PDA

View Full Version : object help

Vel_crow
12-08-2006, 04:40 AM
ok this might be a stupid question but ive tried everything, i d/l a trial version of lightwave and some free startrek models, but they come in different parts, like the cockpit is a seperate object from the hull. and i cant seem to get them together in modeller when i load them, they end up on different layers or something, how do i get them to load all together as one piece?

gjjackson
12-08-2006, 07:26 AM
That's typical of objects to use different layers, especially for animation. If you Do want to combine the layers, there's Flatten layers will do that.

MooseDog
12-08-2006, 07:45 AM
humbly suggesting you learn how to work in modeler in different layers. a real! strong point of speeding your modelling work.

if you're exporting the mesh for other uses that might require it, then definetly flatten the model. depending on your uses though, it might not be necessary though. think it through.

good luck and good learning!

Silkrooster
12-08-2006, 05:11 PM
While you are learning lightwave, leaving the objects in seperate layers is a good idea from a texturing point as well. To apply a texture to each section each part would need a surface name to apply a different texture.
When learning to model it is easy to forget to name the surface. If the sections were in 1 layer and the points are merged, making it a single object, a beginner may have some difficulty selecting the right polygons to name the surface. This is not to say it can not be done, because it can be done, when you learn what each tool does.
However if each section is in a seperate layer and you forget to name a surface, you only need to select that layer and press q key to name that entire section. The only thing you would have to worry about is moving a section, as it then would not line up with the rest of the object. However ctrl-z will undo your mistakes.
Whether to keep all sections in seperate layers or a single layer is totally up to you, and whether or not you plan on animating the object. If any section is to be moved or rotated, then keep that section in a seperate layer.
ctrl-x will cut a section from a layer and ctrl-v will paste a section into a layer you selected. Take a look on the view tab and you will find tools for flattening all layers into one, etc.
Since you are using the trial version you should be aware, that the program is limited in what it can do. I am assuming the same limits are still in place, as I have not seen the latest trial version. The renders should have a watermark on them, looks like a checkerboard pattern. The maximum size of the object is 400 points. To remove these limits requires purchasing the full version of lightwave.
There are a lot of free tutorials on the web to get you going. to see a list of some of the sites, in my signature is a link for the web links, at the top of the list for lightwave is a pdf that you can use for reference.
Silk