PDA

View Full Version : Mirror Hierarchy - coordinate system

Gelon
12-07-2006, 02:20 AM
I'm rigging with bones directly in Layout (how sweet is that).

But when I mirror something (say the left arm) I get a perfect mirror, but the coordinate systems on the new bones seems to have been rotated 180 degrees around the mirror axis.

What this does is it let's me copy (or mirror) constraints of let's say the elbow, but that gets aplied as if rotated 180. So I have a perfect left arm, I mirror (or copy to mirrored bones - I tried alot of ways to do this) and I get a right arm that bends backwards within the left arm limits.

I have followed some really great video tutorials and time after time I see the same process but with the correct result? Am I missing something? Maybe some symmetry-option?

If you don't understand what I'm talking about, let me know. I'll post pictures, more explanations, anything! :)

By the way - :lightwave

Gelon
12-07-2006, 02:31 AM
DANG! I posted in the wrong forum. Should have been General Support.
(what a newb) SORRY! :(

SplineGod
12-07-2006, 03:34 AM
which version of LW are you using?

Gelon
12-07-2006, 04:45 AM
I'm using Lightwave v9 (that's why I accidentally posted here)

Neuroup
12-07-2006, 10:06 AM
I had this same problem with my character. I think you need to use "the reset pivot tool" this option should you help.
Let me gest? You are reading book "Cartoon Character Creation"??

Bye!

Gelon
12-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Hi again
I'm discovering alot of workflowes for setting up a rig (which is what I am focusing on right now). So let me just go through the steps I did really fast and start from there.

1. Import an .obj (done in Zbrush, imported into Modeler and set the pivot position and orientation). And finaly save the .obj again.
2. Import .obj i Layout and start drawing bones (draw child bone).
3. Now whenever I draw a left side (left arm and left leg) I use Mirror Hierarchy and get the right-side version (mirrored version). Voila - a finished bone skeleton.
4. I rest all the bones and turn on deformation. Then aply IK Boost to the model and I'm ready to set limits with the IK Boost Tool (ctrl + drag handle).

5. Now here's where I get stuck. I want to set limits on the left side bones and then copy/mirror those limits onto the right side bones. I do this by selecting the left_knee_bone (the IK Boost joint in the knee), then select the right_knee_bone, right-click on the right_knee_bone to get the options menu, and under Options I select: Setting copy from 'left_knee_bone'.

When I copy the limits this way the result is backwards. For example the right_knee in the above example will bend foward instead of back like the left one does.

This should explain what I'm trying to do and hopefully what I am doing wrong.
Oh and I'm running LW 9 on a pc (if that helps).

Thx in advance :)

SplineGod
12-07-2006, 06:40 PM
I havent had that problem. Ill check it out. :)