PDA

View Full Version : Stencilling onto a curved surface

Belistner
12-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Hi,
I am trying to stencil and shape onto a surface which curves (in two directions at once). This results in the stencil I have drawn being distorted and it's just not the same shape. I have tried to bend my stencil and redraw it to compensate for the distortion but it's just working.

Is there any alternative to stencilling? Or is there a way to temporarily lie the polys flat to stencil onto them or something? It's probably a simple solution but I haven't found any solutions.

Thanks
Lewis

connerh
12-08-2006, 01:23 PM
Well... you could extrude your object, then copy your base object to another layer, then boolean subtract on one layer and then boolean intersect on the other...

Belistner
12-09-2006, 09:07 AM
Thanks for the tip - unfortunately I stil can't get it to work. I'm a bit of a newbie! Boolean subtracting the base object from the extruded stencil gives the wrong shape - as it needs to sort of wrap around.

It's difficult to describe. I'm trying to put the Cockpit windows on the front of a 747 - see this image
http://www.panamair.org/aircraft/b747-100/paa747cockpit-schreiber.jpg

As they sort of wrap round I can't seem to stencil them on and have them be the right shape.

Thanks
Lewis

hrgiger
12-09-2006, 10:46 AM
I would use a solid shape boolean to cut it out. This is a quick and dirty exampe but it would be something like this. You just have to spend a little more time making a more accurate cutting shape and it will require some clean up after the cut but then booleans usally do. It will give you the shape you want and will respect the curvature of the model.

Belistner
12-09-2006, 04:38 PM
Thanks for the help.

I've managed to get the front two windows on using this technique. I'm still having trouble with the side windows as they wrap around it at a weird angle.

Just seems like there should be an easy way to do what I've no idea what!

thanks
Lewis

hrgiger
12-09-2006, 05:19 PM
You should be able to do the side windows just the same. The thing to keep in mind is that you want your boolean cutter objects to follow the curvature of the object you are cutting (as opposed to just lining them all up in a straight line down one axis.

Another thing you should consider in the future is building the model from the windows out. It's very easy to build the window shape, and then extrude outwards to form a strip that you can then attach to the rest of the plane.

Belistner
12-09-2006, 05:32 PM
Another thing you should consider in the future is building the model from the windows out. It's very easy to build the window shape, and then extrude outwards to form a strip that you can then attach to the rest of the plane.

I would have liked to do that but I'm still learning and don't know how! Stencilling is the only way i know of thus far to do this.

I'll keep going at it. Cheers very much for the help.

thanks
Lewis

hrgiger
12-09-2006, 05:38 PM
Another tip I can give is that you could always build the windows on a flat plane and then use any of the various modify tools in modeler to bend it to form a curved shape.

Something else- Here is a technique I showed someone before on cutting geometry and then making it subpatch friendly. It's on this page of this thread...the older pages like this you have to open the image files manually, I don't think they automatically appear in thumbnail form. I don't know if this will be of any help but I just thought I would add it in here:

http://www.newtek.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11372&page=2&highlight=mosquito

Silkrooster
12-09-2006, 09:58 PM
Just a thought,
Select the all the polygons that you want your window, use the add edge tool(ver.8.5) or connect tool(ver.9) Make sure the edges connect to the points if you plan on sub patching. If your side of car has a thickness, make the inside match for the new edges. Now select just the polygons inside the new edge for both side of that wall and use the bridge tool. This should create a hole that can be sub patched.
This is just an alternative that theoretically should work. One thing you will learn about lightwave is there is more than one way to skin a cat.(not literally lol)
Silk