PDA

View Full Version : Renderus interuptus

robk
12-08-2006, 08:27 AM
So here's my beef. I go to setup a final rendering on a project last night when I leave work. I set the camera to 6000x3000 pixels. I start the render and I get the message something like "not enough ram". I say ok I have a lot of hi-res cars in the scene better make a smaller render. I check the task manager and see I am using about 1.3 gig of the 2 gigs of ram. So I lower the res to 5000x2500. The render starts processing and is already at 11 segments out of 32 before I leave work (mainly sky up top thats why it starts so fast) So I leave for home knowing my morning deadline will be met.
I come to work in the morning and what do I see yes the render has completed 32 of 32 segments, but there is another annoying small window on my screen saying "not enough ram for image processing" Thank goodness that my deadline for the project was my own self imposed one.
Do you think the software enginners might have been able to figure out I didn't have enough ram befoere I started the render like the 6000x3000 render I first tried. NOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! why would the program be that smart! Lets just render the project and tell the sorry sucker that I can't save the image. I guess I don't wonder as much why I use my FPRIME for 99% of my renders. I had to use F10 because I was using HD Instanced cars in the scene.(of course I had to use 8.5 instead of 9 because HD Instance is broken in 9) And people wonder why there was such an upswell of annoyance when there was no new Fprime to go with LW9 and the fact we haven't heard anything more since that joint anouncement from Worley and Newtek which I beleive was quite a few months ago now. I guess the people that were complaining have sucked it up or have talked with their feet and moved on to other packages (i.e. Modo)
Back on track here. Why can't lightwave save out the image while it is rendering it. Is it because of the quaint antiquated z-buffer render system it is still using to render after all there years? Their advanced camera seems to be a scanline renderer (also old school) which should be able to save out portions as it goes. The Imagine renderer I used for years could render 20000x10000 images and never failed to save the image.

Newtek please get your SH** together. Iron out your problems with third party plugins or at least give me a renderer that so I won't have a fear coming to work in the morning to see yet another render has fails. Even Worley figured out how to use less ram using his "low ram targa saver".
I wouldn't be suprised if he moves on to support other packages. I'm sure he probably has shouldered enough abuse on his own to make him wonder if it is worth while waiting for you guys to muddle through your changes.

BeeVee
12-08-2006, 09:25 AM
I wouldn't use LightWave, that's what is taking the RAM... ;) I'm serious actually. You should use Screamernet to render the frame and if you don't want to set up a Mode 3 Screamernet to do it, and I understand, use the plug-in from DStorm called LWSN Controller (http://www.dstorm.co.jp/english/plugin/other.htm) on this page...

B

robk
12-08-2006, 09:32 AM
I have BNR for network rendering. haven't had taht much luck with it. Always seem to have something not pathed correctly. I will try the dstorm plugin thanks for the reply.

BeeVee
12-08-2006, 09:43 AM
You need to make sure you are using the Content Directory to be safe...

B

Exception
12-08-2006, 12:00 PM
I hear your pain...

You can render larger resolutions by splitting them vertically and stich them together afterwards.
Its a stopgap measure but at least it will get your image out.

robk
12-11-2006, 12:37 PM
You can render larger resolutions by splitting them vertically and stich them together afterwards.
Its a stopgap measure but at least it will get your image out.

How would you split them vertically? Use limited region?
I am using 8.5 since HD Instance (which I am using on this project) will not work with LW 9

Is there a plugin for breaking up the camera view so you can render quadrants or other divided areas.
The butterfly net render I have will split up a large image into segments but it seem you still need enough ram to render the whole image anyways before it will work, so it will just get you there faster on smaller images but still won't help if your scene is still to ram intensive.

robk
12-11-2006, 03:51 PM
I wouldn't use LightWave, that's what is taking the RAM... I'm serious actually. You should use Screamernet to render the frame and if you don't want to set up a Mode 3 Screamernet to do it, and I understand, use the plug-in from DStorm called LWSN Controller on this page...

Ben

I tried the plugin and it seems to work. The only problen is that after I run it it trashes my menu setup (i.e. all my Fprime menu button disappear). Is the what usually happens when you run the dstorm plugin?
I haven't looked any further to see what else it may have affected.

Exception
12-11-2006, 04:36 PM
How would you split them vertically? Use limited region?
I am using 8.5 since HD Instance (which I am using on this project) will not work with LW 9

Is there a plugin for breaking up the camera view so you can render quadrants or other divided areas.
The butterfly net render I have will split up a large image into segments but it seem you still need enough ram to render the whole image anyways before it will work, so it will just get you there faster on smaller images but still won't help if your scene is still to ram intensive.

You don't need enough ram for the whole image... if you split it vertically that is, if you split it horizontally, then, yes...
Use 'Limited Region No Border', the No Border part being very important. There's plugins flying around in flay.com... i don't use any so can't recommend one.