PDA

View Full Version : Displacement with Nodes Problem

G3D
12-07-2006, 05:11 PM
I'm doing some work with APS, ZBrush, Bones and Weighmaps.
At this point I'm trying out several ways of doing my displacements. I'm hoping to use different UV sets on the same model to apply separate displacement maps to a model. To find out what I can and cant do, I set up a node network that combines six separate UV spaces matched with six separate displacement images to a Sub-D cube.
I hoping to use the Add function to combine the effects of all six images to drive the Scale portion of my Spot Info node. So far I can only get one of the six images to do any displacement. I've tried using the math->Add scalar node to add the effects of each of the UV mapped images. I've also tried using math->Add vector but neither works.
Is it only possible to use one UV mapped image to displace an object?
Maybe using the layer node would work?
Anyone else try this? I'll post more results later.

G3D
12-07-2006, 05:48 PM
Used the layer node as a way of combining all six images. Problem is that only 3 of six will render, and its always only the projections from negative x, y and z. Any ideas on why this might be? I would thing that if all parts of the object are mapped and covered, it should work the same way on all parts of the model. Seems like I'm getting closer.

BTW, the reason I want to be able to displace with several maps is because I need to break my model apart with Zbrush to be able to get maximum detail. There is a pretty good tutorial on how to do this on cg talk:
http://forums.cgsociety.org/showthread.php?t=200732&page=1&highlight=lord+darkness+tutorial

G3D
12-08-2006, 12:20 PM
... I tried playing around with different settings in the Displacement Node Editor
and no luck so far. I can only get it to work with 3 layers. I've included a couple pics of my setup. As you can see in the Node setup, there is a scalar texture layer that contains six layers that use six separate UV spaces, one for each side of the Sub-D cube. But in the render and the Open GL view, only the three sides corresponding to the negative x, y and z get any displacement.
Maybe some out there has some solutions for this situation ...

Sensei
12-08-2006, 04:26 PM
Try merging them in node editor instead of texture editor.. And use Smoothed normal vector..

G3D
12-08-2006, 08:21 PM
... I am using the Node Editor already. The layers on the left of the first image are part of the Scalar Texture Layer, which is a node in the Node Editor. Doing it this way (with the Scalar Texture Layer) was my second option. I already tried using a separate 2d texture node for each image/uv space and combined them using "add" nodes of both scalar and vector--though not at the same time. The second method was more successful, but not quite what I want. Plus the limit of only 3 usable layers is a deal breaker. Its looking more like this is another bug.
Hope the above is clear.
Thanks!

Sensei
12-09-2006, 02:12 AM
I know what you're tring to do, but there is rule "if something doesn't work try different approach, maybe it'll start working, or at least you will start understanding what is the problem".. I repeated your steps but with textured image, and noticed very important thing- points must be unwelded before creating UV map the first time.. If I tried to merge it and then unweld when UV was ready got broken texture.. My image was black with color texts, and using Additive blending mode made background grey from black (?!).. But using Normal blending mode gave correct results on the all cube faces.. Now I will try to displace it somehow.. But with 6 poly cube that will hurt.. ;)

I am attaching it just in case you would like to play with something that already works (but in texture image mode, not yet displacement)..

G3D
12-09-2006, 11:52 AM
Got it working! The original method was the right idea. I used individual images as separate nodes, but didn't use luma as the output. Use luma and it will work. Will post images soon.

G3D
12-09-2006, 11:56 AM
This is the setup that worked:
Use individual UV images and combine with scalar add nodes. When connecting the nodes, be sure to use "luma" output for each UV image. Thats it!

Sensei
12-09-2006, 02:13 PM
BTW, there is special node to add four inputs together.. This might little simplify your setup by removing duplicated add nodes..

G3D
12-09-2006, 04:36 PM
I found that node. Too bad there isn't an expandable version. But better than adding 2 at a time.