PDA

View Full Version : rendering problems.

andyn
12-07-2006, 06:56 AM
Need help!!! I am very new to lightwave and slowly learning the basics. I am having trouble with the rendering. Everytime I render an object moving across the screen it seems to step along, rather than move smoothly across the screen . It looks to me like the fields have been reversed.

I would appreciate any help on this as I have a deadline fast approaching. I have looked through the manual and tried different render settings but nothing seems to help.

thanks

Iaian7
12-07-2006, 08:12 AM
Is motion blur turned on, and at what level is your anti-aliasing?

If you're currently trying to use frames, I might suggest trying without first, and making sure things look right.

If that doesn't fix things, you might want to post an example so people can see exactly what you're encountering.

andyn
12-07-2006, 09:35 AM
thanks for your help. tried motion blur but no help. Anti aliasing is set to 3 in example but I have tried the highest and the same result. rendering in frames. fields gives me a worse result. please take a look at the example.

thanks

avkills
12-07-2006, 01:53 PM
What is your delivery output? Video? Web? DVD?

Besides that, render at 60fps progressive and use AfterEffects to convert to the video format of your edit. Make sure to tell AE that the sequence is 60fps.

-mark

Iaian7
12-07-2006, 03:18 PM
Hmm, yeah, it's just lacking motion blur. When you tried it, what level did you set the motion blur too? 50% is a decent starting point, but if jagged motion is an issue, I often use 75%-95%.

Also, what version of Lightwave are you using? Version 9 has the PLD anti-aliasing modes, which I think give a pretty decent result in fewer AA passes (I'd suggest nothing lower than 7 for final animations, but it depends on how much movement you have).

Oh, the bevel on the edge of the box is looking good, nice interactions with the highlights!

andyn
12-07-2006, 05:14 PM
Thanks for all of your help. Will try the motion blur thing and see if it helps when I increase the the percentage. Will also try the 60 fps render. this could help the shift in each frame which seem to be happening. This is for TV. Final result will be Pal uncompressed 8bit.

thanks

avkills
12-08-2006, 09:18 AM
Well since PAL is 25fps, then you might try 50fps progressive and then let your compositing app interpret the file as 50fps and then do the conversion to the proper 25fps PAL format. Although I thought that PAL was not interlaced to begin with.

-mark

dsol
12-11-2006, 06:00 AM
Well since PAL is 25fps, then you might try 50fps progressive and then let your compositing app interpret the file as 50fps and then do the conversion to the proper 25fps PAL format. Although I thought that PAL was not interlaced to begin with.

-mark

Or if your final output is going to be progressive (25fps, no movement across fields) just render it at 25fps with plenty of antialiasing passes. And motion blur. Motion blur is very important ;) Make sure it's checked in your camera options