4 Windows box... ;) )