PDA

View Full Version : Funny old things, forums.

Bog
12-09-2006, 12:13 PM
It's odd. I've been freelance for darn near 11 years now (It will, in fact, be 11 years on the 4th of March 2007), and over the time that I've been working alone, I've kept in touch with LightWavers around the globe through all kinds of different methods - email, IRC, the LightWaveMailingList, SpinQuad, Here.

It's probably because I'm a smidge emotional - been a year of some major breakthroughs, to be sure, but it's also been a good couple of years since I've had what could be construed a "vacation" - that I feel the urge to thank you all for your knowledge, your insights into difficult problems, your knowledge of the various systems, subsystems, plugins, techniques, work-arounds, kludges and outright hacks that constitute the material end of being a LightWave animator.

But more than that, thank you for your wit, your patience, your friendliness and your warmth. For making those times when I'm sat here shoving 'gons at oh-dark-hundred for the 40th day running without a break a bit more tolerable.

Thanks for being out there, gentlebeings. It's been great starting to actually meet up with some of you for sillies and beers, playing kick-the-meme over pints and tapas, and just for continuing to let me know that while the road is rough and uphill, I'm not doing it on my own - and neither are you.

Selah.

iconoclasty
12-09-2006, 01:32 PM
Bog are you okay? You're not dying are you?

Bog
12-09-2006, 01:52 PM
Bog are you okay? You're not dying are you?

Hahahahaha, crap no, you buggers aren't lucky enough to get rid o'me that easy ;)

What. A guy can't just sit back and say he's glad to be in a place?

:D

Signal to Noise
12-09-2006, 01:53 PM
You're sitting back and getting drunk on scotch, aren't you?

;)

Bog
12-09-2006, 02:00 PM
I wish. I'm on antibiotics at the mo, so I'm not even allowed my usual weekend lungful!

Nah, I'm just honoured and happy to share such a brilliant space with people. I don't need to be ethanoically inconvenieced to say that. If I was dwunk I'd find one of oDDity's posts to go take exception to ;)

iconoclasty
12-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Bog, I am honored to share this space with someone with your sense of humor.

Bog
12-09-2006, 03:32 PM
And I with you, old stick. We've seen a lot of stuff, this space, and we've all been our own selves in a lot of different ways, and we're all doing different things - but not so different under the skin.

I just beleive in speaking my positive thoughts, is all - and it's a privilege and an honour to brave the slings and arrows of clients, deadlines, hardware failures, software glitches and real life kicking us in the crotch with all of you.

So anyone who's got a bit of positive to share, here's a place for it. Do feel free.

Dodgy
12-09-2006, 04:23 PM
Quick reply, glad to be with you all in this!

cresshead
12-09-2006, 05:17 PM
sure beats bagging sand for a living!

kopperdrake
12-09-2006, 07:06 PM
Aye - it's struck me recently too how much I rely on you people in these forums generally since starting to work on my own. I've laughed on here, not yet cried (though some posts bring me close to tears of laughter), met people I now work with but have never met!, talked to so many people whose work I knew before them. If I have a LW problem I come straight here knowing that at least one person will have a ****ed good stab at helping me (and at least two people will crack a funny about it).

So totally agree Bog - it's a special place for special people ;)

cresshead
12-09-2006, 07:26 PM
yup, we all seem to fall into the 'special needs' category!..lw that is!....that's one joke...one more to come...

Danic101
12-09-2006, 07:27 PM
I agree I love these forums always so helpful. Bog your posts are always a joy to read.

Twisted_Pixel
12-09-2006, 08:06 PM
I dont often reply here, but i read these forums everyday. Your posts always lighten the day Bog :)

Im only starting to take my future with Lightwave seriously now, but seeing the joy that all of you get from working with it. Gives me hope that its all worth the change.

Hopefully many more years of joy to come from here.

Silkrooster
12-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I am proud to be among the lightwave community. It is a hope of mine to one day get a chance to meet you all in person. Even though I have not met anybody I still like to call most of you my friend. I had to remove spammers from the list. :hey:
Take care and wish all of you a happy holiday.
Silk

liquidpope
12-09-2006, 09:49 PM
I love everything about 3D, especially the Lightwave Community. There's lots of other apps out there, but the main reason I stick with LW is the community. Sure there's the occassional oDD-ball here and there, but every family has that. The weird uncle, the crazy in-laws... Box o' chocolates and all that.
I've probably learned more here with you guys than anywhere else. (and of course the "Inside LW" series. Thanks, Dan!)
So, my Lightwave family, thank you for many years of being there. You guys rock! And to the weird uncles and crazy in-laws, you guys rock too, but in a very different way. And that's OK.

:lwicon: May the Nodes be with you. :yoda:

Exception
12-09-2006, 11:14 PM
You're welcome, bog.

Just kidding.
The community is made up out of people like yourself. That's why it's such a good one.

Here's to many years: :caffeine: (for lack of beer icon)

hrgiger
12-09-2006, 11:35 PM
Bog you big ol softie....

Obviously, I enjoy spending a spare moment or two on the forums. I didn't make 5000 posts yesterday you know. I've learned a lot here on the forums and at the same time have tried to pass that information along to people who are just starting out and I think it's that kind of attitude that so many of you share that make the Lightwave community so great.

borkus
12-09-2006, 11:41 PM
bog, you hit the nail on the point for that one. i'm still a noob, so i have to just sit back and try to absord what you guys talk about. but for me, this forum is one of the most helpful i've run across. christ, you guys put up with my stupid posts!!! that alone is golden. but seriously, this is one of the few lightwave specific areas that is a wealth of knowledge. lewis, starbase1, splinegod, silkrooster, bog, and so many others (sorry, those are the names that stuck out in my mind, don't mean to forget anyone. you all have helped me. even oddity...), you all have soo much to give. hopefully, at some point i'll be able to give back. but for now, you guys are literally "gods" to me. so it is very appreciative to be a part of this community.

borkus
12-09-2006, 11:52 PM
how could i forget hrgiger!!! argh!!!!

borkus
12-09-2006, 11:54 PM
nice new avatar, hrgiger

Exception
12-10-2006, 12:19 AM
i'm still a noob, so i have to just sit back and try to absord what you guys talk about.

That's how we all started :)

Bog
12-10-2006, 03:50 AM
i'm still a noob, so i have to just sit back and try to absord what you guys talk about.

To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid. ;)

One thing I would say, though, is revel in this time - it's when you don't know where the barriers are that you can pull off really crazy stuff. :D

DarkLight
12-10-2006, 08:49 AM
To be old and wise, you must first be young and stupid. ;)

Getting older, not sure about the wiser part though. :D

randomnumbers
12-10-2006, 04:48 PM
mostly a lurker but would like to chime in on this one...
...for me this place is a godsend; usually the search engine gives me an answer straight away.. so great to have such a wealth of knowledge at ones fingertips
And when I do have to post a question, it is always answered quickly and courtesy and usually with multiple ways around the problem at hand.
Hoping I will one day be able to contribute with a few answers of my own!

Bog
12-10-2006, 04:49 PM
Getting older, not sure about the wiser part though. :D

Yeah man, I'm kinda hoping I'm in some kinda transitory phase. Not putting money on it just yet, mind ;)

Captain Obvious
12-10-2006, 05:06 PM
Let me raise my glass in agreement, Bog! I don't think I can describe just how big an effect online forums (CG in particular) have had on my life.

Speaking of community spirit, is there an LWUG in the UK? It seems I'll be moving to London in a few weeks, and it would be cool to meet some of you in person.

Bog
12-10-2006, 05:07 PM
Let me raise my glass in agreement, Bog! I don't think I can describe just how big an effect online forums (CG in particular) have had on my life.

Speaking of community spirit, is there an LWUG in the UK? It seems I'll be moving to London in a few weeks, and it would be cool to meet some of you in person.

There is indeed a LWUKUG in London ;) Starbase1 seems to be the normal organiser, but if you chuck a post into the User Groups thread, then I'm sure whoever's not deadline-locked, pre-booked for a Giftmas Party or whatever would be happy to throng along and raise a jar!

colkai
12-11-2006, 05:15 AM
Bog old bean,
Know just what you mean, 'tis a thing of joy that you can share jokes, news and info with people from so many varied places, background and drives.

It has it's "down" days for sure, but gotta love the LW community, it's made many a lousy work day bearable. I've been frustrated, angry, all the way to proud and humbled since I've been around these parts.

Long live the wavers! :D