PDA

View Full Version : How large a render can I create?

Johnny
12-08-2006, 06:29 PM
I have a client who's asked me to create a large render of something I did for them 2 years ago...for use in a trade show.

They want it 8 feet by 6 feet @ 300 dpi.

I informed her of the 16000 pixel limit in LW, but about the best I can get my Mini to even accept is 8000 pixels x 5000 pixels.

if my math serves, that would give her something about 72dpi. I know trade show graphics are done at that rez, but clients want what they want.

Is there a trick that will let me render at the size she wants, but a piece at a time, then stitch the pieces together in Photoshop?

I have 2 mac minis, each with a gig of RAM...if I had more RAM, I don't think I'd be butting into the "can't do it" warnings I get when I try to render 16000 pix images.

thanks!

J

BigHache
12-08-2006, 07:39 PM
The short answer is no.

A 16kx16k image (which would be rendered at 72 dpi) gives you over a 700 MB image, and when Resample Image is unchecked in Photoshop and the dpi changed to 300 you actually achieve a 4'-5"x4'-5" image.

Keep in mind that even photography is not capable of being captured at that res. and at that size even for billboards and convention displays or banners.

There are programs that are used to up-res images for that kind of output. Photoshop's interpolation is okay, the other programs are better, but there will be some level of weirdness either way.

Stitching together just sounds like more than you'll want to chew unless you got the RAM to process it or the spare time to sit around and wait.

Hope this helps.

Johnny
12-09-2006, 10:14 AM
I had a burst of enlightenment on this issue when I remembered that Bruce Rayne's Renderfarm Commander handles split renders, thereby cheating around my limitations by enabling the computer(s) to render a large format image in slices.

14,400 x 10,800 is impossible for my Mini, no matter how many segments. However, 32 slices of 10,800 x 450 each is quite possible!

Joiner, which comes with RFC, will then unite those slices into one image.

I might have my hands full in terms of handling the assembled 8' x 6' image, but at least it's *possible* for me to do it.

what a relief!

J

avkills
12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
I think you will want to have lots more RAM for working with an image that big.

-mark

Johnny
12-09-2006, 12:10 PM
like how much more?

my guesstimate is that the image will weigh in at about 400 mb, which i know I can handle based on experience.

I'm not going to do anything with it other than assemble it, then FTP it or burn it to disc and send to my client. they will color correct or make adjustments on their end.

the final result will be printed large-format for a trade show exhibit.

thanks for feedback and tips!

J

BigHache
12-09-2006, 02:16 PM
You'd want at least twice the amount of RAM compared to the size of the file, and that's if you turn off the History levels in PS, and plenty of scratch disk space too.

I think you're looking at closer to a 1 GB file, flattened.

Let us know how it turns out. :)

Johnny
12-09-2006, 02:19 PM
OK..forewarned is forearmed...

I'll let you know how it turns out. thank you for helping me with the information and advice!

J

toby
12-10-2006, 02:16 AM
Hm, they want Vogue magazine quality res, but 8 feet high, and which will be viewed from 10ft instead of 6 inches.
Clients are IDIOTS.
Render at 150dpi, blow it up, then give it to 'em.

ingo
12-10-2006, 02:47 AM
Actually i would first ask the guy/the shop who prints this big poster what resolution his printer needs. I have seen a giant poster like that at 300dpi which is really impressive, but of course you need a lot of detail in your modell to make use of it, otherwise 150dpi is more than enough.

Johnny
12-10-2006, 06:33 AM
Hm, they want Vogue magazine quality res, but 8 feet high, and which will be viewed from 10ft instead of 6 inches.
Clients are IDIOTS.
Render at 150dpi, blow it up, then give it to 'em.

Heh..yeah..couldn't have put it better myself.

J