PDA

View Full Version : glow behind transparency and on image maps

Arcturus
06-16-2003, 10:15 PM
I just started modelling and am pretty much a total newbie. I've used most of the tutorials here to guide me through the basics, and have spent a bit of time modelling my philips phone. I've used the glow effect to make it appear as though the light and screen are on, but having the screen behind a semi-transparent surface seems to remove the effect.

Here's what i'm talking about:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mschumann/phone-dark.jpg

So i used the transparent surface instead and placed my image map on that:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~mschumann/phone-light.jpg

I'd still like to get this glow to work under the transparent surface though. Secondly, i have image maps for all the buttons, and would like to somehow apply a glow effect to the numbers only (not the whole buttons). I don't want to re-model all the buttons so is there a way to do this easily?

Thanks for your help.

marvin
06-16-2003, 11:18 PM
I actually just did a test and it seemed to work fine for me. Try boosting up the intensity and the glow radius in the effects panel.

What might also help is illuminating the screens surface, although I didn't do this.

Although, I do have to point out that I did not use an image map on the glowing surface. Mine was just a surface.

marvin

Arcturus
06-17-2003, 12:00 AM
Still doesn't seem to work, i cranked up the intensity to like 10000% but it still didn't work. I figured it wouldn't be the issue since it works on the light at the top of the phone.

Any ideas on how to light up the image maps on the keypad?

toby
06-17-2003, 01:28 AM
try using "Corona" under "Effects/Add Image Filter" then set it's Input Channel to "Luminosity"

for the numbers, make another version of the map you already have, with only the buttons' numbers on it, and put it in the Luminosity channel

Arcturus
06-17-2003, 02:02 AM
Originally posted by toby
try using "Corona" under "Effects/Add Image Filter" then set it's Input Channel to "Luminosity"

for the numbers, make another version of the map you already have, with only the buttons' numbers on it, and put it in the Luminosity channel

I've added Corona and set its input channel to luminosity, but i'm somewhat at a loss as to how to add my map to the luminosity channel (being a newbie) :)

Since i've used a photoshop image (white text on a transparent background) as the image map it seemed to apply a nice glow when not applying anything to the luminosity channel :) I'll have a play with it some more before i'm at a total loss, thanks for your help it's greatly appreciated.

toby
06-17-2003, 02:11 AM
add a luminosity map by clicking the "T" next to the Luminosity channel in the surface editor -

Arcturus
06-17-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by toby
add a luminosity map by clicking the "T" next to the Luminosity channel in the surface editor -

ah nice, thanks this is starting to work nicely.

Palash
06-17-2003, 03:42 PM
I'm having the same problem, but with a glass ball with a thunder inside. I try to make it glowing, however it doesn't work. The problem with corona is that it also adds some glow to other things which are on thew image.

Can anybody help?

toby
06-17-2003, 03:55 PM
when you set Corona's Input channel to "Luminosity", it will only apply itself to objects with luminous surfaces, if they are bright enough (you set the brightness tolerance with the "Input Threshold" value).

If you have other luminous surfaces that you don't want to glow, you could set those objects (or those surfaces) to not affect Alpha channel, then set Corona's "Threshold mask" to Alpha. It will then only apply itself to things it sees in the alpha channel.